IGNORED

Best Budget Golf Ball

Hi,

I am looking for a good all around 2 or 3 piece golf ball at under $20/dz.

My swing speed is over 90 and I hit my 8 iron around 150.

I am a feel player so something not too hard or too soft would be ideal.

Thank you

• Administrator
4 hours ago, NHpro said:

I am looking for a good all around 2 or 3 piece golf ball at under $20/dz.

My swing speed is over 90 and I hit my 8 iron around 150.

I am a feel player so something not too hard or too soft would be ideal.

Under $20 is pretty… inexpensive. I don't know that it really matters a ton at that level.

Even the Snell 2.0 is regularly $24.99 (but you can get it for $19.99). I'd probably go that route, but… I don't know what else is out there. I don't mind the Callaway SuperSoft… 😉 

Urethane for ALL! PRIME 2.0 is our NEW 2-piece urethane cover ball designed for low to mid-swing speed players. Our latest high-speed core helps players get the needed spin and higher trajectory for a longer...
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Taylormade Speedsoft can often be found on sale for $20. They are usually $25 though. I was gifted some once and they seemed okay. They come in some fun Ink colors if that's your jam. 

If you raise your budget to $25, I think you have options for some pretty descent golf balls. At $20, I'm guessing you might be relegated to reloads or recycled golf balls. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Taylormade Speedsoft can often be found on sale for $20. They are usually $25 though. I was gifted some once and they seemed okay. They come in some fun Ink colors if that's your jam. 

If you raise your budget to $25, I think you have options for some pretty descent golf balls. At $20, I'm guessing you might be relegated to reloads or recycled golf balls. 

I do like Taylormade, but the Speedsoft compression is too low for me.

I prefer compression around 75-80

33 minutes ago, elementz said:

K-Sig

Great recommendation, but the compression of these golf balls are too high for my liking.

Edited by NHpro

2 hours ago, NHpro said:

lol.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, colin007 said:

Do they still make the Top Flite Gamer?

Yes, but the current model (2024) is not the same.

I have been playing Top-flite golf balls ever since Callaway owned and redesigned the ball.

It was a great ball for the budget minded.

Dick's now owns the brand and they have cheapened and ruined it.

• Administrator

I think you’re gonna be way better off expanding your budget up to 25 to even $27 per dozen.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think you’re gonna be way better off expanding your budget up to 25 to even $27 per dozen.

I'm happy with cheaper golf balls if they have the right feel.

What about the Maxfli Straightfli? Supposedly an 80 compression golf ball and at $19.99/dz.

Has anyone tried them out yet?

Maxfli Straightfli Golf Balls product image

Currently I changed to Callaway warbird, cheap and hard compression golf ball.
For your desired compression I liked the Srixon Soft Feel, also cheap and a better feel off chips and putts.  

Also I use Noodle golf balls for practice purposes (sim and practice rounds), they are soft and are pretty decent for the low price.

7 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

Currently I changed to Callaway warbird, cheap and hard compression golf ball.
For your desired compression I liked the Srixon Soft Feel, also cheap and a better feel off chips and putts.  

Also I use Noodle golf balls for practice purposes (sim and practice rounds), they are soft and are pretty decent for the low price.

Yes, Srixon is a good $22.99/dz golf ball, but at 60 compression.

Worth a try.

I have some in my "found" bucket.

I may be bias here cause I had such a great game with this ball today. I found a Titleist DT Trusoft a while back and decided to play it today.
It was exploding off the face of the driver giving me tons of distance, control from the driver felt great too. I was also getting a bunch of distance off of my irons from it, had to club down most of the time. Again control was great. It felt like it was lacking a bit in spin off the irons and wedges and putted nicely. Overall I was impressed. I think it's a discontinued ball but I came home and looked them up and found that you can still get them for about $20 or so a dozen.

Edited by retoid

Novice golfer seeking to learn and improve.

13 hours ago, retoid said:

I may be bias here cause I had such a great game with this ball today. I found a Titleist DT Trusoft a while back and decided to play it today.
It was exploding off the face of the driver giving me tons of distance, control from the driver felt great too. I was also getting a bunch of distance off of my irons from it, had to club down most of the time. Again control was great. It felt like it was lacking a bit in spin off the irons and wedges and putted nicely. Overall I was impressed. I think it's a discontinued ball but I came home and looked them up and found that you can still get them for about $20 or so a dozen.

The replacement for the Trusoft is the Trufeel.

A bit pricey for me.

Titleist 2024 TruFeel Golf Balls product image

• Administrator

In golf balls, it's not linear, but you get what you pay for.

23 hours ago, NHpro said:

Hmmm... Seems like this should be a pretty easy exercise.

There are about a million online charts that show golf ball compression numbers for pretty much every golf ball. My suggestion is grab one of those charts, cross out all the golf balls that are not between 75 and 80 compression and then cross out all the ones that are over 20 bucks. ... TADA! 

Let us know which ball you settle on. I haven't done the above exercise but I'm willing to bet there aren't a large number of balls that will be left on the list. 👍😁👍

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.