IGNORED

Who's Had The Better Career--Vijay or Phil

r7 425
Note: This thread is 5867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Vijay or Phil

• Phil Mickelson
    • Vijay Singh

So whos had the better career. Phil Mickelson or Vijay Singh

Heres just some stats to show how tough this question is

Vijay Singh---31 PGA Tour Wins--3 major titles 12 European tour Wins--14 Other Wins and has reached WORLD Number 1 .

Phil Mickelson--33 PGA Tour Wins--3 major titles--7 Other Worldwide wins 3 NCAA Individual Titles--WORLD Number 2 highest ranking

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I would say Vijay. After seeing VJ finish 2nd like three times this year I would not be surprised if VJ keeps winning for a long time. Phil doesn't have half the drive VJ has. In a Tiger dominated world VJ imo has been second best.

I would say Vijay. After seeing VJ finish 2nd like three times this year I would not be surprised if VJ keeps winning for a long time. Phil doesn't have half the drive VJ has. In a Tiger dominated world VJ imo has been second best.

I respectfully disagree in regards to Phil's drive, but Vijay is relentless in his practice.

I would say Vijay would get a slight edge right now, but I would be shocked if I would not say Phil when all is said and done. I think Phil will win more than 10 more times, and at least one more major if not a couple. Vijay will probably win again, but maybe not a major and not as many as Phil will. Also, let's not forget Phil's Amatuer title.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I'm leaning towards Phil, although it's a pretty close call. Nobody even comes close to Vijay in work ethic and practice regimen, and it shows on the course. However, I'm leaning toward Phil just for his playing style.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I like both of these guys and they have had solid careers so it is a close call for me, probably leaning towards VJ on this one. I like Phil's agressive, go for broke style, and he is probably a little more naturally gifted(IMO), where as VJ seems to me like a "dig it out of the dirt" working mans approach to golf. I came to admire that about VJ when I was at Sawgrass in '98. In the early afternoon, I walked over to the range and was watching him hit balls and I said to the guy next to me, "he must have a late tee time today", to which he replied, "no he finished about an hour and a half ago". It is well documented that he works hard but at the time I didn't know it, so it was new to me and I respected that part about him.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I think it's a tie.
Phil is more fun to watch though.

Both fantastic players.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I voted VJ - glad to see he's winning this poll. His career has been more globally fruitful though Phils 3 NCAA titles do stand out. Mind you, Phil's amateur career pales in comparison to Mr. Woods.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

VJ got to No.1 in the world, Phil hasn't. Question answered as far as I'm concerned.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Is everyone throwing out all of Phils runner up finishes--its certainly a lot more than Vijay's

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I don't like Phil at all, but I voted for him. he's done just as much and is younger.

Regarding Vijay's #1 world ranking: Daddy went to the woodshed to retool his swing. The kids had fun until Daddy came back.

Phil is the better of the two, but it's hard to go wrong with either, both are surefire HOF's. Phil obviously has more time on his side than Veej and I wouldn't be suprised to see him finish with about 50 titles and 7 majors before all is said and done. Vijay will probably finish with about 40 wins and 4 majors.

phil hands down

In my x78 stand bag
Driver Tour Burner 9.5 REAX stiff
3 Wood 906F4 15.5 Aldila VS Proto stiff
Hybrid IDEA Pro Gold Matrix Ozik stiff
Irons AP1 4-W DG S300Wedges Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54, V-Foil Tour 60Putter Red X 35"Ball ProV1

VJ got to No.1 in the world, Phil hasn't. Question answered as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I know that I would feel alot better after my golfing days are over knowing that I took the number 1 spot from Tiger Woods regardless of how many tournaments or majors I won.

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Regarding Vijay's #1 world ranking: Daddy went to the woodshed to retool his swing. The kids had fun until Daddy came back.

That might be true, but Phil didn't take the #1 spot Vijay did.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Couldn't have said it better myself. I know that I would feel alot better after my golfing days are over knowing that I took the number 1 spot from Tiger Woods regardless of how many tournaments or majors I won.

he had a hot streak... when phil had a hot streak he was threatening for a "phil" slam.

I don't think Vijay has recived enough praise for his accomplishments. True, 'Daddy did go to his shed', as TW 's form was poor due to a swing rebuild, but in this period Vijay played exceptionally well. Since then, Vijay 's play has dropped off and TW has just gotten better.

• Administrator
he had a hot streak... when phil had a hot streak he was threatening for a "phil" slam.

Phil didn't win the third leg of that "slam" let alone come close to the fourth, and since failing in that slam, Phil hasn't had a top 10 in a major.

I'm on the fence about the better career... Phil got a much earlier start, but Vijay's been more consistent - even with the putter (okay, maybe that's a stretch... ). I think they're about equal. And, quite honestly, I think their careers should be just a little beyond the minimum required to get into the hall of fame. Too many players with weaker records get in. Maybe a Tom Kite would be the bare minimum level...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!