IGNORED

Shotscope V5 Watch

15 hours ago, iacas said:

@pganapathy, the briefest amount of research would answer that question for you. For many what the free apps offer is not enough.

Statistics are about more than traditional stats like fairways hit and penalties and number of putts.

Fair enough, I don't really use stats when I play golf.  I suppose for people that are very stats oriented having something which offers more than just fairways hit, penalties, putts taken etc. is useful.  Honestly, I never even look at the basic stats after my round.  I only care about why my hole was good or bad.  So say GIR and two putts is a good hole for me.  3 putt or say not being GIR is a bigger concern but upto a bogey is still OK for a hole.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 hour ago, pganapathy said:

I only care about why my hole was good or bad.

Humans are bad at understanding fractions of shots.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Fair enough, I don't really use stats when I play golf.  I suppose for people that are very stats oriented having something which offers more than just fairways hit, penalties, putts taken etc. is useful.  Honestly, I never even look at the basic stats after my round.  I only care about why my hole was good or bad.  So say GIR and two putts is a good hole for me.  3 putt or say not being GIR is a bigger concern but upto a bogey is still OK for a hole.

I used to be the same way. But once you see the data that you miss the green to the left 18% of the time or short 39% of the time, L/R rought X% of the time, putting stats, it gives a target for your practice IMO. Yeah you can get up and down from a missed green or whatever, but if you have data that you can look at that says, "Hey man you are missing the green to the left" you know you have something solid to work with. Plus all the cool kids have one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

1 hour ago, snapfade said:

Plus all the cool kids have one. 

Man, I haven't been a cool kid in a while. ... Thanks.

BTW - Here's one way that I used it. 

This shows my 2022 vs 2023 stats. This is comparing my game to a 5 HCP. I like to use 5 HCP as my comparison because my goal is to get to single digits. 

2022v2023SG.thumb.jpg.8d2473966a08f6953ffd9442daa6fe3d.jpg

As you can see I was and still am losing shots in all areas of my game to a 5 HCP. But my putting wasn't very good in 2022. When I broke it down even farther it was mostly short putts that were killing me. Under 10 feet, I was losing a ton of shots to a 5 HCP. So I spent a lot of time in the 2022 off-season working on my putting, my speed control and my 3, 6 and 10 footers. That work paid off. In 2023 I was a full three and a half shots better with the flat stick. 

So, what's this year's goal. ... Should be obvious by looking at my strokes gained. ... I'm trying to improve my approach play. 

But that's just the beginning. If I dive deeper into the data I see that I'm losing a little more than 3 of the 4.45 shots to a 5HCP in shots under 150 yards. And those are equally spread between 50-100 yards and 100-150 yards.

Inside 50 and outside 150, I actually get a lot better when comparing myself to a 5HCP. 

So, this off-season I've spent a lot of time working on LW, SW, GW, 9 iron and 8 iron approach play. I "feel" like I've improved in that area. But the data will tell me if that "feel" is real or if it's not. 👍😁👍   .... That's how this cool kid uses it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

32 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Man, I haven't been a cool kid in a while. ... Thanks.

You’re not a cool kid, you’re a belt gatekeeping boomer.

• Funny 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

You’re not a cool kid, you’re a belt gatekeeping boomer.

Well, not to be picking a nit. But I think technically I'm a belt gatekeeping Gen X'er. 

• Funny 1

2 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Well, not to be picking a nit. But I think technically I'm a belt gatekeeping Gen X'er. 

What's a "belt gatekeeper?" Sounds like a character on Game of Thrones. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

BTW @billchao The other thing that's great about Shotscope is you can compare yourself to other TST members. 

For example: Longest Drive. ... 

image.png.3b3e47e3d47077f45989caa9fe35b7a4.png

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

This further reinforces your not cool kid status. All the cool kids know the slang “boomer” isn’t meant literally to be Baby Boomers but simply as a term for people who are out of touch with modern attitudes, like what color belt people should be wearing.

• Funny 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, snapfade said:

What's a "belt gatekeeper?" Sounds like a character on Game of Thrones. 

I have taken it upon myself to police the dinks, dorks, and general goofballs who wear white belts on the golf course. 

Rules of the White Belt: 

1. No white belts for anyone who's waist or age is over 32. 
  2. People who are allowed to wear white belts: Members of the navy, painters, ice-cream vendors, and female pop-stars. 
  3. If you don't fit into one of those categories. Grow up and buy a "real" belt. 

Since this is getting off topic. Remember you can hook your Shot Scope H4 on an adult belt. 

herb.jpg.ea395c72c6a05041d6c34d2b623aa820.jpg

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I have taken it upon myself to police the dinks, dorks, and general goofballs who wear white belts on the golf course. 

Rules of the White Belt: 

1. No white belts for anyone who's waist or age is over 32. 
  2. People who are allowed to wear white belts: Members of the navy, painters, ice-cream vendors, and female pop-stars. 
  3. If you don't fit into one of those categories. Grow up and buy a "real" belt. 

Since this is getting off topic. Remember you can hook your Shot Scope H4 on an adult belt

herb.jpg.ea395c72c6a05041d6c34d2b623aa820.jpg

That's why I got the watch, so I don't need to wear a belt. Sans-a-belt slacks for me. LOL

9 minutes ago, billchao said:

This further reinforces your not cool kid status. All the cool kids know the slang “boomer” isn’t meant literally to be Baby Boomers but simply as a term for people who are out of touch with modern attitudes, like what color belt people should be wearing.

e33ecfd9-af46-4947-80cf-ccbd8d1443d3_text.gif.acf0893ee2f262ac63b04d7c328727c4.gif

31 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

BTW @billchao The other thing that's great about Shotscope is you can compare yourself to other TST members. 

For example: Longest Drive. ... 

image.png.3b3e47e3d47077f45989caa9fe35b7a4.png

How does this work? Is there like a TST Group within Shotscope to join or can you "follow" people to see their stats or what?

My V5 shipped today.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   :titleist: SM9 54/58  
Putter: :tmade: Spider X

49 minutes ago, klineka said:

How does this work? Is there like a TST Group within Shotscope to join or can you "follow" people to see their stats or what?

My V5 shipped today.

You join the Sandtrap Leaderboard. 

There's a button on the leaderboard page to join.

49 minutes ago, klineka said:

My V5 shipped today.

It’s just a leaderboard for some statistical categories. You can’t see other people’s rounds or their stats. TST has a group, I forget if you need a link or something but I can look when I get home.

Bill

My Swing Thread

53 minutes ago, klineka said:

My V5 shipped today.

Instructions are on page 8 of this thread:

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

It’s just a leaderboard for some statistical categories. You can’t see other people’s rounds or their stats. TST has a group, I forget if you need a link or something but I can look when I get home.

See above

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, snapfade said:

I used to be the same way. But once you see the data that you miss the green to the left 18% of the time or short 39% of the time, L/R rought X% of the time, putting stats, it gives a target for your practice IMO. Yeah you can get up and down from a missed green or whatever, but if you have data that you can look at that says, "Hey man you are missing the green to the left" you know you have something solid to work with. Plus all the cool kids have one. 

18 hours ago, iacas said:

Humans are bad at understanding fractions of shots.

I am sure if I ever got into regular practice this might be applicable.  Currently I barely practice and when I do it is at the range just hitting a few shots prior to a round.  Pretty much all my practice comes in casual rounds where I hit a second ball when I play a bad shot.

Should I practice more, DEFINITELY.  Will I practice more.  Essentially when I am retired and have time to play and practice golf 7 days a week.  Sad but true

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator

You can practice in five minutes a day.

But that’s getting off topic, so I’ll leave it at that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets