IGNORED

Help Finding a New Set of Clubs

SR 7
Note: This thread is 811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I’ve been using $400 Nike IGNITE clubs for about 14 years now and it’s time to upgrade.  They seem very stiff especially when I use someone else's clubs at the range just to get a different feel for it.  My irons on impact feel stiff/rock solid.  I used my friends recently, which were some regular ol' "Top Flite" golf clubs and I noticed the shaft is much more softer, I felt it bend on impact.  

I'm not sure which way to go so need some tips.  Should I go for a full set (minus driver and putter) or should I mix and match by getting the irons individually in the irons I use the most, such as 9 iron, 8 iron, 5 iron etc? 

What are some good clubs to look at currently? I am ready to get myself clubs that may be more fitted for me in terms of swing speed, power, distance etc.  

In terms of budget, I'd say maybe in the $400-1400 range without the driver and putter.

4 hours ago, SR 7 said:

So I’ve been using $400 Nike IGNITE clubs for about 14 years now and it’s time to upgrade.  They seem very stiff especially when I use someone else's clubs at the range just to get a different feel for it.  My irons on impact feel stiff/rock solid.  I used my friends recently, which were some regular ol' "Top Flite" golf clubs and I noticed the shaft is much more softer, I felt it bend on impact.  

I'm not sure which way to go so need some tips.  Should I go for a full set (minus driver and putter) or should I mix and match by getting the irons individually in the irons I use the most, such as 9 iron, 8 iron, 5 iron etc? 

What are some good clubs to look at currently? I am ready to get myself clubs that may be more fitted for me in terms of swing speed, power, distance etc.  

In terms of budget, I'd say maybe in the $400-1400 range without the driver and putter.

PXG 0211 Dual Core. $77/club. New XF driver $299. Done. Solid.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, Vinsk said:

PXG 0211 Dual Core. $77/club. New XF driver $299. Done. Solid.

Sounds like a solid suggestion. What's with Bob Parsons' voice? I may have to take a break from the golf channel over it.

On 1/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, SR 7 said:

What is your handicap index and swing speed? How often do you plan on playing?

• Funny 1

What clubs are you guys using? Did you get a set or did you go with the clubs you use the most on the course?  I noticed I use the 9, PW, putter, driver and 5 the most.  

I do need a 3 in my set. 

14 hours ago, SR 7 said:

What clubs are you guys using? Did you get a set or did you go with the clubs you use the most on the course?  I noticed I use the 9, PW, putter, driver and 5 the most.  

I do need a 3 in my set. 

I had a set of Dunlop irons which were a rip on Ernie's clubs at the time (late 90's, early 2000's.  I am currently gaming a set of TaylorMade RAC OS irons with a couple of hybrids and a Lob Wedge.

Unless you have enough clubhead speed, don't even think about a 3 iron.  I used to be able to hit my 3 iron perfectly before.  Nowadays, I probably get good contact twice or thrice in ten shots.  I have decided to pick up a 2 and 4 hybrid and dropped the 3 and 4 irons.  I might even drop the 5 iron if consistent contact is a problem.  Part of that is because my clubhead speed has dropped as I aged, and a lack of practice doesn't help my game

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

I had a set of Dunlop irons which were a rip on Ernie's clubs at the time (late 90's, early 2000's.  I am currently gaming a set of TaylorMade RAC OS irons with a couple of hybrids and a Lob Wedge.

Unless you have enough clubhead speed, don't even think about a 3 iron.  I used to be able to hit my 3 iron perfectly before.  Nowadays, I probably get good contact twice or thrice in ten shots.  I have decided to pick up a 2 and 4 hybrid and dropped the 3 and 4 irons.  I might even drop the 5 iron if consistent contact is a problem.  Part of that is because my clubhead speed has dropped as I aged, and a lack of practice doesn't help my game

Interesting because I struggle with the 5H but I'm great with the 5 iron. lol 

On 1/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, SR 7 said:

Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've joined.   

1 hour ago, SR 7 said:

Interesting because I struggle with the 5H but I'm great with the 5 iron. lol 

I have 2 hybrids that I really like.   For me, it's easier to make better contact with the hybrids than the longer irons.   I haven't used anything longer than a 6 iron for many years.   I've just become comfortable with the hybrids.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

You also don’t need a 3 iron because modern 4 irons (and some 5s) are the loft of a 3 iron. I’d go with Sub 70 699 irons 4-GW (21.5-50*) for $720 and a driver from them or 2nd Swing or Ebay or last year’s model from a golf shop.

The 699 is the successful culmination of Sub 70's desire to offer an iron that uses the latest in game improvement...

19 hours ago, SR 7 said:

I do need a 3 in my set.

Don’t worry about the number of the clubs to fill out your set, get the appropriate clubs to fill your gaps.

I play a 2H right into a 4I, for example. A 3I would occupy a slot in the bag for a yardage I rarely need.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I agree with @billchao   My buddy pays for clubs he doesn’t use. He is looking for a new set and is hung up on 4-gw. I have seen him use a 4 iron 2 times in 8 years. Why pay for something that in reality serves no purpose in the bag. The I once hit my  3 iron 200 yards pin high reasoning is so flawed. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

@SR 7 i just got mine. Sorry cannot offer much other than looks as it is only 32 where I live. But as promised by PXG delivered in 2 weeks. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

1 minute ago, jmanbooyaa said:

@SR 7 i just got mine. Sorry cannot offer much other than looks as it is only 32 where I live. But as promised by PXG delivered in 2 weeks. 

Did you get custom fitted for it? How much did u pay if u don’t mind me asking. 

what do u mean it looks 32? Lolll

32 degree where I live so I have not played them yet. No I didn’t get fit.  The clubs are 1/2 longer than most brands. They wack you for $60 shipping but the clubs go for only $77 per club with any lie adjustments free. Grips no so much. They didn’t have a tremendous selection and if they did I would not pay. They wanted $30 per club for Golf Pride Tour Velvets. Shaft selection was similar to grip selection. The steel shaft option is fine for me. I am coming from True Temper XP 95s. All in all a good deal. I am sure if you went with the higher end models irons(still on sale) you could really get some options. I didn’t look into. The clubs are really good looking. 

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

1 hour ago, jmanbooyaa said:

32 degree where I live so I have not played them yet. No I didn’t get fit.  The clubs are 1/2 longer than most brands. They wack you for $60 shipping but the clubs go for only $77 per club with any lie adjustments free. Grips no so much. They didn’t have a tremendous selection and if they did I would not pay. They wanted $30 per club for Golf Pride Tour Velvets. Shaft selection was similar to grip selection. The steel shaft option is fine for me. I am coming from True Temper XP 95s. All in all a good deal. I am sure if you went with the higher end models irons(still on sale) you could really get some options. I didn’t look into. The clubs are really good looking. 

Where did you get it from? 

Directly from the PXG website. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

Note: This thread is 811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!