IGNORED

2024 Tour Championship

DavidBedwetter

Does Scotty get it done this time?  Sure looks like it after the first round.  Still, I can't help feeling that this whole Fedex Cup thing is just a different Silly Season for a whole lot of money.  For me, the professional season is over after the last Major is played. If someone besides Scotty or X-man win, would that really make him the best golfer of the year?  No way.  So what's the point?  To be followed by The President's Cup, which is the Ryder Cup's ugly sister.  But maybe I'm just a little cynical.

4 minutes ago, DavidBedwetter said:

Does Scotty get it done this time?  Sure looks like it after the first round.  Still, I can't help feeling that this whole Fedex Cup thing is just a different Silly Season for a whole lot of money.  For me, the professional season is over after the last Major is played. If someone besides Scotty or X-man win, would that really make him the best golfer of the year?  No way.  So what's the point?  To be followed by The President's Cup, which is the Ryder Cup's ugly sister.  But maybe I'm just a little cynical.

I've always thought it would be cool if the Ryder Cup would be 3 teams, The US, Europe and an International Team. I know I'm in the minority there.

As far as the FedEx Cup goes, I don't think of the winner as the best golfer of the year, I just think of it as one more competition that has a specific set of criteria which only 30 golfers get to qualify for. I'll admit I'm not really into the whole starting 10 under thing. I think all of that is weird. I would prefer they just play a regular tournament. But, I know a few people who are into it, so to each his/her own. 

Lastly, yeah, the season feels over to me after the final major, but I like golf so much I'll take what ever they give me. The Fedex Cup is like a little desert after a big meal. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Scottie sure looks tough to beat at the moment.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

21 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I've always thought it would be cool if the Ryder Cup would be 3 teams, The US, Europe and an International Team. I know I'm in the minority there.

As far as the FedEx Cup goes, I don't think of the winner as the best golfer of the year, I just think of it as one more competition that has a specific set of criteria which only 30 golfers get to qualify for. I'll admit I'm not really into the whole starting 10 under thing. I think all of that is weird. I would prefer they just play a regular tournament. But, I know a few people who are into it, so to each his/her own. 

Lastly, yeah, the season feels over to me after the final major, but I like golf so much I'll take what ever they give me. The Fedex Cup is like a little desert after a big meal. 

Put me down with the minority and turn the Ryder Cup into a menage a trois.  It would make a lot more sense than going through the whole rigamarole separately every other year.  Ryder cup started before the ROW could really field a team capable of competing, but now that it's possible (that they can compete, maybe not win) why not make it a truly global event?  Good idea!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'll admit I'm not really into the whole starting 10 under thing. I think all of that is weird. I would prefer they just play a regular tournament.

I remember when the final event of the FedEx cup was a regular tournament.  There were basically two scoreboards, one for that week, and a separate one for the FedEx Cup winner.  Those were pretty weird too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I remember when the final event of the FedEx cup was a regular tournament.  There were basically two scoreboards, one for that week, and a separate one for the FedEx Cup winner.  Those were pretty weird too.

And Steve Sands explaining the possible outcomes like Professor Irwin Corey.

• Funny 1

The competition in itself seems to be heading to an early grave, although engraving the trophy after day one is a fool's errand.

I still enjoyed watching the quality of golf and the course last night (replay). Specifically the greens seem to only hold quality strikes. Others slid off like raindrops off of goretex. Bit of a separation for elite ball strikers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, jxdama said:

A true  playoff would  be the  final 32 in match play

Match play often makes for lousy TV. Players are much closer together than teams in the NFL.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 8/30/2024 at 1:07 PM, GolfLug said:

The competition in itself seems to be heading to an early grave, although engraving the trophy after day one is a fool's errand.

I still enjoyed watching the quality of golf and the course last night (replay). Specifically the greens seem to only hold quality strikes. Others slid off like raindrops off of goretex. Bit of a separation for elite ball strikers.

Don't get me wrong.  I definitely enjoy watching the elite players battle it out.  I just don't buy into the hype.  The fact that Fedex sunk a boatload of money into the outcome doesn't make the tournaments more meaningful.  It's not like it is actually a tour championship.  In any case, should be fun to watch the two horse race today if Morikawa can get something going early. 

• Administrator
40 minutes ago, DavidBedwetter said:

It's not like it is actually a tour championship.

Comments like this make no sense.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

Comments like this make no sense.

Really?  Does the outcome of this tourney determine a PGA Tour champion?  Because that's what the name implies.  If Morikawa should happen to win does that make him the tour champion over Scotty or Xander. I'm just pointing out that the name is kind of pretentious and not really accurate.  I don't understand how that "makes no sense" since you didn't bother to explain.

3 hours ago, DavidBedwetter said:

It's not like it is actually a tour championship. 

I'd say if the PGA Tour says this is their championship, that's what it is.  We may like or dislike the format, but this is the deal the PGA Tour made with FedEx, This IS the Tour Championship

2 hours ago, DavidBedwetter said:

Really?  Does the outcome of this tourney determine a PGA Tour champion?  Because that's what the name implies.

Yeah, the name of the tournament doesn't imply anything, it says clearly that this is the Tour Championship.  

I can't say I'm crazy about the hype, I'm not crazy with the efforts to make the Players Championship into something like a 5th major.  But this is the entertainment business, the hype is present to try to drive up viewership, to get the most eyes for the sponsors.  That's the way it is for all of major televised sports.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, DavidBedwetter said:

Really?  Does the outcome of this tourney determine a PGA Tour champion?  Because that's what the name implies.  If Morikawa should happen to win does that make him the tour champion over Scotty or Xander. I'm just pointing out that the name is kind of pretentious and not really accurate.  I don't understand how that "makes no sense" since you didn't bother to explain.

The name is pretentious? No more so than a first year tournament calling itself the classic. C’mon. It’s the season ending event, and the culmination, and for nearly 20 years now it has had season long ramifications.

There’s no realistic way to define a season over 72 or 90 or 108 holes. Tour players aren’t even sure whether Xander or Scottie had the better season, so even if Adam Scott had won this tournament it’s not like he had the best year despite winning the Tour Championship.

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

The name is pretentious? No more so than a first year tournament calling itself the classic. C’mon. It’s the season ending event, and the culmination, and for nearly 20 years now it has had season long ramifications.

There’s no realistic way to define a season over 72 or 90 or 108 holes. Tour players aren’t even sure whether Xander or Scottie had the better season, so even if Adam Scott had won this tournament it’s not like he had the best year despite winning the Tour Championship.

So the Tour Championship winner isn't really the champion of anything except that particular tournament.  That's pretty much what I was saying.  Okay, Fedex threw a boatload of money at the Tour, so the Tour bent over backwards to accommodate them.  That's business. I understand that.  And if Amazon, for example, wanted to make the Fedex money look like small potatoes and sponsor an event called the Uber-Mega-Championship of the Universe next year, the Tour would be more than happy to put on an even bigger show for them. But would it really mean anything?

15 minutes ago, DavidBedwetter said:

So the Tour Championship winner isn't really the champion of anything except that particular tournament.

Well, if the playoffs didn't graduate only the top 30 and then the starting strokes for this tournament didn't further give the leader the headstart earned throughout the year, I would say yes, you have a point.

• Like 1

Vishal S.