IGNORED

Reverse Gross Match Played as Net?

reidsou

Two players played a match in a gross match play tournament. Before the round, not understanding the meaning of "gross", they compared handicaps and agreed player A should get 2 strokes. Afterwards, player A and B agreed that player A won the match on the second extra hole. They reported the result to the Committee, including that strokes were given and hole scores. Without the strokes, player B would have won the match 1 up. 

Should the Committee reverse the result and award the match to player B? If so, under what rule? 

I reviewed the rules and formed a tentative opinion. Rules that seem applicable are 1.3c, 3.1c, 20.1b, and 20.2d. 

But none of these rules is a good fit. Would like to see what others think. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thr player is responsible for knowing the terms of the match.  I don't see a justification to reverse the reported results.   

• Informative 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't see a justification to reverse the reported results.   

Wouldn't the justification to reverse the reported results be that the match wasn't played in the method that the tournament (and all the other players) should have been played?

Doesn't really seem fair to the rest of the tournament field that player A won their match only because of handicap strokes when ever other match (presumably) was played gross with no strokes.

IMO, (just my gut feel not supported by any review of rulings or anything) is that Player B should be the winner since they would have won 1up on gross scores.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

23 minutes ago, klineka said:

Wouldn't the justification to reverse the reported results be that the match wasn't played in the method that the tournament (and all the other players) should have been played?

Doesn't really seem fair to the rest of the tournament field that player A won their match only because of handicap strokes when ever other match (presumably) was played gross with no strokes.

IMO, (just my gut feel not supported by any review of rulings or anything) is that Player B should be the winner since they would have won 1up on gross scores.

This is where I'd refer to 20.1b(3), for instances where a match can be reversed after the results are finalized.  There are two conditions that must be met, and neither one is.

edit to add, this might depend on whether he match has been finalized, based on the terms of he competition.  B doesn't have much rounds to request a ruling,  is really his own fault for not understanding the meaning of  "gross".

• Informative 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I am not a rules expert by any means, but it was match play and if after each hole and finally the match, they mutually agreed upon the results its a done deal.  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

29 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This is where I'd refer to 20.1b(3), for instances where a match can be reversed after the results are finalized.  There are two conditions that must be met, and neither one is.

edit to add, this might depend on whether he match has been finalized, based on the terms of he competition.  B doesn't have much rounds to request a ruling,  is really his own fault for not understanding the meaning of  "gross".

That makes sense.

I guess the part I still struggle with is the fact that the match wasn't played/scored by the same set of rules that every other match in the same tournament was.

What's stopping two players in a different match from agreeing "we don't want to count penalty strokes in our match so we wont" or "we each get 1 mulligan to use at any point during the round". Then once that match is finalized too that result would stick too, right?

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

5 minutes ago, klineka said:

What's stopping two players in a different match from agreeing "we don't want to count penalty strokes in our match so we wont" or "we each get 1 mulligan to use at any point during the round". Then once that match is finalized too that result would stick too, right?

You aren't allowed to knowingly break the rules. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Thr player is responsible for knowing the terms of the match.  I don't see a justification to reverse the reported results.   

That is compelling. And your reference to rule 20.1b(3).

FYI, I know it doesn't matter, but the player who gave strokes is new to our tournaments. 

My initial thought was the player who received strokes broke rule 3.1c. And the penalty for breach of a rule that gave a significant advantage is DQ - rule 1.3c. However, both players were unaware. And, as you stated, the criteria for reversing the match are not met. 

4 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

You aren't allowed to knowingly break the rules. 

If two players knowingly ignore the rules in a match (rule 1.3b) are they both disqualified from the competition? Giving a forfeit to the next round opponent? 

1.3b  If two or more players agree to ignore any Rule or penalty they know applies

20.1b If two or more players agree to ignore any Rule or penalty they know applies

It would seem they didn't.

Edited by Rulesman

• Administrator
3 hours ago, klineka said:

I guess the part I still struggle with is the fact that the match wasn't played/scored by the same set of rules that every other match in the same tournament was.

So? The match only affected them. This isn't stroke play: you can ignore a breach of the rules by your competitor in match play. So, theoretically, every match could be played under a shifting, vague set of enforcement (or not).

Players can't knowingly agree to breach the rules, but they can overlook breaches by the opponent, and if they come to a decision on a ruling, it will stand as it only affects their match.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets