IGNORED

Gapping Dilemma

Note: This thread is 1065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good day all

Swing improved a bit so I recently was fitted for new irons. Yay, out of the clunky super game improvement irons to the Callaway Apex DCB's.  LOVE THEM.

My gapping issue is that I now hit my 5iron about 170-175 yards. With the former set that was my 7wood (Titleist 917f2). The next up, after the 7 wood (the lpga club) is the 5 wood (Ping G410) and it fires on a regular basis at 200 yards and a bit more.

So there is that hole between the 5iron and 5 wood. What to do? Hybrid? or ???

I know all y'all will be able to share opinions.

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

Most likely a 4 hybrid will fit in that gap.  Hit some and see what fits your distance gap and you are comfortable with.  However, I must ask the question.  How many clubs do you currently have in your bag.  Do you need to remove a club to accommodate this gap.  And if so, does this affect gapping elsewhere.  The reason for these questions is that your scoring clubs are your shorter irons.  Even assuming you find a club that fits the gap perfectly, it is doubtful you will be able to hit a green accurately and regularly from 200 or so yards out with a long iron/hybrid/fairway wood.

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, MrFreeze said:

I know all y'all will be able to share opinions.

My 2 cents: You need a 185ish club. Hybrid, hybrid iron, high numbered wood, regular iron, that's up to you. I just see that  between 170 to 200 is a common enough distance and a big enough gap that you need to fill it with something reliable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

20 minutes ago, pganapathy said:

Most likely a 4 hybrid will fit in that gap.  Hit some and see what fits your distance gap and you are comfortable with.  However, I must ask the question.  How many clubs do you currently have in your bag.  Do you need to remove a club to accommodate this gap.  And if so, does this affect gapping elsewhere.  The reason for these questions is that your scoring clubs are your shorter irons.  Even assuming you find a club that fits the gap perfectly, it is doubtful you will be able to hit a green accurately and regularly from 200 or so yards out with a long iron/hybrid/fairway wood.

Hello

Thank you for the quick response.

I am playing (14):

Callaway Epic Speed 9*
Ping G410 LST 3wood
Ping G410 5wood
Titleist 917F2 7wood
5-PW Callaway Apex DCB
50, 54, 58 Ping Glide Forged
Odyssey White Hot OG putter

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

4 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

Hello

I am playing (14):

Callaway Epic Speed 9*
Ping G410 LST 3wood
Ping G410 5wood
Titleist 917F2 7wood
5-PW Callaway Apex DCB

Honestly, I think you would be better off not dropping a wedge for a hybrid/long iron, unless there is a club you don't use much.  For example, I tend to use my PW for most shots around a green and from 100 yards in unless I need a specialty club.  My SW and LW are for bunkers and high flop shots where I need to carry something, or where I need more loft than my 45* PW.  In my case I could potentially drop the LW.  Consider which club can be dropped and whether that would cost you strokes

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 1:15 PM, MrFreeze said:

Hello

I am playing (14):

Callaway Epic Speed 9*
Ping G410 LST 3wood
Ping G410 5wood
Titleist 917F2 7wood
5-PW Callaway Apex DCB

Your 5 iron and 7 wood go the same distance? Usually the 7 wood is more like a 3 iron distance in the grand scheme of things. 

I’m a 1.5 handicap and I eschew hybrids though I have 2 of them in my bag currently. I’m trying to get used to hitting the hybrids again. But I hit my irons a little further than yours, but that’s not the point.

My suggestion would be if your insistent on plugging the gap between 175 to 200 (5i to 5w). What would be your target distance with this club? 180-185? 185-190?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I would prob go for a 3 or4 hybrid and replace it for the 7 wood. The way I look at it a hybrid is easier to hit of the tee and from the grass. I always carried an iron set 3-pw. but I carry driver 3 wood and a strong 3 hybrid also ( Titleist 818 H1 set in D1 position ) I did order a new set of irons to make my life a little easier on the course, I play the Mizuno MP59's now and I hardly use the 3 iron, only on a long par 3 with some wind. so in the end it was easy for me to get the new set 4-pw and get an extra wedge in the bag. I will have the Mizuno JPX 921 forged irons soon, with Vokey Sm8 wedges 50 55 60.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

On 5/22/2021 at 3:53 AM, measureoffsetinnm said:

Why not just get a 4 iron? If you hit the 5 fine I don't think there is much reason to fear the 4 with a set like the Apex DCB.

That 4-iron is like a 3-iron... but a 3-iron you have a chance with. Sort of like my ZX5 irons. @MrFreeze are you looking for a 190 yard club or a little closer to the 5-iron distance... say 185?

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

That 4-iron is like a 3-iron... but a 3-iron you have a chance with. Sort of like my ZX5 irons. @MrFreeze are you looking for a 190 yard club or a little closer to the 5-iron distance... say 185?

Right I forgot to look at lofts. Still as you point out it is one you should have a chance with. Sometimes the best answer is the simplest one!

23 minutes ago, measureoffsetinnm said:

Right I forgot to look at lofts. Still as you point out it is one you should have a chance with. Sometimes the best answer is the simplest one!

Long irons are only hard to hit, the lack of visible loft gets in our heads. I think @MrFreeze needs a 21°-23° hybrid or take .75° off his 7-wood. Which might sneak him a 10 yards. 4-iron might be a big ask for him.

On 5/2/2021 at 1:15 PM, colin007 said:

Get the 7 wood bent a few degrees stronger.

I think his 917 is adjustable.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

7 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Long irons are only hard to hit, the lack of visible loft gets in our heads. I think @MrFreeze needs a 21°-23° hybrid or take .75° off his 7-wood. Which might sneak him a 10 yards. 4-iron might be a big ask for him.

This is true but I think worth considering still because of how satisfied he said he was with them. That confidence can help with the mental block that otherwise might be there.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:07 PM, onthehunt526 said:

Your 5 iron and 7 wood go the same distance? Usually the 7 wood is more like a 3 iron distance in the grand scheme of things. 

I’m a 1.5 handicap and I eschew hybrids though I have 2 of them in my bag currently. I’m trying to get used to hitting the hybrids again. But I hit my irons a little further than yours, but that’s not the point.

My suggestion would be if your insistent on plugging the gap between 175 to 200 (5i to 5w). What would be your target distance with this club? 180-185? 185-190?

My NEW 5 iron is going the same distance as my old 7wood. Yes.

Ok. So I went and hit a ton of 20* / 21* hybrids. Nothing really worked well for me. Tried them all. So I went over and tried some 7 woods. The technology has grown great since the 917f2 I had. I finally settled on the Callaway Speed 7 wood. Super easy to hit. Goes about 190ish.

Thank you all.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods

19 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

Ok. So I went and hit a ton of 20* / 21* hybrids. Nothing really worked well for me. Tried them all. So I went over and tried some 7 woods. The technology has grown great since the 917f2 I had. I finally settled on the Callaway Speed 7 wood. Super easy to hit. Goes about 190ish.

Thank you all.

Epic Speed? Like Phil’s Super Driver?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

53 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

Thank you all.

Well I can't say upgrading the 7 wood head is not also a simple answer. Update your signature!

Note: This thread is 1065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!