IGNORED

Suggestions for a Set for a High Handicap in 2022

brandonsaget
Note: This thread is 802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I apologize if there is an existing thread about this but I could not find one in the search. I am a high handicapper and looking for some suggestions for choosing a complete set for myself. I am in my early 50's and would like to be able to hit a few drives with my buddies on the course. I am hitting a driver around 220. I looked at some sets online, but I thought I'd check on here and see if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any responses, I appreciate it!

2 hours ago, brandonsaget said:

I apologize if there is an existing thread about this but I could not find one in the search. I am a high handicapper and looking for some suggestions for choosing a complete set for myself. I am in my early 50's and would like to be able to hit a few drives with my buddies on the course. I am hitting a driver around 220. I looked at some sets online, but I thought I'd check on here and see if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any responses, I appreciate it!

As you can imagine this will fall into the “there’s no one-size fits all” category. Generally, as a high handicapper, you’d want a game improvement/super game improvement iron set. I’d recommend you read some reviews, go hit a few of those that make your short list and see which ones you like the best.  
As a Ping guy, I’d recommend the Ping G425i, G700, or G710’s. I am told the Mizzuno JPX Hot Metal irons are forgiving, but feel & budget will be determining factors. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with @woodzie264. Budget is important of course. I’m not sure there’s a better deal than PXG 0211 DC right now. At $77/club you can get a nice set for a hell of a deal. They also have ‘ full bag ‘ specials. I’d check them out for sure. Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I'm going to go the other way on this. 

If you haven't played golf before. Perhaps only hit driver on the range. My suggestion is to go to your local Play It Again Sports and buy what ever set looks good to you. 

Take some lessons, play a few rounds of golf with your buddies. There are so many different iron options out there, you are all but guaranteed to buy a set you will not be happy with inside of a year. So, you may as well just go get something cheap and functional for right now. If you do end up really liking them all the better. If they are totally wrong that's fine. It's something with which to learn. You can always sell 'em back to Play It Again for about half what you paid for them. But for now just get something with which to play golf. While you are learning, take every chance you get to borrow a club from somebody and try it. 

Take the money you were going to spend on clubs and spend it on lessons. After you've played bit. After you've seen other clubs out there. After you've had a few lessons you wills start to know what you like and what you don't. Then you can discuss it with whom ever you are taking lessons and then start looking for the "right" clubs. But for starting out just get anything descent and functional. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

I agree with @woodzie264. Budget is important of course. I’m not sure there’s a better deal than PXG 0211 DC right now. At $77/club you can get a nice set for a hell of a deal. They also have ‘ full bag ‘ specials. I’d check them out for sure. Cheers!

Big ditto, here. Great set of clubs that should last a new golfer a very long time. I would add the PXG 0211 driver at $249. Excellent deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

• iacas changed the title to Suggestions for a Set for a High Handicap in 2022

@Vinsk mentioned the PXG deal on irons, new irons is the best deal going. 0211 dc irons $77 per club. They are also clubs that are supposed to be forgiving and you can use them for a long time as you improve. All drivers $299 is a slam dunk also. You could pick up hybrids and putters used. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• 4 weeks later...

For a beginner who just wants a decent starter set I would recommend looking at Tour Edge. They have some really decent box sets that can get you started. 

Note: This thread is 802 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!