IGNORED

What to do With Used Shafts?

I’ve got 2 G loomis graphite shafts out of a 3 and 5 wood, I cut the heads off with a hacksaw because I didn’t know any better 20+ years ago. I tried one in a callaway driving iron but couldn’t hit it I’m assuming because the tip was too stiff, would I be better using the shafts for mid irons or wedge by cutting at the butt . Would appreciate your feedback, cheers Colin 

• iacas changed the title to What to do With Used Shafts?
34 minutes ago, Colins69 said:

I’ve got 2 G loomis graphite shafts out of a 3 and 5 wood, I cut the heads off with a hacksaw because I didn’t know any better 20+ years ago. I tried one in a callaway driving iron but couldn’t hit it I’m assuming because the tip was too stiff, would I be better using the shafts for mid irons or wedge by cutting at the butt . Would appreciate your feedback, cheers Colin 

I’m surprised you held onto them for 20 years. They would have ended up lost of in the trash long ago if mine.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, Colins69 said:

They would be nice alignment sticks or you could make them Into training aids without heads. They’re probably not good for use with clubs if you took more that 2” off the tip. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As stated above, if you cut them off right at the hosel, you have removed 2 inches or more from the original tip (initial tipping for the 3 and 5 wood plus what you cut off when removing the heads). You would need to get a caliper and see what the diameter of the shaft tips is now to see if you have gone over the parallel tip section.

If you were going to use them in an iron head, you would need to shim them b/c the tip diameter will be smaller than the hosel, unless you cut so much off that the tapering has increased the diameter where it would fit. That would be very bad, by the way.

Also you would most likely need to build up the butt end of a grip b/c you would trim down the butt for length and leave a smaller diameter shaft section.

All that being said, those shafts should either be repurposed as alignment sticks or tomato stakes at this point. They are over 20 years old and even if you initially loved them, they have been altered to the point where they have no real resemblance to what they originally were.

Also modern shafts will be much much better quality at this point.

11 hours ago, Adam C said:

All that being said, those shafts should either be repurposed as alignment sticks or tomato stakes at this point. They are over 20 years old and even if you initially loved them, 

Thanks for your feedback very much appreciate it, I tried one of them in a callaway ut driving iron but it was I think too stiff and long, so I can do anything and it won’t matter as their cactus lol, I did love the 3 wood and I had the full set of irons that I sold. They were from a Aussie Pro I had a lot of lessons with, the heads were crap well too difficult for me except I loved the 2 iron and 3 wood… again thank you..

21 hours ago, paperclip said:

Above, or you could also make yourself a set of homemade speed training aids, instructions are all over the internet.

Do you mean rolling up a big towel, didn’t see anything using a golf shaft?

18 minutes ago, paperclip said:

No, washers or nuts at the end, like a speed s***k

Got it, brain fade lol

Actually had a 5 iron 20 years ago with lead sand in the bottom of the shaft, used it for a few years then lost it when I moved. Can't buy lead sand in NZ, but I will make something up no biggie...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.