IGNORED

What Are Your 2023 Golf Goals?

iacas

2 hours ago, scotth said:

Hello everybody!  Looong time since I have visited the site here.  For those that remember me, was starting to play again after many years because of a back injury that happened again.

Played first round yesterday since 2019 and was about what you would expect after that long a time off.  Erratic contact and distances with every club, but so happy to be pain free the next day.  

Goals for the rest of the year will be to play more and be pain free and get back to fairly consistent swing and contact.  

Welcome back!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I hit my SW through my 8 pretty consistently.  I would like to at least improve my ball striking with my 7 and 6 irons along with fix my driver slice.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I played 9 holes 4 weeks ago; first time since college and I’m 60 this month.  In the last 4 weeks I’ve bought some clubs, read and watched a lot of video and am making golf my newest OCD subject apart from the last two boats I’ve completely remodeled the last two years…

I want to become better at this sport in 2023 and be able to make it a fun, daily part of the rest of my life that I can share with my family, friends and others.

My goal for the next year is to learn a decent swing, learn to manage each hole I play as well as each club in my bag.  I would love this year, to document my avg for each club I use and actually become consistent enough to develop a handicap in the low 30’s.  My goal includes setting short term training goals, working out daily and doing other things to get there.

Thanks for having me and thanks for this great forum!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BThomas said:

I played 9 holes 4 weeks ago; first time since college and I’m 60 this month.  In the last 4 weeks I’ve bought some clubs, read and watched a lot of video and am making golf my newest OCD subject apart from the last two boats I’ve completely remodeled the last two years…

I want to become better at this sport in 2023 and be able to make it a fun, daily part of the rest of my life that I can share with my family, friends and others.

My goal for the next year is to learn a decent swing, learn to manage each hole I play as well as each club in my bag.  I would love this year, to document my avg for each club I use and actually become consistent enough to develop a handicap in the low 30’s.  My goal includes setting short term training goals, working out daily and doing other things to get there.

Thanks for having me and thanks for this great forum!

Welcome to TST.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Play more than one full round...that's my goal. Rough summer. 🤣

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

• 1 month later...

My goal this year is to get down to one set of irons.  I currently have 6 sets remaining, most of which are on Ebay or some other online marketplace.  I have gone back to my faithful and trusty Titleist DCI black triangle irons with Titleist Tri-Spec Regular shafts.  These are the irons that I won two club championships with and regularly beat Bart and William Tornquist out of hundreds of dollars back in the late 90's.  I think they are probably the best iron ever made and, believe me, I've tried them all.  I like my current set, Callaway Apex CF19 but sometimes an iron will travel 20 yards further than I expected.  They are just silly long and unpredictable.  With the Titleist DCI Blacks, I get less distance but the distance is very reliable and accurate.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, famousdavis said:

My goal this year is to get down to one set of irons.  I currently have 6 sets remaining, most of which are on Ebay or some other online marketplace.  I have gone back to my faithful and trusty Titleist DCI black triangle irons with Titleist Tri-Spec Regular shafts.  These are the irons that I won two club championships with and regularly beat Bart and William Tornquist out of hundreds of dollars back in the late 90's.  I think they are probably the best iron ever made and, believe me, I've tried them all.  I like my current set, Callaway Apex CF19 but sometimes an iron will travel 20 yards further than I expected.  They are just silly long and unpredictable.  With the Titleist DCI Blacks, I get less distance but the distance is very reliable and accurate.  

Got about 3 months left.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2023 at 5:35 PM, famousdavis said:

My goal this year is to get down to one set of irons.  I currently have 6 sets remaining, most of which are on Ebay or some other online marketplace...

Donate the clubs to the First Tee or another local charity. A man of your standing in the community does not need the few dollars you might get peddling old golf clubs on Ebay.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

Brian Kuehn

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I sold the DCI blacks for a little more than I purchased them for, so that's good.  I'm currently playing a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Pro II irons with Mizuno Exsar Regular shafts.  The feel of these irons is sublime.  I've also put a Titleist TSi3 9 degree driver in the bag with the Diamana Kai-Li Stiff and I've never hit the ball further.  I'd say that I've gained 10 yards with the driver.  I hit a couple of drives around 290 and had a chance to get on all of the par 5's in two.  I may be going back to the trusty Ping Pal 2 putter in short order.  I've been beating my regular foursome out of money pretty much every weekend, which is perfect for Christmas time.  

• Administrator
1 hour ago, famousdavis said:

Well, I sold the DCI blacks for a little more than I purchased them for, so that's good.  I'm currently playing a set of Mizuno T-Zoid Pro II irons with Mizuno Exsar Regular shafts.  The feel of these irons is sublime. I've also put a Titleist TSi3 9 degree driver in the bag with the Diamana Kai-Li Stiff and I've never hit the ball further.  I'd say that I've gained 10 yards with the driver.  I hit a couple of drives around 290 and had a chance to get on all of the par 5's in two.  I may be going back to the trusty Ping Pal 2 putter in short order.  I've been beating my regular foursome out of money pretty much every weekend, which is perfect for Christmas time.  

This is off topic. We let the schtick go on the previous post, but c'mon man. Aren't you tired of this trolling BS?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, TourSpoon said:

Update: I moved in Feb and am now set up in a golf community. I will be getting to work as the move and everything that comes with it has subsided. Its a dream come true to be able to take my cart 5 minutes down the path to get to the practice area. This summer, I plan to play a lot of golf. Anyway, an update: 

1. SS is consistently in the 103 range and ball speed at 150+. I haven't got to 155 consistently, but I am getting closer, I hope to get the SS to 105 and ball speed to correspond. 

2. Handicap is still at a solid 4.5, even with the new course being extremely tricky with raised green complexes. High 3s is in sight, but is going to take some work in category 3 and 4. 

3. I am averaging 8 greens per round, so I need to get to 9 before I get to 10. I am thinking 50% (9) would be a more realistic target. 

4. Scrambling is just at 33% (sand saves are 48%) so I have work to do. Scrambling is anytime I miss a green and still make par (or not) regardless if I had a shot for the green in regulation. I would venture to say that my up/down percentage is much better, but that's not how that stat works. 

Update: The move has been amazing! I love the country club life. As soon as I got here, I went into speed training mode and sometime in June, injured my thumb which took me out for 6 weeks. I climbed back on the horse and was cruising along nicely when I decided to go down the yoga/mobility path and pulled some tiny little something in my hip joint which sidelined me for 2 weeks. Anyway, I am -19 on the Birdie challenge (17 birdies, 2 eagles) and need 1 more birdie to complete. I am back to playing regularly and hope to get in another 5 rounds before the new year. 

1. SS is about the same @ 103 range. 

2. Handicap has varied from 4.1 to 6.0. 

3. Greens are elusive but still around 7-8 per round. 

4. Scrambling about the same at 33/50. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I’m starting 2024 off with losing my swing. Finally have a practice net I can hit a few balls in. Thanks Santa 

• Thumbs Up 1

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

5,6,7,8,9,pw,S,gap,60 cobra ltdx 

sabertooth putter

• Administrator

We'll start the 2024 goals topic soon.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, rocket23 said:

I’m starting 2024 off with NOT  losing my swing. Finally have a practice net I can hit a few balls in. Thanks Santa 

We don’t have long to wait. 

whats In the bag. 
Callaway epic max LS

Cobra Fmax 3,5 woods 

Titleist 4 hybrid 

5,6,7,8,9,pw,S,gap,60 cobra ltdx 

sabertooth putter

On 11/18/2022 at 9:59 PM, The Flush said:

Play more golf by avoiding another surgery.

2017 Torn right meniscus, no surgery although I almost opted for it.  Fully recovered without it.

2019 Gall bladder removed in July, missed a few weeks

2020 No problems, played more golf during COVID year.

2021 Torn left meniscus 3 holes after my first ever eagle. Missed a lot of golf due to pain. No surgery, rarely feel a little pain now.

2022 January incisional/umbilical hernia repair from the gall bladder surgery. Did not really recover fully until April or May

2022 November inguinal hernia repair timed to heal up over the winter to minimize missed golf time. It was 10 days ago and I already feel pretty good, much easier than umbilical hernia recovery.

2023 ??? During inguinal hernia surgery the surgeon found an incisional hernia from my 36 year old appendectomy that could not be repaired laparoscopically while I was already put under.  My appendix ruptured while I was taking my AP History exam and I was in the hospital for 2.5 weeks fighting the infection and I missed the last 3 weeks of high school. I was sent home with an open incision that I had to flush with peroxide. No wonder I have a hernia there since the incision was never sutured closed, although it has never bothered me. I haven't met with the surgeon yet, but it sounds like they think I really need to get it fixed and that it will be an open surgery. Unless there is an opening in the schedule to get it done in December (because I have already hit out of pocket max) I hope I can delay it until next November. I anticipate that this will be the hardest recovery other than the appendectomy and 1998 back surgery.

I did play more golf this year, but I didn't avoid another surgery.  Fortunately is was just a Mohs surgery to remove a basal cell carcinoma.  I did pass on an offer to play a scramble a couple days afterwards, but otherwise didn't miss any golf.

War Eagle!

• iacas unpinned and unfeatured this topic