IGNORED

Biggest jerk on the tour?

easygrip
Note: This thread is 805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think Greg Norman in his day was as big a jerk as they come. John Feinstrin pretty much said the same thing in 'A Good Walk Spoiled'. Greg's idea of the World Tour and the PGA Tour's World Tour are so vastly different that I cannot believe that Norman has a beef with Finchem over this and his "they stole my idea" theory.

Are you referring to the WGC? I think Norman has a good reason to beef about it.

Just to keep on topic here. I used to idolise Norman - but now think he's a jerk, for many reasons, but his idea was pretty much stolen by the PGA tour. And for those of you who haven't read "A Good Walk Spoiled", do so, because it is one of the best golf books out there, if not the best.

• 1 month later...
I remember an article in Golf Digest a few years ago where tour caddies gave their opinions of various tour players. The comment I remember was about Scott Simpson who one caddy described as acting annoyed that you were breathing the same air as him.

• 2 months later...

I Googled Rory Sabatini and the first few results made me chuckle

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...;=Google+Search
I'd have to second this one. I've heard stories over the years about this guy (he's from my area). I didn't want to believe it either because he's a local guy (although says he's from Hawaii now or something), but I saw him at the Sr. Open here in St. Louis a few years back coming off the practice range very early in the morning. Maybe 20 folks watching the range. As he made his way to the clubhouse, this kid, maybe 8 or 10 asked him for an autograph on his program and was reaching out to him with a sharpie. And Hale says "don't point that at me" in a very stern way. Just thought it was a prick move. I'm sure those guys are bombarded and they have bad days like all of us, but jesus, one person asking for your autograph and he's 10. No reason for it. Good thing I am without flaws and have the patience of Job!!

Very 'Tin Cup'

I'd heard a few stories about Hale being a jerk too, I can't even remember where it came from but I think he is well known for it.
Many years ago, a caddy at Bay Hill told me that without any question Curtis Strange was the biggest jerk around. (in his prime)

He lives very close to my MIL & FIL and his kids went to school with my BIL. My wife and her side of the family have met him a few times and she says he is pretty nice guy. He was well known in the town and would welcome people coming up to him and asking golf questions.

Maybe on the course he was a different animal...

In the Matrix XTT Standbag:

Driver: Biggest Big Bertha 11*
Fairway Wood: Steelhead Plus 3 Wood
Irons: T-Zoid Titanium Insert irons 3-SWWedge: Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.04Putter: Pro Platinum Laguna 34" w/ British Open '04 headcoverBall: ProV1 Rule35 Playing again after a three year hiatus...

Correct...It's Rory or Goosen.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

Sergio.....Sergio......Sergio.....the ill tempered immature one.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Definitely the all time under achiever... Tom Weiskopf...

I stood next to him while he threw his "hissy girly fit" at the 1996 Senior US Open at Canterbury County Club. He was whining to any one that would listen about his partner (the reining senior amateur champion) using a "shiny" coin to mark his ball!!!

justin Leonard, due to personally experience.
When I was seven or so, I got his autograph at the Byron, and when he was signing a hat I said "hook em horns", or something reffering to his college, no Hey, or thanks, or even eye contact. He did the same to the other kids I saw, who said other things along the same lines as I did.

I don't care how bad you played, you can't ignore little 7 year olds who think you're super human.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

Definitely the all time under achiever... Tom Weiskopf...

I can give a counter example on Weiskopf. In the late '70s at Doral he was involved in a great battle with Nicklaus, 36 holes head-to-head on Sunday after the Saturday round was rained out. Weiskopf ended up winning by 1, despite several hole outs from Jack from well off the green.

Anyway, on about the 7th hole of the final round Weiskopf hit his tee shot then ducked under the ropes and jogged toward the little rest room near the tee. There were 5 or 6 guys in line. The guys at the back of the line saw Weiskopf and asked the guys in front to clear out and let him use the urinal. As everyone was moving out of the way, Weiskopf smiled and said he'd wait his turn. "You guys have to go as bad as I do." Everyone who heard it burst into laughter. Contemporary, I second the nomination of Hunter Mahan. I followed him for several holes at Doral this year and he was the ultimate jerk. He was having an off day with the driver and acting like he was the center of the universe, mocking his swing. On the 11th tee he pushed one wild right and was so disgusted he wandered around and ended up behind his playing partner to the left. Mahan had forgotten his tee and it was still in the ground. The next player on the tee, a European, picked up the tee and tossed it at Mahan with a miffed shake of the head, as if wondering when he was going to grow up.

I know he isnt playing full time but I think John Daly is.

In my Bag-

Driver: 909 d3 Matrix Ozik XCON 6 stiff
3 wood: 906 f4 Graphite Design YS-6+
Irons: r7 tp Dynamic Gold S300Wedges: vokey spin milled Putter: tei3 newport 2

the all-time biggest jerk, from what i've heard goes to ben hogan. could be quite ornery. once he said to arnold palmer when he was new on the tour after watching him on the driving range, "don't give up your day job"

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I know he isnt playing full time but I think John Daly is.

How on earth could Daly be the biggest jerk? Heck, he is known to give his shoes, balls, and stand around for hours signing stuff for fans.

Of course, Daly has other issues, but being a jerk doesn't seem to be one of them.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

I can give a counter example on Weiskopf. In the late '70s at Doral he was involved in a great battle with Nicklaus, 36 holes head-to-head on Sunday after the Saturday round was rained out. Weiskopf ended up winning by 1, despite several hole outs from Jack from well off the green.

Sounds to me like the jerk was the euro who threw a fissy fit after seeing another tee on the box.

Anytime someone calls Bubba's name when he's not busy (ex. walking off the range today) he didn't even respond. No nod of the head, wave, tip of the cap - nothing. Seems like a jerk to me. I mean, I'm not looking for a full engaging conversation, but at least acknowledge your fans as you walk over to the putting green. It's not like he's about to hit his shot on the course.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Time to change that avatar

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Anytime someone calls Bubba's name when he's not busy (ex. walking off the range today) he didn't even respond. No nod of the head, wave, tip of the cap - nothing. Seems like a jerk to me. I mean, I'm not looking for a full engaging conversation, but at least acknowledge your fans as you walk over to the putting green. It's not like he's about to hit his shot on the course.

That's weird, because when I was at a tournament in Hawaii Bubba talked to me for like 25 minutes letting me see his clubs, and hold them. Then again I was there on one of the practice round days, maybe that made a difference

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Rory Sabbatini(sp?) hands down.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

Andy Bean yelled at me in the third round of the 2006 US Senior Open. I was carrying the sign with the players' scores. And although I stood in the same spot in relation to the golfers on every hole - according to the training, he yelled directly at me for standing in his peripheral sight line behind him before his drive on the 5th. I thought, "Man, what a jerk..."
I made sure he couldn't see me for the rest of the round.
Then after the 18th green, after he shot 30, 34 = 64; he came over to me and thanked me for the day and gave me a signed ProV1. That was pretty cool.

How about Tripp Isenhour for killing that hawk. ( http://www.topix.com/forum/source/or...OLJ1RHOGEJ2J6A )
Sure, he apologized. Everyone apologizes.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Note: This thread is 805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!