IGNORED

Your height and your putter length

Note: This thread is 3475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not to be funny, but do you have short arms, or is it your style that dictates a 35.5"..?

I stand fairly upright and don't bend over too much.  I have long arms for my height.  For me, bending over too much is not comfortable and did not improve my putting.  I am a decent putter too. I was fit to that length.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand fairly upright and don't bend over too much.  I have long arms for my height.  For me, bending over too much is not comfortable and did not improve my putting.  I am a decent putter too. I was fit to that length.

I see..

@Hammer 4 , here is my stance.  I set up as prescribed by Stan Utley.  I find it a very repeatable stance and comfortable. @mvmac suggested minor tweaks to my putting stroke after I send the video from this screen shot to Evolvr.  I went from ~36 putt per round to 31 with this set up.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I match your size and specs but am considering going to a 34". I know a guy who is 6'4 and uses my specs but in 33 inches and a guy who is 5'8 and has 3 degrees flat and 37 inches. I guess it's just whatever works.

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

How are we measuring?  From ground to tip of grip, my putter is 35", but if we're measuring the tip of the grip to the insertion point of the shaft, it's 31.5".  I'm 5'4".

That one. :-D

I'm 5'9" and my TM Daddy LL is the 38" version, I originally was using it the way TM says it's designed for but then did some experimenting with it and found if I use a split grip and claw my right hand I can control the pace much better, since I have made this change three putts have dropped off and I make 4' and in at a high % now I think I'm able to get my putts below 36 per round fairly often, I know some may think that's not that good of stats but you have not putted the greens at my home course they are extremely fast and firm when this course first opened in 2000 people bitched about the greens so much they finally had to soften them, but they still are firm as hell.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I am 5 feet 10 and use a 31 inch putter. I found the Carbite Polar Balanced at a garage sale. It was a belly putter and I tried it out that way, but that just did not work for me. More power to the belly putters out there. Anyway, I liked the head, insert and feel so much, so I cut it down to a shaft length of 31 inches and put a Tiger Shark Oversized grip on it and bam! Rolling action time.

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

I am 6'3" I bounced in between two putter last season. First was a The Laguna 1.5 and I have that at 36" second was the daddy long legs putter which is 38". I enjoy the SC but found the Daddy long legs to be much more comfortable when putting due to the extra length. The putter is designed to have about 2-3" exposed above your hands due to the counter balance effect. but regardless it is a good putter, I would recommend it.

• 8 months later...
5'10" and I just got fitted and cut my 35" putter down to 31" and I hold it about an inch below the butt.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I am 5'11" and use a 33" putter. Lie angle is 70 degrees.

Driver - Cobra Amp Cell/Maltby KE4 V 10.5

FW - Maltby KE4 ST-F 3W

Hybrids - Cobra T-Rail+ 3H and 4H

Irons - Maltby KE4 SS1 4-GW

SW - Cleveland CG16 56*

Putter - Nike Method Core MC02W/Bobby Grace AMG Triumph

Now that I've played for a bit and tried some different things, I have a more over the top style and have cut my putter down to 31". Feels really nice. I have been at Golf Town a lot trying all sort of putters and I have come to really like the feel of the Odyssey White Hot Pro #9. I'll be purchasing this in a 33" since that's the shortest length they're sold in. I don't think I'll modify it though considering you can just choke up if need be and in all reality I'm still learning. I may as well leave a little leeway to work on a more upright stance if required. [quote name="StacktActor" url="/t/11346/your-height-and-your-putter-length/60#post_935527"]I'm barely 5'7 and I ordered a 35" putter. Pings website recommended it as I tend to have an upright stance. However, I'm so new to the game I'm just not sure yet. At least I can cut the shaft if I need to.  [/quote]

:oakley: Oakley Fairway Golf Carry Bag 

:gigagolf: GXz Driver 10.5

:gigagolf: GXz 3 Wood 15

:gigagolf: GXz 3 Hybrid 20

Pinemeadow Command Q Irons 

:gigagolf: SGS Wedges 52, 56, 60

:odyssey:White Ice # 9 Putter

I'm 6'5 1/2" I used a 35 inch Odyssey White Ice number 9, with std loft and lie... thinking about putting a SuperStroke 3.0 on it... I demoed a 2-ball with a Super Stroke and could not miss

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Note: This thread is 3475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!