IGNORED

NCAA Football 2023

saevel25

Time for the 2023 NCAA football primer!

footer-logo.png

The USA TODAY Sports football coaches poll is conducted weekly throughout the NCAA college football regular season. See the Top 25 rankings from the head coaches.

Latest recruiting rankings... A few more seasons of this, and ND is back! 

102760.png

In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating.

Some updated news, UCLA and USC petitioned and were accepted into the Big10. A shrewd move my both teams. I can understand from the Big10 perspective that in the modern era of college football regionality doesn't matter as much as it use to. The Big10 and the Pac12 has always had a tie through the Rose Bowl. Also, if we are heading towards few, and larger, super conferences then the Big10 is solidifying they will be one of them. 

The next domino to fall might be Notre Dame to the Big10. ND's primary TV rights is with NBC, which now has succeeded in getting rights to Big10 games. ESPN has been locked out of Big10 games under the new Big10 media rights deal. Right now, ND needs to spend about $100 million to get out of their contract with the ACC. Teams in the Big10 are reported to get like $65+ million per year in their new TV contract. So, I could see ND easily absorbing that amount. 

I try not to be such a romantic about things. I do not mind eliminating regionality to college football. With the now every expanding NIL deals for college football players, restructuring makes sense to me. I think the current 120+ schools for D1 football should be split up into the top 40-50 teams who actually want to spend money on football seriously, versus those that don't. They can still have football, and still play the upper devision, but they can have their own championship. 

Only 13 teams have won the BCS championship or college football playoff. If you look at the top 40 teams who are willing to spend money on college football, close to half come from two conferences, the Big10 and the SEC. 

Edited by saevel25
  • Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to NCAA Football 2023
  • 1 year later...

Well quite the opening day! But the predicted winners pretty much came through with of course the exception of Ohio Sate stinking it up with their 20-3 win over cupcake Indiana😃. OU took ArkSt to the cleaners with their 73-0 humiliation. Oregon 81-7 to poor Portland St. Best game was Colorado beating TCU! Congrats to coach Prime!!

Edited by Vinsk
  • Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Best game was Colorado beating TCU! Congrats to coach Prime!!

Afraid I missed the games but might need to find a replay of Colorado-TCU.  1 game does not mean Colorado will be a contender.

It may have been that TCU could not prepare a game plan given lack of video to understand Colorado’s abilities & style of play and then was not “good enough” to adjust when needed.  Next week Colorado’s opponent will have tape to review.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

4 hours ago, StuM said:

Afraid I missed the games but might need to find a replay of Colorado-TCU.  1 game does not mean Colorado will be a contender.

It may have been that TCU could not prepare a game plan given lack of video to understand Colorado’s abilities & style of play and then was not “good enough” to adjust when needed.  Next week Colorado’s opponent will have tape to review.

LOL.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

16 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Well quite the opening day! But the predicted winners pretty much came through with of course the exception of Ohio Sate stinking it up with their 20-3 win over cupcake Indiana😃. OU took ArkSt to the cleaners with their 73-0 humiliation. Oregon 81-7 to poor Portland St. Best game was Colorado beating TCU! Congrats to coach Prime!!

Yea, new QB, three new OL, on the road, and very bland play calling equals that! I am just glad to see the defense give up one play over 20 yards. Last year, they just had big malfunctions on defense. We pray the OL starts to gel. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Yea, new QB, three new OL, on the road, and very bland play calling equals that! I am just glad to see the defense give up one play over 20 yards. Last year, they just had big malfunctions on defense. We pray the OL starts to gel. 

Well they’ll be unchallenged for the next couple of games until they play ND. That will give Day some time to figure out what’s to be done. Did you watch the CO/TCU game? I thought it was easily the most entertaining game Saturday.

2023 gonna be monumental as we lose some famous rivalry games for 2024. No more Bedlam, no USC/Stanford. I’m looking forward to the 12 team playoff program, for now. A win vs ND for OSU will probably be the spark for them. They still have enormous talent on that team. 

7 hours ago, StuM said:

You missed the best game of the day.    It was an entertaining, fast-paced, and very offense-oriented game.   TCU had plenty of game film to prepare for Coach Prime.   If anyone watched Jackson State last year and their great season it was very similar but with better overall talent.    If Colorado continues to improve, they will contend for a good post-season bowl. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

With the new clock rule Chip Kelly is not happy, and took a shot at the broadcast stations...

• Funny 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Well…that’ll do it for Clemson…LOL. 28-7 loss against Duke….ya done. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

University of Michigan is being investigated for sending out people, prior in advance to a game, to scout signs.  Per NCAA rules, it is illegal to send someone, in advance of their game to scout signs for sign stealing. Apparently, UM had a vast network of people to steal their opponents' signals. These yet to be named individuals were at games of future opponents and teams in the hunt for the CFB playoff.

Note, you can steal signs during the game, as long as you are not intercepting in-game electronic transmissions. 

It will be interesting to see how this all goes down. I wonder how far back it goes. If this is true, and pending if Jim or the AD's lie to the NCAA. They can bring down the hammer with massive recruiting sanctions, vacating wins, and banning coaches from coaching in college football by having a show cause clause for future employment. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

30 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

University of Michigan is being investigated for sending out people, prior in advance to a game, to scout signs.  Per NCAA rules, it is illegal to send someone, in advance of their game to scout signs for sign stealing. Apparently, UM had a vast network of people to steal their opponents' signals. These yet to be named individuals were at games of future opponents and teams in the hunt for the CFB playoff.

Note, you can steal signs during the game, as long as you are not intercepting in-game electronic transmissions. 

It will be interesting to see how this all goes down. I wonder how far back it goes. If this is true, and pending if Jim or the AD's lie to the NCAA. They can bring down the hammer with massive recruiting sanctions, vacating wins, and banning coaches from coaching in college football by having a show cause clause for future employment. 

Interesting. I'll be curious to see how long it takes for any findings/final judgement to come out. Hopefully before things like Big Ten championship game and the CFB playoffs start.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

It's the dumbest "scandal" since the last NCAA "scandal" with Michigan. Change your signs.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

19 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

It's the dumbest "scandal" since the last NCAA "scandal" with Michigan. Change your signs.

Nah. 
1. don’t lie to the NCAA. That gets you suspended. It was never about the hamburgers. 

2. NCAA allows sign stealing, during the game. If your a team that uses the same sign for the same play 8x during a game, you should have them stolen. The line in the sand is sending out people to other teams games or practices to steal signs before a game. Most people would agree what the Astro’s did was cheating. Clearly sign stealing is apart of MLB. Same with golf. Plenty of ways to manipulate the rules, legally, towards your favor. Just don’t cross the cheating line. If the NCAA finds that they did this, it’s clear they crossed over the line they shouldn’t have. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

1. don’t lie to the NCAA. That gets you suspended. It was never about the hamburgers. 

There's no proof that Harbaugh lied. The closest I heard was that he said "I do not recall," which is very different. I could be wrong in the end, sure. But that is why the process is taking so long.

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The line in the sand is sending out people to other teams games or practices to steal signs before a game.

The allegation that this happened at games. Again, I haven't read of any proof of this. It seems pretty nonsensical to me. How on earth do you get caught doing this? Do they have Jack Harbaugh going to Indiana games with binoculars? Do we even care, though? Michigan plays in front of 100,000 fans every home game. Is it really their god-given right to have their signals kept completely secret? 

Also, with the armies of analysts all these teams have, I would bet money there are a lot of teams doing in-person scouting. I don't know if Michigan is one of them, and I'm not sure I care. 

-- Daniel

36 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

It's not a dumb scandal if a team broke broke the rules. You might feel that the rule is dumb but everyone needs to follow the same rules.

5 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

The allegation that this happened at games. Again, I haven't read of any proof of this.  

That's the point of the investigation. To see if proof exists. Obviously the powers at be felt there was enough smoke from the allegation to justify an investigation.

6 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Do we even care, though? Michigan plays in front of 100,000 fans every home game. Is it really their god-given right to have their signals kept completely secret?  

Yes, I care that all teams follow the same rules. I would feel the same way regardless of what team was being investigated.

It's not about a god-given right, it's about following the rules.

8 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Also, with the armies of analysts all these teams have, I would bet money there are a lot of teams doing in-person scouting. I don't know if Michigan is one of them, and I'm not sure I care. 

Just because other teams might do it doesn't make it ok or right.

If someone else might have cheated at golf does that make it ok for you to cheat?

A low-level staffer with a military background has emerged as one of the linchpins in the NCAA investigation into Michigan's alleged sign-stealing operation, sources told ESPN.

Here is the thing with the NCAA, they view the HC as the person who runs the program and not knowing isn't good enough. If this is true, and Jim didn't know, he may get hit with lack of institutional control over his program and get hammered by the NCAA. I would assume the AD would require him to step down to try to mitigate the penalty from the NCAA. Jim letting this happen, presumably from since 2021, is not good. 

Still need that official statement from the NCAA, but we now have an actual name in the program that supposedly led this spy network. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

15 hours ago, klineka said:

You might feel that the rule is dumb but everyone needs to follow the same rules.

In college football? When has that ever been the case? College football has been dirty as hell since the beginning. Both on and off the field. Schools have never followed the same rules.

I also will not reflexively defend the rules of a morally corrupt institution. 

10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Shocking that a Buckeye either didn't the article or can't read. The article says he's been a volunteer coach since 2015. So you're going to need a new excuse for why Michigan has beat OSU the past 2 years.

• Funny 1

-- Daniel

38 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Shocking that a Buckeye either didn't the article or can't read. The article says he's been a volunteer coach since 2015. So you're going to need a new excuse for why Michigan has beat OSU the past 2 years.

I'm not following your logic here. What does any of this have to do with Ohio State? Who are you referring to that didn't read the article or can't read?

FWIW, I would feel the exact same way towards Ohio State (or any other school) if these allegations were towards OSU rather than Michigan.