IGNORED

TST Explores the ShotScope H4 (Stats Tracking Device) and Pro LX Rangefinder

iacas

Still learning with SS.  Played Reserve Run yesterday and per SS I shot an 84, knew that was wrong and wondered how I could have missed so many tags.

I knew I had penalties to add and I knew I missed 1 tag but that would not account for 13 shots.  While editing I found my problem, I was not tagging my tap in putts.  Lesson learned.

question: I have only 27 holes in SS. At what point would you think the stats begin to be meaningful?  I am thinking at least 72 holes.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 minutes ago, StuM said:

I knew I had penalties to add and I knew I missed 1 tag but that would not account for 13 shots.  While editing I found my problem, I was not tagging my tap in putts.  Lesson learned.

question: I have only 27 holes in SS. At what point would you think the stats begin to be meaningful?  I am thinking at least 72 holes.

My putt count seems off too.  With GG, tagging a putt was like any other club.  There seems to be a "clicker" enabled when I get on the green for how many putts, and the "click how many putts you've taken button at the pin" type thing from the manual doesn't appear there anymore (it did for my first 1-2 rounds).   I haven't experimented (nor does it seem to be in the manual) with just what is happening, and I seem to be missing putts on the green (likely due to not tagging.  Also it's awkward to tag a short putt, then miss it and tag the next one, so I'm going to have to start making more short putts, you know, because it'll help with ShotScope ;-)

As for data, GG used to have a banner (probably still does) if you had fewer than 90 holes being inspected at any time, telling you that for best results, you want more.  I get that 9 and 18 are small sample sizes, but I do enjoy seeing my stats for the round, even though I know they really need a larger group to be meaningful.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

10 minutes ago, Shindig said:

My putt count seems off too.  With GG, tagging a putt was like any other club.  There seems to be a "clicker" enabled when I get on the green for how many putts, and the "click how many putts you've taken button at the pin" type

You are referring to the Pin Collect.  You still need to tag your putts as any shot then use Pin Collect to mark the hole & confirm you total number of strokes with the putter.  My error was tapping in and not tagging.

i would email support if the Pin Collect is no longer appearing. 

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

41 minutes ago, StuM said:

i would email support if the Pin Collect is no longer appearing. 

It appears.  There's a screen with a + and a flag icon as button choices.  The + increments how many putts (I would hope it tags as putt where I'm standing, that would be neat). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

It appears.  There's a screen with a + and a flag icon as button choices.  The + increments how many putts (I would hope it tags as putt where I'm standing, that would be neat). 

It does not work that way.

you tag your putt by tapping the putter to the SS unit, same as any club.

after you hole out you hold the SS unit above the hole and click the number that corresponds to the number strokes you took with the putter.  Note, if you putt from the fringe that is included as a putter stroke but SS should know it was from off the green unless GPS is s little off.

• Informative 1

Stuart M.

1 hour ago, StuM said:

It does not work that way.

you tag your putt by tapping the putter to the SS unit, same as any club.

after you hole out you hold the SS unit above the hole and click the number that corresponds to the number strokes you took with the putter.  Note, if you putt from the fringe that is included as a putter stroke but SS should know it was from off the green unless GPS is s little off.

Ah.  So if I double-tag a putt, maybe something in their code figures out where I'm likely to have double-tagged. 

Sweet, I like this feature a lot more now.

Thanks! 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so, I have a few rounds in now and I'm starting to like this thing. 
The last time I played I didn't have to do any editing after the round. It was only 9 holes, but I actually tagged everything exactly right and even got the pin placements right. 😄 I only had to go back and change 2 shots to positional shots. 

I have 7 rounds in there now, so the data is starting to get interesting. The first thing I've learned (okay, confirmed, because I already knew it) my wedge play is not very good. I was surprised to find that I'm getting up and down only about 20% of the time with my 54 or 60 degree wedge in my hands. Interestingly, when I putt from off the green, I'm getting up and down 73% of the time. (That's with 15 attempts, so that's interesting to me.) 

The second thing I learned is I am super-inconsistent off the tee with the driver. Take a look: 1093373772_2022-08-11(1).thumb.png.5f99db392fc4b3831e9901ff9eedb358.png

There is almost 100 yards difference between my longest drive and my average drive. Which tells me that for every really good drive I hit, there's at least on real stinker.... probably more than one. Some of those have hit trees, but some of them (too many) have been straight up shanks, hosel rockets, tops, flubs, thins, toes, heels, and/or skanks. If I can eliminate the totally sh!tty ones, I think my average would come up closer to my performance average. I'm not good enough at math to calculate my standard deviation, but I bet it's huge. 

I did find that I'm just about as likely to miss left of the fairway as I am to miss right of the fairway. 

I plan to start to work my practice around the areas that need improvement. 
Of course, I'm going to continue to work on my swing in general, as it can still get better. But consistency off the tee and wedge play will have to get a little more attention going forward. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I almost got today's round right.  I evidently forgot to tag some tee shots, so I was surprised to get a "250 yard drive" badge only to discover it put me two tee boxes back on a par-3 (where I managed to hit the back of the green with a really good hybrid shot today).   The part where I press the button for however many putts is nice, and remembering to tag the stick too.  

It would be nice if in addition to date range or "last X" choices, if I could custom select which rounds.  That way, if I go to play a "nice" course (I tend to not play as well at "nicer" courses), I don't have to delete or fiddle with the round to figure out how I'm doing on "typical for me" courses. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

I should check the manual to see if this is a new feature or just new to me.  But hey everyone!  I just saw "course analysis" on Shot Scope.   Back in the GG days, we were considering doing something like this for one another, looking over courses we had played and seeing if we could use the data to improve our games, figuring out which holes we were the worst at, and so on.  

For example, my performance on 12 and 17 are tied for best relative to par (I average +0.2 over the six rounds so far on each).   I gain the most strokes on hole 12 (six rounds, so a really good approach and rolling in that birdie plays an outsize role, let's see how it is when I've played another half dozen).   The long par-5 17th I also average par +0.2 (there's some rounding -- five pars and a bogey here).  However, if we sort by strokes gained, 12 is my best, and 17 is 15th (this is like hole handicaps -- 1 is "worst" in this sorting).  

My worst by SG is the par-3 8th, where I lose an average of 0.62 and have an average score of 4.3.  In six rounds, only one par and three doubles.  This tells me par 3s are hard (I knew that already) and if I can find a way to make some safe 4s, with a shot at 3s, I can improve meaningfully.  Yes, I knew that already, but it's good to see some numbers -- after all, we all know if we sink more putts, our scores will drop, but whether that's achievable within our ceiling is another question.  In this case, putting tee shots closer to the green and chipping on regularly will help.  Again, small sample size because this is a newish-to-me device.

Meanwhile, my averaging of 4.3 on 6 and 4.5 on 9 aren't as bad as I thought -- SG ranks 16 and 17.  

It will also plot your shots -- tee shots or approach shots.  So this is my six shots on the par-3 12th.  Note the H20s and H19s are different clubs and were played from different tees (despite the similar lofts, there's a reasonable gap between the two).  Given the greenside complex, you can probably guess where my targets are and what I'm trying to do off the tee.  Not pictured in the image is that the green is elevated relative to the front, including the sides, but overall is below the tees. 

Anyway, cool stuff Shot Scope! 

image.thumb.png.60271e925ef1214a5d35c75d40b16185.png

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

Just got an email on a new feature.  Have not looked at it yet.

course-mapping-hero-1.jpg

Edinburgh, Scotland – 16th August, 2022 - Shot Scope, the industry-leader in advanced GPS and...

Stuart M.

1 hour ago, StuM said:

Just got an email on a new feature.  Have not looked at it yet.

It's a great feature 🙂  

I love that it tells me my relative SG on each hole, letting me know which ones I'm playing well or poorly.  I did a generic version of this years ago as about a 19 handicap where I figured out some holes on my home course where a bogey would probably gain ground in the club championship.  This is a far better version of it. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

On 8/15/2022 at 8:43 PM, Shindig said:

I should check the manual to see if this is a new feature or just new to me.  But hey everyone!  I just saw "course analysis" on Shot Scope.   Back in the GG days, we were considering doing something like this for one another, looking over courses we had played and seeing if we could use the data to improve our games, figuring out which holes we were the worst at, and so on.  

For example, my performance on 12 and 17 are tied for best relative to par (I average +0.2 over the six rounds so far on each).   I gain the most strokes on hole 12 (six rounds, so a really good approach and rolling in that birdie plays an outsize role, let's see how it is when I've played another half dozen).   The long par-5 17th I also average par +0.2 (there's some rounding -- five pars and a bogey here).  However, if we sort by strokes gained, 12 is my best, and 17 is 15th (this is like hole handicaps -- 1 is "worst" in this sorting).  

My worst by SG is the par-3 8th, where I lose an average of 0.62 and have an average score of 4.3.  In six rounds, only one par and three doubles.  This tells me par 3s are hard (I knew that already) and if I can find a way to make some safe 4s, with a shot at 3s, I can improve meaningfully.  Yes, I knew that already, but it's good to see some numbers -- after all, we all know if we sink more putts, our scores will drop, but whether that's achievable within our ceiling is another question.  In this case, putting tee shots closer to the green and chipping on regularly will help.  Again, small sample size because this is a newish-to-me device.

Meanwhile, my averaging of 4.3 on 6 and 4.5 on 9 aren't as bad as I thought -- SG ranks 16 and 17.  

It will also plot your shots -- tee shots or approach shots.  So this is my six shots on the par-3 12th.  Note the H20s and H19s are different clubs and were played from different tees (despite the similar lofts, there's a reasonable gap between the two).  Given the greenside complex, you can probably guess where my targets are and what I'm trying to do off the tee.  Not pictured in the image is that the green is elevated relative to the front, including the sides, but overall is below the tees. 

Anyway, cool stuff Shot Scope! 

image.thumb.png.60271e925ef1214a5d35c75d40b16185.png

It's a pretty cool feature. I was exploring it a little just now, but I haven't learned anything other than, "hit better shots" :-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, billchao said:

It's a pretty cool feature. I was exploring it a little just now, but I haven't learned anything other than, "hit better shots" :-)

Well, you know me;  a few pages ago I needed analytics to tell me to stop topping my woods.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Was looking at the new Plotting feature and I think I stumbled upon a potential problem with my game.  I do not know how often I may make this error but obviously I did it once so may have done it before.  For some reason I hit PW off the tee on this Par-3.  That hole is listed as 163 on the score card and when I reviewed the actual round in SS my PW went @ 131 and I was @ 28 from the pin so it was playing @ 159 that day.  MY PW is my 130 club, I would have never selected that club on purpose for this hole.  It makes me wonder if I grab the wrong club more often?  You can see in the plot one day I hit my H6 once and was only a little right but distance was OK and another time hit my 8i but was a little short (it was a bad shot, only 144).

Hole 16 Plotted.jpg

Hole 16 Aug 16 2022.png

Stuart M.

25 minutes ago, StuM said:

Was looking at the new Plotting feature and I think I stumbled upon a potential problem with my game.  I do not know how often I may make this error but obviously I did it once so may have done it before.  For some reason I hit PW off the tee on this Par-3.  That hole is listed as 163 on the score card and when I reviewed the actual round in SS my PW went @ 131 and I was @ 28 from the pin so it was playing @ 159 that day.  MY PW is my 130 club, I would have never selected that club on purpose for this hole.  It makes me wonder if I grab the wrong club more often?  You can see in the plot one day I hit my H6 once and was only a little right but distance was OK and another time hit my 8i but was a little short (it was a bad shot, only 144).

So, are you saying you got your PW and your 7 iron confused? 2057073822_giphy(1).gif.f9cd6663338a98605c143c153062bf9e.gif

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

12 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So, are you saying you got your PW and your 7 iron confused? 2057073822_giphy(1).gif.f9cd6663338a98605c143c153062bf9e.gif

Can I plead the 5th?

• Funny 3

Stuart M.

45 minutes ago, StuM said:

Can I plead the 5th?

I've mixed up my 8-iron and my GW more than once. It happens 😀

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Interesting, I've been away from golf for awhile and was super confused this year when I went to play a scramble with my father and couldn't find GameGolf anywhere to add to my phone. I was always interested in getting the tags and such for that and I'm glad I didn't now. Thinking about getting back into golf to finish up this year and maybe stick with it through the winter at the indoor range since my son is talking about picking up the game. I basically quit playing because my father couldn't play due to back issues and that left me with nobody in the city I live to play golf with. Not to mention, buying a home, and having our first grandbaby born. Having something like this may be worthwhile once I learn how to swing a darn club again. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how everyone likes it as it evolves.

Edited by Jeremie Boop
typo

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter