IGNORED

Looking for Carry Bag Recommendations

Note: This thread is 1140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm going to be in the market for a new bag soon and thought I'd probe the wisdom of the TST hive mind.

Currently I have a Ping Hoofer, I think a 2017 or 2018 model. I bought it to replace my previous Ping Hoofer, which I used for at least 10 years, probably more. The current Hoofer I have seems to have something wrong with the leg folding/unfolding mechanism. The legs don't unfold smoothly and sometimes they don't extend completely and the bag falls over. Then the legs simply refuse to fold back up, and even if I straighten the bag and push them in manually, when I pick up the bag, they start sagging again. I called Ping about 6 months ago, and they told me I was out of luck for getting the bag fixed/replaced. In my opinion, the Hoofer internal folding mechanism isn't the best design, and I am hesitant to buy another one. So I am ready to move on from Ping Hoofer bags.

What I am looking for:

• Robust legs and folding mechanism. Highest priority, second being comfort.
  • Comfortable to carry, but doesn't have to be super light or anything because I use my push cart more often than not.
  • Room for13 clubs, and maybe a 14th for times when I feel I need/want it. No need for 14-dividers, in fact I would prefer not to have 14 individual slots.
  • Enough room for minimal amount of accessories. I usually carry a 2-3 sleeves of balls, a small bag of tees, rangefinder, club adjustment tools, water bottle, and pitch mark repair tool.
  • Doesn't need bells and whistles, like phone charger, etc.

I've been looking at Sun Mountain, Callaway, Ogio, Titleist, etc., the usual suspects. Any recommendations, positive feedback on any carry bags would be great.

Also, I really love Ping Hoofers for some reason, so feel free to convince me my current bag was just a lemon, and I should just get another Hoofer.

Thanks!

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My first thought when I saw the title was a PING Hoofer. They have always been my go to for good stand bags, however, it seems that you've had a bit of bad luck with them.

My other go to for bags is Sun Mountain. I think the 3.5 maybe a good one for you.

• Like 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Sun Mountain 2.5. Solid leg mechanism, 4 way full length dividers, plenty of storage and fits really well in a push cart. I only use 12 sometimes 13 clubs with no issues. 

• Like 1

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

9 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I'm going to be in the market for a new bag soon and thought I'd probe the wisdom of the TST hive mind.

Currently I have a Ping Hoofer, I think a 2017 or 2018 model. I bought it to replace my previous Ping Hoofer, which I used for at least 10 years, probably more. The current Hoofer I have seems to have something wrong with the leg folding/unfolding mechanism. The legs don't unfold smoothly and sometimes they don't extend completely and the bag falls over. Then the legs simply refuse to fold back up, and even if I straighten the bag and push them in manually, when I pick up the bag, they start sagging again. I called Ping about 6 months ago, and they told me I was out of luck for getting the bag fixed/replaced. In my opinion, the Hoofer internal folding mechanism isn't the best design, and I am hesitant to buy another one. So I am ready to move on from Ping Hoofer bags.

What I am looking for:

• Robust legs and folding mechanism. Highest priority, second being comfort.
  • Comfortable to carry, but doesn't have to be super light or anything because I use my push cart more often than not.
  • Room for13 clubs, and maybe a 14th for times when I feel I need/want it. No need for 14-dividers, in fact I would prefer not to have 14 individual slots.
  • Enough room for minimal amount of accessories. I usually carry a 2-3 sleeves of balls, a small bag of tees, rangefinder, club adjustment tools, water bottle, and pitch mark repair tool.
  • Doesn't need bells and whistles, like phone charger, etc.

I've been looking at Sun Mountain, Callaway, Ogio, Titleist, etc., the usual suspects. Any recommendations, positive feedback on any carry bags would be great.

Also, I really love Ping Hoofers for some reason, so feel free to convince me my current bag was just a lemon, and I should just get another Hoofer.

Thanks!

I’ve had so many bags I can’t count them. I must say I’ve always done well with Sun Mountain. I also must say I highly respect your ability to use a bag that isn’t the brand of your clubs. I’m so ridiculously picky about that. 

Should you decide on Sun Mountain I have a mint condition Blue/Silver SM I’ll give you a hell of a deal on....pics will come if you’re interested.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

@Vinsk - thanks, definitely interested. My only hesitation is regarding shipping cost. Last time I tried to sell a golf bag, the shipping cost via UPS and FedEx was close to $60, and I was selling the bag for $30. The buyer, rightfully, backed out of the sale.

-Peter

Huge fan of Sun Mountain and Titleist bags for function and durability, although I wish they both would include an option for single strap, as I hate the double back strap when walking (and recently have been using a push cart).  You can find plenty of deals from respectable online merchants, and will often get "Free Shipping" as an enticement.  (Seems crazy how UPS and FedEx can charge so much for shipping such a light item...)

Most name brands will work well. 

I've had zipper issues with Sun Mountain bags. 

I would just inspect them at your local golf store. See which ones look like the mechanisms work well and which ones have good quality. 

I've always liked Ping and Ogio golf bags. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

18 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Not sure how long you've had the Sun Mountain bag, but I had an issue with my bag after a year of use (back in 1990's era), and they replaced the bag for free because it had become a common issue.  The zipper issue sounds like maybe worth investigating?  

Best of luck!

40 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I would just inspect them at your local golf store. See which ones look like the mechanisms work well and which ones have good quality. 

I’ve had one Ogio bag and I really liked it as well. In fact, I think that is the bag my brother currently uses. He ends up with a lot of the stuff I replace if it’s still in good shape. 

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

On 2/28/2021 at 5:28 PM, HoganApexFan said:

Not sure how long you've had the Sun Mountain bag, but I had an issue with my bag after a year of use (back in 1990's era), and they replaced the bag for free because it had become a common issue.  The zipper issue sounds like maybe worth investigating?  

Best of luck!

Even if it is older you may want to give Sun Mountain an email or a call.  They replaced the bag strap for me on a >10 year old bag.  I have had good experience with their customer service on a wheel issue with my push cart as well.

On 2/27/2021 at 10:56 PM, Darkfrog said:
  • I usually carry a 2-3 sleeves of balls

What you only play 9 holes.... 

JK.

I've had a ton of carry bags in my life. I have always preferred hoofing it. Sun Mountain, as others have mentioned are really good. Here's a tip, do you have a Dunhams Sporting Goods near you? If so, they always have coupons for like 20% off any purchase. (sign up for their emails and you'll get one.) Walking into a Dunhams around here is like going back in time. Everything they have seems to be the model from 2 to 5 years ago. There prices are really cheap and I don't think bag technology has advanced much in the last 2-5 years. My suggestion, go to Dunhams, get a Nike bag. 

Nike made great carry bags, back when they made golf stuff. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I have an Inesis bag from Decathlon.  Much cheaper than the usual suspects.  Not sure if they are easily available in the States, but if so go for it.  Decent quality.  I mostly use a two wheeler push cart, also from Inesis, and have no complaints about quality for either. 

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

3 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I have an Inesis bag from Decathlon.  Much cheaper than the usual suspects.  Not sure if they are easily available in the States, but if so go for it.  Decent quality.  I mostly use a two wheeler push cart, also from Inesis, and have no complaints about quality for either. 

Good recommendation with Inesis as well.   Not sure too many people know what Decathlon is in the states unless they visited a location outside the US.  Decathlon does internet sales in the states through their presence in the San Francisco area.  I have a small Inesis bag that is of decent quality that fits a half set, and use their tees and golf gloves.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying @Vinsk's Sun Mountain bag for a great deal, so I'll be trying out a new brand for awhile. The leg folding mechanism is great, and the bag seems well put together.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:02 PM, tristanhilton85 said:

My first thought when I saw the title was a PING Hoofer

On 2/28/2021 at 2:07 PM, saevel25 said:

I love the design and utility of Ping Hoofer bags, so the leg folding issues with my current bag was disappointing. The Hoofer I had before was given to me by a friend, and I used it for many years without problems, and he must have had it for a few years before I had it, so it was robust to say the least.

I've seen some Ogio and Sun Mountain bags on course, and they've always looked nice. A friend of mine who occasionally golfs has a Sun Mountain LS 4.5, and has had no complaints.

12 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I have an Inesis bag from Decathlon

8 hours ago, weberd27 said:

Good recommendation with Inesis as well. 

I've heard of Inesis, but never seen anyone with an Inesis bag. I have found some Inesis balls in the woods. I'll definitely check their bags out next time I am in the market.

12 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

What you only play 9 holes.... 

JK.

I've had a ton of carry bags in my life. I have always preferred hoofing it. Sun Mountain, as others have mentioned are really good. Here's a tip, do you have a Dunhams Sporting Goods near you? If so, they always have coupons for like 20% off any purchase. (sign up for their emails and you'll get one.) Walking into a Dunhams around here is like going back in time. Everything they have seems to be the model from 2 to 5 years ago. There prices are really cheap and I don't think bag technology has advanced much in the last 2-5 years. My suggestion, go to Dunhams, get a Nike bag. 

I have serious scar tissue from losing balls. I used to carry at least 6 sleeves of balls, maybe more. Now that I have improved a bit, I might lose 3-4 balls at most during a really awful round. But I still get a strong anxiety if I don't have at least 2 full sleeves of spares.

No Dunhams around me as far as I know, but sounds like a cool store.

-Peter

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying @Vinsk's Sun Mountain bag for a great deal, so I'll be trying out a new brand for awhile. The leg folding mechanism is great, and the bag seems well put together.

I think you'll be happy with your choice. While PING was the first that came to mind for me, I've had my share of Sun Mountain bags (two of the Tour Series cart bags, a 4.5, and a Titleist stand bag that was a essentially a rebranded 4.5), and they were all great bags.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

22 minutes ago, tristanhilton85 said:

I think you'll be happy with your choice. While PING was the first that came to mind for me, I've had my share of Sun Mountain bags (two of the Tour Series cart bags, a 4.5, and a Titleist stand bag that was a essentially a rebranded 4.5), and they were all great bags.

Seems like a great bag - I'll be taking it out Sunday morning. My only minor nitpick is that the hydration sleeve doesn't fit my rather large 32oz nalgene water bottle (which fit easily in the Hoofer), so I'll have to find a skinnier water bottle.

The tube of the bag is a little smaller than the Ping, but because there are no full length fabric divisions between the openings on the top, the clubs actually go in and out much smoother since the grips don't get stuck on the fabric liner.

-Peter

Looks like the OP's already made his decision, but still I'll put in a good word for the Bridgestone Tour B stand bag.  There are both 5- and 14-way versions.  I have the 14-way version.  I haven't used it, much, yet, but so far I've no complaints.  Stand seems substantial and the mechanism has so far worked flawlessly.  Additionally: It has a Velcro strap you can fasten across the bottoms of the legs to prevent them from being deployed inadvertently, which I feel is a nice touch.

If there was one thing I wish they done it would've been to attach the carry harness with clips, so it could be removed for cart carry.

• Administrator

I’d avoid Sun Mountain. I’ve not had good experiences with them the last five years.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!