IGNORED

Golf Club Bag Tubes

Note: This thread is 895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’m pretty darn tired of trying to pull my club out of the bag only to have it hang up on a couple of adjacent clubs. Something I should have thought of before buying the bag. I’d like to avoid buying a new bag and see that plastic tubes are available to insert into the bag. Anyone here have any experience with these good or bad? Thanks. 

43 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I’m pretty darn tired of trying to pull my club out of the bag only to have it hang up on a couple of adjacent clubs. Something I should have thought of before buying the bag. I’d like to avoid buying a new bag and see that plastic tubes are available to insert into the bag. Anyone here have any experience with these good or bad? Thanks. 

I hear ya. It’s ridiculous these bags can’t run a nylon divider the full length. I just got the new Ping Hoofer Tour stand bag and I love it other than the f****** clubs jamming. Don’t tell me adding a few strips of nylon will increase the weight by any noticeable amount. 

To your question, yes I’ve used tubes before. They helped prevent jamming but I got tired of the damn things. Maybe I just felt like I do about iron head covers. I was using a tour bag from Callaway which was great as the top was 10.5” and no jamming. But then I was ‘that guy’ Lol. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Grips are tacky. Nylon rips.

I don't have much of an issue with this, whether on the push cart or on a regular cart. I just use a pretty inexpensive Sun Mountain "Collegiate" bag, typically.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Grips are tacky. Nylon rips.

I don't have much of an issue with this, whether on the push cart or on a regular cart. I just use a pretty inexpensive Sun Mountain "Collegiate" bag, typically.

Are your grips standard size? Mine are midsize and unless the bag is standing upright the clubs jam like crazy.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Are your grips standard size? Mine are midsize and unless the bag is standing upright the clubs jam like crazy.

Mine, too. It's a frustrating pain in the southern region. The club separations only go about 2/3 of the way down the bag and the clubs jam up in the bottom. Try to pull the putter and the driver and 3 metal lift, too. Sometimes, when I pull a club, it's tough to tell which other clubs have it jammed up. Maybe if I just put tubes in some of the club openings instead of all of them it might be enough to solve the issue.

I've had good luck with tubes in the past, but those were on 3 divider bags (old school). Since switching to a 14 slot bag I haven't had much of an issue, but from time to time one won't want to go back in.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

1 hour ago, Zippo said:

Mine, too. It's a frustrating pain in the southern region. The club separations only go about 2/3 of the way down the bag and the clubs jam up in the bottom. Try to pull the putter and the driver and 3 metal lift, too. Sometimes, when I pull a club, it's tough to tell which other clubs have it jammed up. Maybe if I just put tubes in some of the club openings instead of all of them it might be enough to solve the issue.

I remember what annoyed me. Often when I would pull a club out the tube would come up with it. So I would be fidgeting with the tubes and just got rid of them.

• Informative 1

When I was a caddy we had our “ signs of a beater “…. We’d see certain members coming and we’d scatter down in the brush beside the Brook , wherever we could hide and not get stuck with these guys.  2 of the top “signs” we iron covers and tubes 😂.

I have a Ping Hoofer as well.  Before that I had a few Ping L8 bags and there is no problem getting them in and out.  On occasion I’ll have one not go all the way down when putting it back on the bag but I just move it a bit and it’s fine.  

I have a new L8 I’m selling and I laughed at people saying they couldn’t fit a set of clubs in them.  Golf now is the same as it was 20 years ago.

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

When I was a caddy we had our “ signs of a beater “…. We’d see certain members coming and we’d scatter down in the brush beside the Brook , wherever we could hide and not get stuck with these guys.  2 of the top “signs” we iron covers and tubes 😂.

Great story Typhoon!  When I was a kid I caddied at a country club that is now on the Champion's Tour rotation.  I just wanted to get out and make money.  But the winos that slept in the brush overnight had first dibs on the morning bags.  The caddie master had a soft spot for them.  And some of the members requested them.

• Like 1

Have considered them but just have not pulled the trigger.  Currently use a Callaway 14 divider (top of bag only) and yes the clubs hang up from time to time.  Have blamed the midsize grips as there is less issue when I use the old 845s Silver Scots w/Golf Pride Std Tour Wraps.  Figured it’s part of the game.  Still love the 3 divider bag that sits in the corner - may pull it out and see if that makes life easier….

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I bought a few tubes and tried them out today. Wow! It was great not having to fight to get the dang club out of the bag! I got some more ordered. I should have done this waaay sooner...

On 11/13/2021 at 9:22 PM, Zippo said:

I bought a few tubes and tried them out today. Wow! It was great not having to fight to get the dang club out of the bag! I got some more ordered. I should have done this waaay sooner...

Don’t ask me to caddy for you…😁

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the tubes. Issue was the tubes were coming out of the bag with the clubs. So each time I pulled a club out of the bag, I had to wrestle the tube back into the bag, lol. The grips were Lamkin Mid-size grips. So not really that oversized. 

I recently purchased a new bag from One with Golf, I know you mentioned you don't want to buy a new bag. But to be honest I wasn't looking to buy a new bag either until I came across this in a PGA store down in Myrtle. So many things on a premiere bag for an affordable price. The full length skirts was a big plus. The bag I had before was 1/2 skirt as was causing the labels on the KBS shafts to get ruined. So full skirts is a great thing to have. 

G-

1 hour ago, march11934 said:

I tried the tubes. Issue was the tubes were coming out of the bag with the clubs. So each time I pulled a club out of the bag, I had to wrestle the tube back into the bag, lol. The grips were Lamkin Mid-size grips. So not really that oversized. 

I recently purchased a new bag from One with Golf, I know you mentioned you don't want to buy a new bag. But to be honest I wasn't looking to buy a new bag either until I came across this in a PGA store down in Myrtle. So many things on a premiere bag for an affordable price. The full length skirts was a big plus. The bag I had before was 1/2 skirt as was causing the labels on the KBS shafts to get ruined. So full skirts is a great thing to have. 

G-

I put some friction tape around the tube exterior near the top and a few inches up from the bottom of the tube. Now the tubes stay in place and my clubs with the mid-size grips slide up and down smoothly.

I'm glad you like your new bag. It sounds to me that you made a smarter choice in a bag than I did.

11 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I put some friction tape around the tube exterior near the top and a few inches up from the bottom of the tube. Now the tubes stay in place and my clubs with the mid-size grips slide up and down smoothly.

I'm glad you like your new bag. It sounds to me that you made a smarter choice in a bag than I did.

Actually that is brilliant! Never thought about friction tape. Too late from me now but what a good idea.

G-

1 hour ago, march11934 said:

Actually that is brilliant! Never thought about friction tape. Too late from me now but what a good idea.

G-

Thanks. I'd love to take credit for the idea but I'm pretty sure I got it from someone else - though the source escapes me at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple of points I'll make based on personal experience since I used the plastic tubes for many years and have since switched to a bag with full length nylon dividers. First of all, even full-length dividers won't always prevent jams at the bottom. Most of the time it's fine, sometimes they jam up, usually when inserting the club back into the bag but it just takes a bit of a shake to loosen things down at the bottom. Also, I know for a fact the plastic tubes will definitely cause abrasion on graphite shafts where the top edge of the tube rubs up against the shaft. I either read or was told this is just cosmetic and not anything that will affect the performance of the shaft but I can't remember if that source was an authority on the subject or not. In either case, I'm not 100% convinced that's true.

I haven't noticed any excessive wear on the grips with either tubes or dividers and since I'll replace them at the beginning of the season anyway it's not a concern. As far as the shafts go, I'd rather play it safe and keep them separated from each other as much as possible, so an occasional jam is no big deal.

Edited by xrayvizhen

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

Hi @xrayvizhen  It surprises me to hear that even with full length dividers your clubs jam at the bottom. I don’t get how that could happen. In any event, a new bag is not on my radar for a while. 

Note: This thread is 895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!