IGNORED

Buying First Set of Clubs and I'm 6'4'

Hello,

I and just starting to get into golf and looking to purchase my first set. I am just under 6’4” and am assuming whatever normal set of clubs I buy (was looking at the Taylormade RBZ graphite set) will be too short for me. I am wanting to know what the first steps are for me, do I buy clubs and simply add extenders? Or do I go to a fitter (not wanting to spend $$$)? 

Just looking for help on where to start, Cheers

Many places will throw in a fitting if you make a purchase. That said, just because you're tall doesn't necessarily mean you'll need longer clubs, there's a lot that goes into determining length and lie of clubs.

I'm 6'4" also, I have shortish arms so my clubs are 3/4 inch over standard

• Thumbs Up 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm 6'4" as well, and I've only ever played standard length off the rack clubs.  I'm incredibly comfortable with my swing and don't ever feel like I wish my clubs were longer....its just what I got used to when I started learning.

If you can afford a fitter, it would probably be a beneficial place to start, but if it isn't in the budget I don't think you're going to feel like off the rack clubs are too short or anything

-Eric

15 hours ago, Tom246 said:

Hello,

I and just starting to get into golf and looking to purchase my first set. I am just under 6’4” and am assuming whatever normal set of clubs I buy (was looking at the Taylormade RBZ graphite set) will be too short for me. I am wanting to know what the first steps are for me, do I buy clubs and simply add extenders? Or do I go to a fitter (not wanting to spend $$$)? 

Same advice I give everyone who's just starting out.
DON'T go get fit for clubs. ... Unless you just have loads of money and don't want it. 

Instead:

1. Go to Play-It-Again-Sports, or some other venue/webpage to get used clubs. 
  2. Buy what ever set of used clubs you like the look of, feel reasonably confident in, and can easily afford.  
  3. One thing I can tell is that it is unlikely that the first set of clubs you select will be the clubs you'll like once you start playing for a while. 
  4. Used clubs can often be sold for about what you pay for them once you develop a reasonably repeatable swing and figure out what you like. 
  5. Play a lot. Get lessons if you can. Your swing will change. Your opinion on what type of clubs you like will also change. 
  6. At some point (you'll know when) there will be some clubs you decide you like/want/need. If you happened to have purchased the perfect set of clubs, congratulations. But that is not likely. More likely after you play a while and play with different people and try out different clubs you will know what you want. Then go out and get fitted for those clubs. Sell the used ones you bought. 

Buying new clubs before you learn to play is fine. But I truly believe you are better off waiting. Any irons made in the last 10 years aren't going to have any real significant performance differences. Drivers maybe the last 5 years (I still may say 10 years.) Don't spend a lot of money until you know what you like/want/need. 

BTW - Many pro-shops and many golf retailers will extend clubs by 1/2" or 3/4" for a reasonable price if you feel you'd like them to. You can also do it yourself. There are plenty of youtube videos on the subject. 

Good luck. Welcome to the forum. Let us know what you choose to do and how you get on. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

16 hours ago, Tom246 said:

Hello,

I would not go to a fitter for a first set. Buy stock clubs.

New or used are both fine, and choose based on what you like visually and what it feels like, what your budget is, etc. 

Go into a store where they have places you can swing and hit some balls. Waggle/swing a bunch of different clubs from different sets, and just go with what you like.  

I don't think just because you are 6'4" you need over-length clubs; it's actually probably NOT a good idea to do this. However if you are really strong and naturally swing a club really fast, you will probably want a stiffer flex shaft. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

FWIW, I started on a stock, cheap full set of Ram clubs. After a few years I bought a used iron set for < $200. I pulled the trigger because it happened to be longer and more upright than stock. It was SO MUCH better. Going back to my original clubs I felt like I was squatting and hunching to swing with a child's club. I'm 6'3". My now fitted irons are +1" and 2˚ upright.

I agree it's not worth spending a ton of money on getting fit for new clubs. But if you've got any stores nearby that maintain a big used inventory, I'd strongly advocate looking for used clubs with a longer shaft. You could also buy stock and then get them bent a bit upright. That shouldn't be more than a few dollars per club.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I thought Keegan Bradley was taller than 6'-2". I am sure his crazy set up is not a result of his height:

image.png.8f74b78ea4c6a188794d32b38a96dc7f.png

I can't imagine having my hands near my knees like this. Dustin Johnson is 6-4" and doesn't look goofy:

image.png.dae8bf97478effc94253248ed44a1cb8.png

I think most of these taller guys play a slighly longer iron. Maybe 1/2" or so.