IGNORED

Rose Zhang Wins LPGA Debut

boogielicious

Where Rose Zhang walks, history follows. Her celebrated golf journey continued Sunday at the LPGA's Mizuho Americas Open while surviving a slog at Liberty National, shooting a closing 74 that was good enough to get into a playoff and beat Jennifer Kupcho on the second extra hole.

Zhang, 20, became only the second player to win her professional debut on the LPGA, joining Beverly Hanson, winner at the 1951 Eastern Open in the second year of the tour's existence.

This is pretty cool. I’ve watched her play. She is an excellent player and can hang tough when things aren’t going so well too. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Not a single birdie in 20 holes on Sunday, either. Six-hour 18 hole round.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Six-hour 18 hole round.

I didn't see that, but I did notice that they were finishing in the dark. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

If you want a little more background about Rose, No Laying Up followed the Stanford women's golf team and made this video:

I am personally a fan of Rose, and I really hope she become a superstar on the LPGA. The LPGA really needs someone to step up and dominate. Right now, the LPGA has a lot of good golfers who do not live up to their talent, especially in the majors. That is particularly true for the Americans on the LPGA tour (looking at you, Nelly and Lexi). Rose winning in her first professional start is a great first step.

One thing that concerns me is Rose's putting stroke. It's probably something she can fix, though.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Good timing on turning pro and a 400k pay day to boot! Historic performance to win her first tournament. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Got to throw a little light on Jennifer Kupcho, she made up 5 shots to force a playoff, Rose missed a few birdie opportunities which helped Jennifer get closer, but a good bit of excitement for the LPGA.  Every product sponsor rep was up early this morning getting the proposals out. Congrats to her.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime X, :adidas: Tour360 22

1 hour ago, snapfade said:

Got to throw a little light on Jennifer Kupcho, she made up 5 shots to force a playoff, Rose missed a few birdie opportunities which helped Jennifer get closer, but a good bit of excitement for the LPGA.  Every product sponsor rep was up early this morning getting the proposals out. Congrats to her.

Plus she’s won a major, last years Chevon.

Scott

My Swing Thread

7 hours ago, DeadMan said:

If you want a little more background about Rose, No Laying Up followed the Stanford women's golf team and made this video:

I am personally a fan of Rose, and I really hope she become a superstar on the LPGA. The LPGA really needs someone to step up and dominate. Right now, the LPGA has a lot of good golfers who do not live up to their talent, especially in the majors. That is particularly true for the Americans on the LPGA tour (looking at you, Nelly and Lexi). Rose winning in her first professional start is a great first step.

One thing that concerns me is Rose's putting stroke. It's probably something she can fix, though.

I'm a big fan of the NLU crew's content and this piece was the best thing they have put together. What a week to have been following this team.  If you haven't watched it, you should.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Rose seems to be pretty short off the tee, how much will this affect her?

I think she's short compared to Kupcho. I don't think she is short compared to the average LPGA Tour player.

Lydia Ko is 108th at 255.52 yards (https://www.lpga.com/statistics/driving/average-driving-distance).

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Rose seems to be pretty short off the tee, how much will this affect her?

Depends on the course I would think. Shanshan Feng was a little over 250 off the tee and ranked around 100th and still won a lot when she was playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

Roll out on these courses they play is crazy. Rose was definitely only carrying it like 210 with the driver on some holes

Colin P.

I think that distance is not as important on the LPGA tour as it on the PGA tour. Inbee Park won 7 majors as a short hitter. Jin Young Ko, the world number 1 is middle of the pack. Rose seems to be long enough to compete. And her accuracy and ball striking are clearly well above average already.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On 6/5/2023 at 10:10 AM, DeadMan said:

@DeadMan, thanks for sharing this! I watched it last night and it was tremendous! That entire team is amazing, and I was very impressed with everyone.  Heck’s ROTC commitment while being a college athlete shows how broad her interests are. As a former college athlete I had little time after practice and school. Heck has great focus and time management skills!

On 6/11/2023 at 9:08 AM, May Jonahan said:

She was averaging 267 off the tee which is ranked around 30th on tour 

I was talking about her carry average, which seems to be low 200s from what I watched

• Like 1

Colin P.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, colin007 said:

I was talking about her carry average, which seems to be low 200s from what I watched

But… 267 would put her in the top 35 of the LPGA Tour's driving distance:

12 hours ago, iacas said:

But… 267 would put her in the top 35 of the LPGA Tour's driving distance:

I guess I never really paid attention to how much roll the ladies get. I shouldn't be surprised, the roll men get is ridiculous also

Colin P.