IGNORED

Struggling to Determine Between Slightly Uphill or Slightly Downhill Putts, 60 Years Old.

TapOut64

As the title says, I struggle on the green at times discerning between a slightly uphill putt vs a slightly downhill putt.  I will look at it from one angle and it might look downhill but from the opposite view it might look uphill.  Obviously my 60 year old eyes are the issue but was wondering if anyone has any tips for old guys like me.  I take my time and walk all around the hole, it's just frustrating when for example, from behind the hole it looks downhill and then when I address the ball it looks uphill.  Sitting at a 9.3 index and would like to get it lower by holing more putts, thanks for any tips.

• Administrator

Have you tried using your feet instead of your eyes?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

This^

Even if people do not use Aimpoint step by step, just go stand near the mid point and see what you feel with your feet. You will be surprised what it will tell you. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 9/6/2024 at 11:36 PM, iacas said:

I do this frequently, it works, even though people joke about it and see it as odd when it's an 18 capper doing it.

As mentioned, feet can be a good tell... BUT- also look around the landscape, not just the green surface. The green can appear to be downhill, but that can be an optical illusion. Similar to those "Magic Roads" type of situation. Without taking too much time, you can do what Johnny Miller used to describe how putts will react. Taking in the general landscape, imagine where the water would flow if you poured water on the green. If there are hills to the right, or if there is a valley somewhere water will flow to the lowest point. There are, of course, exceptions- especially at some of the newer 'designer' types of course where they plop artificial mounding or swales around. 

The overall hole should give a good clue as well- an uphill hole, the green would normally slope from back to front, downhill would be front to back. But if you're playing Augusta, forget everything and just take the three putt and run.

For me the best way is to go sideways an see if the perpendicular putt break right or left.

image.png.7835ba63b1c51e92fbf08d124d044281.png

It also works for multiple slope putts, you just need to divide the putt in sections and measure each one. 

image.png.1664be9bedc283610990725051c8b02c.png