IGNORED

Set for a Small 14 Year Old Girl?

During the summer of covid 2020 my daughter went to the range a few times with me and played a couple of evening rounds with me. I thought it was because there was nothing else to do and the fact that she didn't play at all last summer made me think that was true. Honesty I didn't get much golf in last summer either. Well she surprised me by saying she wanted to go out for golf. (she is a freshman this year) The set she used in 2020 was an ancient set one of my sisters used, I mean this set had wooden woods. So off to the golf shop and sporting goods stores we go. 

My daughter is 5ft 1inch tall and about 102 pounds. Ladies clubs were a bit long and heavy for her, Jr sets were a bit short and toy like. No one had any petite sized clubs in stock for her to swing, but then at the golf shop the sales person mentioned a tour edge jr set they stock, he pulled out the blue set for 11-14 year olds. I shrugged and let her swing away with them. She loved them. the lengths were good and she liked the weight of them. The clubs actually looked decent much better than the top flite sets not pings or mizuno, but pretty good. Being the dad I am i even took a  few hits with the 9 iron and they felt pretty good too.

A little about her high school, it is small, they usually have to beg girls to go out to fill a team so making the team isn't really an issue. but well can a high school girl show up with a jr set, of a diver, 3 wood, hybrid, 7, 9, iron and sand wedge, do ok? I think she has a few more inches of growth in her yet probably in the next year based on family history. Oh and the budget is tighter since her twin has to be out fitted for track as well. I'm thinking I can upgrade and add to the set as she grows.

thinking I may have to go back tomorrow or Monday and make a purchase. 

Edited by clhacker
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great story!  Gift her with some golf balls, as well.  And the other stuff (glove, tees, shoes, visor) as well.  She will be thrilled.  You are a good dad.

And keep us posted on how she does on the team...

2 hours ago, clhacker said:

During the summer of covid 2020 my daughter went to the range a few times with me and played a couple of evening rounds with me. I thought it was because there was nothing else to do and the fact that she didn't play at all last summer made me think that was true. Honesty I didn't get much golf in last summer either. Well she surprised me by saying she wanted to go out for golf. (she is a freshman this year) The set she used in 2020 was an ancient set one of my sisters used, I mean this set had wooden woods. So off to the golf shop and sporting goods stores we go. 

My daughter is 5ft 1inch tall and about 102 pounds. Ladies clubs were a bit long and heavy for her, Jr sets were a bit short and toy like. No one had any petite sized clubs in stock for her to swing, but then at the golf shop the sales person mentioned a tour edge jr set they stock, he pulled out the blue set for 11-14 year olds. I shrugged and let her swing away with them. She loved them. the lengths were good and she liked the weight of them. The clubs actually looked decent much better than the top flite sets not pings or mizuno, but pretty good. Being the dad I am i even took a  few hits with the 9 iron and they felt pretty good too.

A little about her high school, it is small, they usually have to beg girls to go out to fill a team so making the team isn't really an issue. but well can a high school girl show up with a jr set, of a diver, 3 wood, hybrid, 7, 9, iron and sand wedge, do ok? I think she has a few more inches of growth in her yet probably in the next year based on family history. Oh and the budget is tighter since her twin has to be out fitted for track as well. I'm thinking I can upgrade and add to the set as she grows.

thinking I may have to go back tomorrow or Monday and make a purchase. 

I'd probably suggest a putter, too, but why not? If she likes them and they fit her she should use them, in my opinion.

My oldest daughter (13) is 5’2” and uses a standard womens set.  She chokes up a bit and it works fine.  The thought is she’ll grow into them within the next year or two.  That’s one route, regardless of being the most appropriate or not.

@clhacker Your daughter loves that jr set, I’d say go with it.  Step 1 is getting them excited and wanting to play.  And if she feels good about the set, that could help with her confidence as well.  As she grows you can upgrade and get a little cash back by selling the jr set.

16 hours ago, Zippo said:

I'd probably suggest a putter, too, but why not? If she likes them and they fit her she should use them, in my opinion.

They do come with a putter (at least the new sets do)

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Great story!  Gift her with some golf balls, as well.  And the other stuff (glove, tees, shoes, visor) as well.  She will be thrilled.  You are a good dad.

And keep us posted on how she does on the team...

This

59 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

@clhacker Your daughter loves that jr set, I’d say go with it.  Step 1 is getting them excited and wanting to play.  And if she feels good about the set, that could help with her confidence as well.  As she grows you can upgrade and get a little cash back by selling the jr set.

This too.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

17 hours ago, Zippo said:

My son has this same Tour Edge Jr. set and I second the putter.  The putter it comes with isn't that great.  So I went and bought my son a Tour Edge mallet putter and he putts much better with that than the stock Jr. set one.  Overall though, this set is a good value.  Hope your daughter enjoys it!

Took the daughter in again, She tested out a few sets and still liked the Tour Edge Jr. set the best so I went with them. I also found a ping ladies anser putter on the used rack and picked it up for a good price too for her. She was grinning from ear to ear at the set and loves the putter. We got all the goods to go in the bag too: Tees, ball markers, divot repair tool. club brush and a towel. And with the advice of the sales man she got a dozen Taylormade Kalia balls. Now if spring would decide to stick around for more than a day or two we can get out and get her some practice.

• Thumbs Up 3

Don't worry too much about her growing.  If she is happy with the set and she grows, you always have the option of shaft extenders.  Of course, as she improves her game, you will ideally want to get her a full set so that she has more options and shots available to her

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 1 month later...

Update on the Jr set

my daughter has been using them for about a month. She has been to the range with me twice, she has hit lots of balls into the net at practice, for the last three couple of weeks she has played about 4 holes a day at practice, and 3 rounds of 9 holes with me. one of the rounds with me and my dad that was fun. yesterday was the 3rd round of 9 with me and on the 9th hole she took a mighty swing, which looked good and was rewarded with a thunk instead of a ting. the fall flew strait and pretty well just way short. a look at her driver found a crack along the top of the head right along the front edge. 

well she has a meet tomorrow and a cracked driver, so back to the store today to see what they can do. 

Little worried about the fairway wood now, she hits that the most probably half her strokes are with it.