IGNORED

Putting Posture Question

gel mibson
Note: This thread is 907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i'm 5"11 with a 34" toe-hang blade putter (fitted with an arcing stroke).  i have very wide shoulders. my natural, "loose", posture rounds my shoulders inward (picture 1) and is most comfortable.  i've also tried putting with "good posture" where i keep my shoulders back (like i'm position to do a lat pulldown) and my arms are basically stuck to my rib cage (picture 2).  this way is a little uncomfortable due to my wide upper body though i do think it provides the most stability when rocking the shoulders.  i've been going back and forth between the two, tho i'm not sure which one i should commit to.  any advice?

also, what muscle starts the backswing? is it the trail shoulder pulling up or the lead shoulder pushing down or a combination of both?

Capture.JPG

Edited by gel mibson

• Administrator

Who says picture 2 is "good" posture?

Also, I think the shoulders don't do a lot of work in the putting stroke. It's more about the elbows.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Also, I think the shoulders don't do a lot of work in the putting stroke. It's more about the elbows.

Yea it’s not a good picture lol. It’s supposed to signify that my shoulders are back, which causes your elbows to naturally hang next to your rib cage. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, gel mibson said:

Yea it’s not a good picture lol. It’s supposed to signify that my shoulders are back, which causes your elbows to naturally hang next to your rib cage. 

That's not my point: who says "having your shoulders back" is good putting posture?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's not my point: who says "having your shoulders back" is good putting posture?

I don't think he's saying having your shoulders back is good putting posture. I think he's saying having your shoulders back is good posture, just in life. Kind of like wearing one of those posture improving devices that pulls your shoulders back and prevents rounded shoulders. 

I think his question could have been worded better by just asking "What does good putting posture look like?" 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

14 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I don't think he's saying having your shoulders back is good putting posture. I think he's saying having your shoulders back is good posture, just in life. Kind of like wearing one of those posture improving devices that pulls your shoulders back and prevents rounded shoulders. 

I think his question could have been worded better by just asking "What does good putting posture look like?" 

Yes thank you for the assist. Good posture as in the proper line your spine makes with your shoulders back as well as your neck properly aligned. 

I'd say that in general history shows there's not a single best putting posture/mechanics. Though of course there are wrong things.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

23 hours ago, iacas said:

Sorry I’m confused. How do your elbows bear the load when it’s just a joint, not a muscle? Some muscle group has to be engaged to initiate the backswing. 

Care to elaborate? I’m a new golfer so the probability i will misinterpret your succinct reply is pretty high. I understand your elbow position plays an important role (bowing out vs tucking them in) and I’ve tinkered with a combination of both yet still ending up with mixed results.

15 minutes ago, mdl said:

I'd say that in general history shows there's not a single best putting posture/mechanics. Though of course there are wrong things.

From all my research and analysis that’s what I’ve concluded too. Seems like putting has several different philosophies compared to a regular golf swing. I’ve tried several methods and am a bit frustrated that one hasn’t felt consistent or “right” for me yet.

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, gel mibson said:

Sorry I’m confused. How do your elbows bear the load when it’s just a joint, not a muscle? Some muscle group has to be engaged to initiate the backswing. 

• Shoulders not retracted or "back" at all.
  • Elbows bent slightly at your sides.
  • Move your arm so your elbow orbits around your body, back and through.
  • The sternum doesn't move much at all.
  • Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, gel mibson said:

Yes thank you for the assist. Good posture as in the proper line your spine makes with your shoulders back as well as your neck properly aligned. 

You’re bent over with a club in your hands. Why would good upright posture apply to golf?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, mdl said:

0507E2FA-DB3D-41B8-81CE-27278B7C5305.thumb.jpeg.116985be18b30cbaee6e02cacb456bf2.jpeg

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

0507E2FA-DB3D-41B8-81CE-27278B7C5305.thumb.jpeg.116985be18b30cbaee6e02cacb456bf2.jpeg

I still don’t know how she putt like that. It hurts my back just thinking about it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Shoulders not retracted or "back" at all.
  • Elbows bent slightly at your sides.
  • Move your arm so your elbow orbits around your body, back and through.
  • The sternum doesn't move much at all.

- thank you iacas, exactly what i was looking for. 

Edited by gel mibson

On 9/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, billchao said:

You’re bent over with a club in your hands. Why would good upright posture apply to golf?

never mentioned being upright at all, so you tell me? good body posture is keeping your neck/shoulders/back aligned straight which is achieved by pushing your neck back with chin tucked in and retracting your shoulder blades (aka not rounding them forward). the butt of your putter will be much closer to your body vs if you round your shoulders. 

51 minutes ago, gel mibson said:

good body posture is keeping your neck/shoulders/back aligned straight which is achieved by pushing your neck back with chin tucked in and retracting your shoulder blades (aka not rounding them forward).

Umm... Not really.. 

Rounding the upper back is good posture in both the golf swing and putting. You do not want to be retracting your shoulder blades either in the golf swing or putting. 

image.png

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

7 hours ago, gel mibson said:

never mentioned being upright at all, so you tell me? good body posture is keeping your neck/shoulders/back aligned straight which is achieved by pushing your neck back with chin tucked in and retracting your shoulder blades (aka not rounding them forward).

You misunderstood. Why would good posture in daily life apply to putting?

7 hours ago, gel mibson said:

the butt of your putter will be much closer to your body vs if you round your shoulders. 

Without even getting into whether you want the butt of the club closer to you or not, you can protract and retract your shoulders while leaving the handle in basically the same position.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Umm... Not really.. 

Rounding the upper back is good posture in both the golf swing and putting. You do not want to be retracting your shoulder blades either in the golf swing or putting. 

image.png

just a little disclaimer: i'm really new to golf, but i've done a lot of homework researching techniques and theories (reason why i created this thread).  some say, you should pinch your shoulders back so your elbows are tucked in your rib cage while others say to naturally let your arms hang.  i just haven't been able to clearly find something that works for me yet

Note: This thread is 907 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!