IGNORED

PXG 0211 Driver - Just Say No?

Zippo

So, I've got it in my head that I "need" the new PXG 0211 driver. The price is pretty amazing - $249 (plus shipping, I assume) for a new driver, shaft and midsize grip seems pretty sweet. I'm currently using a hand me down TaylorMade M1 driver head (that was given to me) on a regular flex shaft. One concern for me is that I really have no way to test hit the PXG before purchasing. The nearest PXG facility that I know of is a 6 hour round trip drive through some heavy traffic. (The thing I like best about Seattle is seeing it in my rearview mirror, as they say). PXG does have a return policy but you have to pay to ship it back and there's a 15% "restocking" fee.

Reviews are few, that I can find, but what there is seems favorable. One reviewer compared it to the Ping G425 (but much less expensive). And, the price! Sheesh. I'm probably going to call PXG tomorrow and talk to them but there's still time to talk me out of it...

• Administrator

They're good drivers.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mine has been in the bag for two rounds now, and I really like it. Well worth every penny.

Edited by tristanhilton85
  • Like 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

1 hour ago, tristanhilton85 said:

Mine has been in the bag for two rounds now, and I really like it. Well worth every penny.

Thank you! Good to hear.

Sheesh! I'm looking for y'all to talk me out of it! Too late now. Just placed the order. Should be here within a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to banging some golf balls with it.

It's a bit strange that they can sell this driver for $245.00 US (got $5.00 off for calling them to place the order). Gave them a chance to try and sell me more clubs and a hat or towel. 🙂 Anyway, I got it with the "Regular flex" Project X EvenFlo CB 60g shaft. I asked him if I decided I wanted a 50g shaft instead, later, could I buy just a shaft from PXG. He laughed and said "Yes" but it would be like $200 for just the shaft. With that logic I'm only paying $45 for the PXG driver head? Weird. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

That’s not how that works. As you know.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

Sheesh! I'm looking for y'all to talk me out of it! Too late now. Just placed the order. Should be here within a couple of weeks and I'm looking forward to banging some golf balls with it.

It's a bit strange that they can sell this driver for $245.00 US (got $5.00 off for calling them to place the order). Gave them a chance to try and sell me more clubs and a hat or towel. 🙂 Anyway, I got it with the "Regular flex" Project X EvenFlo CB 60g shaft. I asked him if I decided I wanted a 50g shaft instead, later, could I buy just a shaft from PXG. He laughed and said "Yes" but it would be like $200 for just the shaft. With that logic I'm only paying $45 for the PXG driver head? Weird. 

You should get it pretty quickly. I ordered mine on 2/15 and it was delivered 2/20. They're based out of AZ, and I'm in SoCal, so the shipping was pretty quick to get to me. You may experience an extra couple of days depending on where you live.

Also, if you're looking for a different shaft for it, you could always look at getting something from The Golf Works. They have pretty much any shaft you'd want as well as the PXG adapter. I believe they can install the adapter for you as well for a small fee.

Edited by tristanhilton85
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Thank you,@tristanhilton85. I expect they'll ship it as soon as they can. I'm in NW Washington so might be a day longer but no worries. They fellow I spoke with also sent me his contact info so I have that if I have any questions.

16 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Thank you,@tristanhilton85. I expect they'll ship it as soon as they can. I'm in NW Washington so might be a day longer but no worries. They fellow I spoke with also sent me his contact info so I have that if I have any questions.

I think you'll like it quite a bit. I ended up adding the 0311 Gen 2 irons to my bag as well. I've been wanting new irons and the price was too good for me to pass up.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

4 hours ago, Zippo said:

Let us know if you drive the 5th at Shuksan with it.  Summer conditions, of course.

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Let us know if you drive the 5th at Shuksan with it.  Summer conditions, of course.

That's a blind par 4, isn't it? Green's down in a hole. Probably not but I'm betting I can drive the 2nd with it.

• 2 weeks later...

New driver came today. Looks great and swings pretty well, too. Whacked a few balls in the back 40 and they seem to fly pretty well but I'll know more when I get it out on the course on Monday.

The clubhead, shaft and midsize grip combo feel a tad lighter to me than the old TaylorMade M1 driver. I checked out the PXG website to see if I could find the weight of the head and noticed that they'd raised the price of the driver by $40. I think this is one of the few times in my life when I've bought something and the price hasn't gone down right afterwards!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Zippo said:

New driver came today. Looks great and swings pretty well, too. Whacked a few balls in the back 40 and they seem to fly pretty well but I'll know more when I get it out on the course on Monday.

The clubhead, shaft and midsize grip combo feel a tad lighter to me than the old TaylorMade M1 driver. I checked out the PXG website to see if I could find the weight of the head and noticed that they'd raised the price of the driver by $40. I think this is one of the few times in my life when I've bought something and the price hasn't gone down right afterwards!

And no pictures? Don’t leave us hanging!😜

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

As demand for photos of my new driver was so high and wanting to avoid shunning and excommunication I present for you my new PXG 0211 Driver:

As you can see, it comes with a nice headcover with built in magnet so you can attach it to your cart. Should make it a bit harder to lose the headcover:

IMG_0078.thumb.JPG.d5b9e6f301b2c4619b6438d050b15a25.JPG

Looking down the pretty blue shaft. Everyone knows that blue shafts are faster...

IMG_00791.thumb.jpg.054abd01e08358ba2c38f25392822898.jpg

I like the matt finish on the head and the understated alignment mark.

IMG_00801.thumb.jpg.3362574a63a9241b5432f84e9c95488e.jpg

The shaft wears the midsize PXG grip. Feels pretty good, to me.

IMG_00821.thumb.jpg.1fd2dfa0b272266c184f610360bbfbf3.jpg

So, how did it go? The PXG head has an adjustable loft. I tried it on the standard setting and didn't see much in the way of good drives. I was trying to get used to the different feel of the head, grip and shaft and was pretty much spreading hits over the face of the club. I adjusted the loft "lower" by .5 degrees and found that I was getting some strange ball flights. I'm guessing that those balls were hit with very low spin. I adjusted the head back to standard and hit a ball and felt that the ball flight was a bit low so raised the loft .5 degrees and hit a couple more. You can see the first ball in the lower portion of this image and the next 2 balls a bit beyond it. There was a pretty good headwind, around 10 to 15 knots, so I didn't get as much distance but I was pretty pleased with the dispersion. That's a lot tighter group than I'm used to but I guess time will tell.

Anyway, for the money, it's a great driver. I got the 60 gram shaft in R flex. I have another shaft that I think is a bit lighter that I'd like to try but I'll need to get a PXG tip put on it first.

IMG_00861.thumb.jpg.6229c234ae5fdd1d9d6ccf9f3b1b6aee.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1