IGNORED

How do You Measure Average Drive Distance

jfrain2004

Are duff shots counted in average driving distance stats. I mean if you hit your first 9 shots down the middle for average of 250yrds, but then top your 10th and it goes all of 1yrd then is your avg driving distance now 2250/10 = 225 yards? 

• Administrator

I don't. I let ShotScope do it for me, so… whatever they say. 😄 

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't. I let ShotScope do it for me, so… whatever they say. 😄 

What he said. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 hybrid. :ping: G410 Fairway  :titleist: 5-AW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:tmade: Spider Tour X putter

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

5 hours ago, jfrain2004 said:

Are duff shots counted in average driving distance stats. I mean if you hit your first 9 shots down the middle for average of 250yrds, but then top your 10th and it goes all of 1yrd then is your avg driving distance now 2250/10 = 225 yards? 

Yes, that is your mean average. Which may or may not be a useful number. 

The median average or mode average (which in your example is the same number, 250) can sometimes be a more useful number, but not always. 

Sometimes looking at how close your mean or mode average is to your median average can be useful. It all depends why you are measuring your average and what you plan to do with that number. 

BTW - The median is the middle number when all of the numbers are ordered from least to greatest and the mode is the most common number in the set.  

So, in answer to your question I can give you a very definitive response of "It depends".

I think most people use what is called a trimmed mean...  Which is the mean average after outliers are removed. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I use shotscope and find that is a big down side to it. I'm pretty consistent with my irons but I'm one of those golfers that uses all my irons around the green, depending on how much carry or roll a particular chip shot requires. I find myself having to edit a round afterwards and mark all my chip shots as using gap wedge as it throws off otherwise good stats on how long I hit my irons. 5 flushed 9 irons raging from 135 to 145 makes for a nice average of around 140. But 5yrd green side chip with my 9 iron then reduces my 9 iron average to around 115.  

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, jfrain2004 said:

I use shotscope and find that is a big down side to it. I'm pretty consistent with my irons but I'm one of those golfers that uses all my irons around the green, depending on how much carry or roll a particular chip shot requires. I find myself having to edit a round afterwards and mark all my chip shots as using gap wedge as it throws off otherwise good stats on how long I hit my irons. 5 flushed 9 irons raging from 135 to 145 makes for a nice average of around 140. But 5yrd green side chip with my 9 iron then reduces my 9 iron average to around 115.  

Are you sure about that? Have you written to them to ask about that? Do you look at the performance stats?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Yes, that is your mean average. Which may or may not be a useful number. 

The median average or mode average (which in your example is the same number, 250) can sometimes be a more useful number, but not always. 

Sometimes looking at how close your mean or mode average is to your median average can be useful. It all depends why you are measuring your average and what you plan to do with that number. 

BTW - The median is the middle number when all of the numbers are ordered from least to greatest and the mode is the most common number in the set.  

So, in answer to your question I can give you a very definitive response of "It depends".

I think most people use what is called a trimmed mean...  Which is the mean average after outliers are removed. 

I like writing down my approach shot distance to the flag after a safe, in play drive off the tee.  I then subtract those distances from the hole length to determine the drive distance.  This gives me a meaningful average that doesn't include severe mishits or drives into the trees.

It has the added benefit of showing my average approach shot distance into Par 4's, which is my main criteria for tee box selection. This also reveals how many times I had an open GIR attempt as opposed to a punch out or layup.  To me just counting total GIR doesn't tell the whole story.

2 hours ago, birdman03 said:

I like writing down my approach shot distance to the flag after a safe, in play drive off the tee.  I then subtract those distances from the hole length to determine the drive distance.  This gives me a meaningful average that doesn't include severe mishits or drives into the trees.

It has the added benefit of showing my average approach shot distance into Par 4's, which is my main criteria for tee box selection. This also reveals how many times I had an open GIR attempt as opposed to a punch out or layup.  To me just counting total GIR doesn't tell the whole story.

Your drive distance will be off since tees can easily be forward or back of the actual point used to measure a hole.  Also, cherry picking only the “safe” drives skews the data.

• Like 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

13 hours ago, jfrain2004 said:

Look at the performance average. It takes those 5 yard chips out. 

11 hours ago, birdman03 said:

Sorry, I mean no offense but this will not even be close to your actual driving distance. Unless every hole you play is dead straight. Golf holes are not measured "as the crow flies". They are measured “across the ground” using the playing route through the center of the fairway. For example, on a dogleg hole, the measurement is taken from the tee box to the apex of the dogleg. Then from that apex to the center of the green. Every time you cut a corner you are giving yourself a much better driving distance than reality. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I have a hole in my home course that have a 30 yards wide green with a big bunker short of it. 
From the ladies tee it's 265 to the middle of the green. I normally hit 5..6 shots and search for the pitch marks on the green and in the bunker to have and average of my carry distance. Also take note of the wind and temperature to be more precise.

Also, for irons is a good guess to hit a couple of flush shots and estimate that your average is going to be 5/10/15 yards shorter depending on you consistency. 

On 12/8/2023 at 7:20 PM, jfrain2004 said:

In this case it would be better for strategy to keep the 250 average. If you account for a 225 driver and you hit one 260 it could get you in trouble if the hole have a dogleg or you run out of fairway. 

I don’t try to track my average drive. That number doesn’t help me. I know about how far I carry a decently struck driver. That is all I need to know before adjusting for other factors like turf condition, temperature, wind, topography, etc.

Brian Kuehn