IGNORED

TST Explores the ShotScope H4 (Stats Tracking Device) and Pro LX Rangefinder

iacas

@StuM are you sure you grabbed the wrong club or was it a tracking error?

I discovered an approach shot marked with my hybrid that should have been with my 50° when going through my shots plotted. And no, I definitely didn’t mistake my hybrid for my GW. In fact I remember the shot perfectly.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, billchao said:

@StuM are you sure you grabbed the wrong club or was it a tracking error?

I discovered an approach shot marked with my hybrid that should have been with my 50° when going through my shots plotted. And no, I definitely didn’t mistake my hybrid for my GW. In fact I remember the shot perfectly.

The distance, 131 yards, is dead on for my PW and I’ve not had clubs recorded wrong do I am confident it was the PW.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

So I noticed something weird today. Shot Scope seems to assume you forgot to tag stuff if you don't tag any putts on the green. I holed two putts from off the green today and when I came home to edit the rounds, the shots weren't exactly how I played them and they added putts on the green (they were on top of the flag). I don't use the pin collect function and maybe that has something to do with it. I should have taken screenshots.

On the par 3 4th hole, I flared my 7i right, it hit the slope and kicked about 20 away from the green. I pitched up to the green, just on the fringe, and made a 12' putt from the fringe to save par. When I went to edit the hole, it didn't even have my LW pitch shot (maybe I forgot to tag it). It had my putt from the fringe marked correctly and the aforementioned two putts directly on top of the flag which they placed at the center of the green

On the short par 4 16th hole, I hit my drive down the left side of the fairway, hit LW a couple of yards short of the green, then holed that putt for birdie. The editor had my LW shot on the green and the two putts again in the center of the green on top of the hole again. It did not have my actual putt on the hole at the correct position.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

16 hours ago, billchao said:

So I noticed something weird today. Shot Scope seems to assume you forgot to tag stuff if you don't tag any putts on the green. I holed two putts from off the green today and when I came home to edit the rounds, the shots weren't exactly how I played them and they added putts on the green (they were on top of the flag). I don't use the pin collect function and maybe that has something to do with it. I should have taken screenshots.

On the par 3 4th hole, I flared my 7i right, it hit the slope and kicked about 20 away from the green. I pitched up to the green, just on the fringe, and made a 12' putt from the fringe to save par. When I went to edit the hole, it didn't even have my LW pitch shot (maybe I forgot to tag it). It had my putt from the fringe marked correctly and the aforementioned two putts directly on top of the flag which they placed at the center of the green

On the short par 4 16th hole, I hit my drive down the left side of the fairway, hit LW a couple of yards short of the green, then holed that putt for birdie. The editor had my LW shot on the green and the two putts again in the center of the green on top of the hole again. It did not have my actual putt on the hole at the correct position.

I’ve noticed that happening at times too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 hours ago, billchao said:

That's interesting. I haven't seen that. 

BTW - Why don't you use the pin collect feature? I find that tends to put the flag pert near where it belongs. I'm pretty sure I've only forgot to pin collect once or twice in all the rounds I've been using so far. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

That's interesting. I haven't seen that. 

BTW - Why don't you use the pin collect feature? I find that tends to put the flag pert near where it belongs. I'm pretty sure I've only forgot to pin collect once or twice in all the rounds I've been using so far. 

I tried it for a couple of rounds and didn’t like it. I feel like I’m juggling too many things while I’m getting my ball.

Bill

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

I tried it for a couple of rounds and didn’t like it. I feel like I’m juggling too many things while I’m getting my ball.

Interesting. I've kind of gotten in the habit of hitting the button as I reach into the hole to retrieve my ball. Then I put the device back in my belt clip and drop the ball into my right front pocket. It's pretty much a habit. 

On 8/18/2022 at 6:37 PM, billchao said:

It's a pretty cool feature. I was exploring it a little just now, but I haven't learned anything other than, "hit better shots" :-)

I've been diving into my Strokes Gained vs a 10 HCP. What I've found is that I really need to improve from 150 + yards out. I'm teeing off better than a 10 HCP. I'm playing under 100 yards near a 10 HCP, and over 200 yards better than a 10 HCP. But I'm leaking strokes like crazy at around 150 yards. 

I agree pretty cool feature. 

I’ve noticed that the leader board sometimes shows I have 1 round for some stats but 7 rounds for others.

I guess some stats only apply to 18 hole rounds while others include my 9 hole rounds,

my question, why would longest drive include the 9 hole hounds but average drive & drive accuracy only look at the 18 hole rounds?  

Edited by StuM
Fixed typo

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, StuM said:

my question, why would longest drive include the 9 hole hounds but average drive & drive accuracy only look at the 18 hole rounds?  

What did support say?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

What did support say?

I am pending a response

Stuart M.

3 hours ago, StuM said:

I am pending a response

Here is the response from SS.  I am not sure I agree with the logic on average driving distance requiring 18 holes.  If I play 18 I could hit the driver only once if I so choose while playing two nine hole rounds could be 14 driver shots.  Average should simply be distance / # of drives = Average distance.

same with driving accuracy, number of shots / fairways hit. Ten 9-Hole rounds is going to be similar to five 18-Hole rounds.  It is a percentage of shots.

Jamie (Shot Scope Support) 

Aug 25, 2022, 12:54 GMT+1 

Hi Stuart,

It depends on the stat and whether its a single shot or an accumulation of shots. Longest drive is just one shot so doesn't matter of you play one hole or 18. If its average driving distance it needs to all be 18 holes to be comparable. Its easier to be accurate on three tee shots than it is on 14-15.

Kind regards,

Jamie

Stuart M.

• Administrator

Thanks. I’m not sure I agree either. Plus 9 holes times 50 nine-hole rounds is a lot of drivers.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

53 minutes ago, StuM said:

Here is the response from SS.  I am not sure I agree with the logic on average driving distance requiring 18 holes.  If I play 18 I could hit the driver only once if I so choose while playing two nine hole rounds could be 14 driver shots.  Average should simply be distance / # of drives = Average distance.

same with driving accuracy, number of shots / fairways hit. Ten 9-Hole rounds is going to be similar to five 18-Hole rounds.  It is a percentage of shots.

Jamie (Shot Scope Support) 

Aug 25, 2022, 12:54 GMT+1 

Hi Stuart,

It depends on the stat and whether its a single shot or an accumulation of shots. Longest drive is just one shot so doesn't matter of you play one hole or 18. If its average driving distance it needs to all be 18 holes to be comparable. Its easier to be accurate on three tee shots than it is on 14-15.

Kind regards,

Jamie

I'm confused by Jamie's response. If you play 9 holes twice, don't you accumulate the same number of drives as you would playing 18 holes?  

I might also argue that it's not necessarily easier to be accurate on 3 drives than on 14 or 15 of them. Let's say you're the type of golfer who tends to drop kick your first drive of the day. If you're only hitting 3 drives that means you're going to punt 33% of them.

Finally, a wise person told me to count all your shots. If you hit em, you should count them. 

1 hour ago, StuM said:

I am not sure I agree with the logic on average driving distance requiring 18 holes.

Yeah, their response doesn't make sense to me either.

Average is just a mathematical formula, so it shouldn't matter how many holes are played (IMO). Maybe for the "Performance Average" stat for a particular club SS feel like a certain number of shots are needed to accurately apply the special formula that removes outliers, etc. But for average distance for any club, or average driving distance (which I think applies to all tee shots regardless of club except par-3), it shouldn't matter.

Average driving distance is a strange stat since I think it combines multiple clubs, so not sure how meaningful it is.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

@StuM could you forward them a link to this very recent discussion? 🙂

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Plus 9 holes times 50 nine-hole rounds is a lot of drivers

Yup, assuming 5-7 driver per 9  holes you are talking 250-350 shots.  Any bias that 9-holes may somehow be easier would be offset over that many shots.

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Finally, a wise person told me to count all your shots. If you hit em, you should count them.

I've heard the same thing, but I've seen a few people that seem to miss this concept.

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

Average driving distance is a strange stat since I think it combines multiple clubs, so not sure how meaningful it is.

The Leaderboard call is "Average Driving Distance" and "Driving Accuracy" so I believe it is only the driver.  I checked on my performance page and I can isolate my 18-hole round for only the driver and that matches the Driving Accuracy on the Leaderboard so I am quite confident it is only the driver.  Also, the Performance page allows you to select a specific club to review or all clubs and that page does include my 9-hole rounds.  It is only the Leaderboard that is ignoring the 9-hole rounds.

Instead of showing "Rounds Played' may be they should show "Holes Played" which may be more accurate of a description.

My point on the leaderboards is it will be hard for someone like me who plays mostly 9 hole rounds to move up or down if only a small number of my shots are considered.  What if I have a great round that is an outlier.  Is my average really that much better and justify me moving up the leaderboard?

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

could you forward them a link to this very recent discussion? 🙂

Will do.

I had already emailed them some comments and they have "Passed them along".  I just sent them the link to this thread and hopefully they review it.

Stuart M.

41 minutes ago, StuM said:

Instead of showing "Rounds Played' may be they should show "Holes Played" which may be more accurate of a description.

Just thinking, instead of "Holes Played" if talking just about driver could use "Shots Played".  

Stuart M.