IGNORED

Cobra 3D Printed Irons

mchepp

I searched around but didn’t see any other threads on this so I’ll put it here. I work in the laser industry and one of the applications has been additive manufacturing. The main market for the past 10 years has been SpaceX and the space industry and some medical applications. The new one I saw this week is 3D printing irons. Cobra and the company that they are using is marketing these irons pretty aggressively. 

In talking with the folks in the booth at the trade show, the claim is that they can gain strength but reduce the weight to put it exactly where they want. The print of the iron is very cool. Mostly everything behind the face is a thin metal lattice and then in the heal and toe is a block of tungsten for weight. 

I am old enough to remember the arguments about forged versus cast irons. I wonder if folks here will pay a bit more to get 3D printed irons.  They have a booth here where you can hit them but I hate lines and the line to do it is always long. I go again tomorrow, and if the line isn’t too long I’ll give it a try and report back.

Edited by iacas
removed all-black images

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 hours ago, mchepp said:

I wonder if folks here will pay a bit more to get 3D printed irons.

That’s going to be a no from me. Why should I pay extra for new technology just because of their R&D cost? I doubt they’re going to be transformative. I’ll stick with the old tech if it’s cheaper.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

That’s going to be a no from me. Why should I pay extra for new technology just because of their R&D cost? I doubt they’re going to be transformative. I’ll stick with the old tech if it’s cheaper.

‘But these go to 11.’ Haha. Too much @ChetlovesMer?

• Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

You don't need to 3D print a blade.

I haven't watched this yet (literally about 30 seconds in), but it's probably interesting:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Okay, that video wasn't great. It's just a mild explanation of gear effect, and they don't even cover it very well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I nice intro.

5 hours ago, billchao said:

I think paying extra is only the beginning because of the supply chain challenges of this. As I mentioned the only market today for 3D metal printing is very high quality metals. Space grade rockets mostly. Once the supply chain gets geared towards making irons I think the price may even come down a little. There is also limitations on how many you can make. The printers themselves cost nearly a million dollars and you could probably make one set per day...maybe a bit more. Maybe 2-3 sets a day, the printing process takes time. Once there are more companies doing it everything might shift a little. 

Michael

8 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I nice intro.

I think paying extra is only the beginning because of the supply chain challenges of this. As I mentioned the only market today for 3D metal printing is very high quality metals. Space grade rockets mostly. Once the supply chain gets geared towards making irons I think the price may even come down a little. There is also limitations on how many you can make. The printers themselves cost nearly a million dollars and you could probably make one set per day...maybe a bit more. Maybe 2-3 sets a day, the printing process takes time. Once there are more companies doing it everything might shift a little. 

I don't see them ever being comparable in price to a typical cast club and I don't think they're going to outperform existing irons due to limitations of the equipment rules and physics. So really a person would be paying a premium for the cool factor alone, or maybe they really don't like the look of cavity backs? Those aren't good enough reasons for me, though I'm sure they are for plenty of people out there.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread