IGNORED

17th as First Playoff Hole: Joke or Just Fine?

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 5780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. Is playing the 17th at Sawgrass first in a sudden-death playoff a joke or just fine?

• Joke
    • Just Fine

• Administrator
I think playing the 17th was a joke. This thing wants to be a major and yet they push a gimmicky hole out there as the first playoff hole? Joke.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i agree, i think they should play a tough but FAIR hole such as 18, then in case of a tie go to 16, then last case scenario if they tie on 18 asnd 16 take em to 17. the 17th is NOT a fair hole...u can hit a well struck shot and land it in the center of the green and it releases back into the water, such as charles howell III did..even Tim Rosaforte said its crap
-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------
Driver --Titleist 907D2 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
F.W. --Titleist 906F4 15.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blueboard
Irons --Mizuno MP-57 - Project X 6.0Wedges --Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold X100Putter --Cameron...

I think it's fine because it's not a major. Yes, they have a great field but so does the season opening event in Hawaii, where only tournament winners, play. (I forget the name)

I believe calling itself the fifth major is a joke. Starting on 17th and putting the pressure on the player, immediately, is what the average Joe like me, wants to see.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

I think it's fine because it's not a major. Yes, they have a great field but so does the season opening event in Hawaii, where only tournament winners, play. (I forget the name)

the mercedes championship?

-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------
Irons --Mizuno MP-57 - Project X 6.0Wedges --Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold X100Putter --Cameron...

the mercedes championship?

That might be the one. It's the one where the entire field won a PGA Event the previous season. I believe that's a great field, tough course (especially when the wind is blowing), some unbelievable finishes and a nice, large check.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Β 

Ball-White and Round

Β 

I think it was set up for excitement, and I loved the choice of the 17th hole.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I think it was great, the guys playing had grown out of their "Geraminals" matching pajamas for quite some time.

I thought it was a great playoff hole.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Joke. When they went to the playoff, I was just hoping that the entire tournament wouldn't be decided by one of them hitting a b.s. shot into the water - and of course it was.

Sergio hit a tremendous shot, but still two-putted and made par. On a fair par 3, Goydos would have had a legitimate chance to get up and down and extend the playoff. Instead, a guy that could really use the extra $700k, 5 year exemption, etc. hit a decent shot and got screwed because of a cheap gimmick.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5Β° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15Β° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19Β° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23Β° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

I think playing the 17th was a joke. This thing wants to be a major and yet they push a gimmicky hole out there as the first playoff hole? Joke.

I would have to agree with that assessment.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5ΒΊ Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

That might be the one. It's the one where the entire field won a PGA Event the previous season. I believe that's a great field, tough course (especially when the wind is blowing), some unbelievable finishes and a nice, large check.

yeah its the first tournament of the yr in hawa'ii. tiger or phil dont play it though

i guess it is a hassle going all the way out there. do u remeber the 2000 playing where Tiger and Ernie went into a playoff. that was a classic!
-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------

Joke. No par 3 - let alone the 17th at Sawgrass - should ever be a sudden-death playoff.

On a par 4 or longer hole you make multiple shots to get to a green and can try to salvage if you've screwed up. On a par 3 however you have one shot, and even if you hit it perfectly, you're SOL if the wind catches it and knocks it sideways.

Too much luck involved.

(I think a good playoff is like the US Open, where 18 holes are played. It's the fairest method possible.)
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I think 17 is a good classic hole for a playoff hole but gosh with those conditions they should've went back to 18.

Whats in my bag
Driver: 983K 8.5*
Fairway Wood: 906F2 15.0
Hybrid:585H 19*
Irons 690 CB and MB. CB 3-5 MB 6-PWWedges: Vokey Tour Chrome 54 58 Putter: Bettinardi C-04 Ball: Pro V1X

I think 17 is a good classic hole for a playoff hole but gosh with those conditions they should've went back to 18.

the conditions were worse on 18. it played at a 4.87 stroke average while 17 played at 3.3

-WITB- USGA Index - 1.5
------------------------

I was fine with it. The 17th is the signature hole, one of the most recognizable golf holes in the world, why wouldn't the organizers want to make it a pivotal or deciding factor in the playoff? Say both guys par it and the playoff is won on another hole -- it's a non issue. Goydos couldn't negotiate it, Garcia did, match over. You still got to hit golf shots, what difference does it make which hole it is?

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I think its just fine, but thats just considering that its one of the toughest holes and thats the hole that the course is known for.

BUT... i think it would have been "fairer" i guess you could say to play 18 or even 16. when goydos hit it in the water, it was pretty much over, unless serg went in the water too.

a par 4 or par 5 gives the player a chance to bounce back on a hole or make up a shot to make it a better playoff hole.

but i have to say, watching a playoff hole on the 17th is exciting stuff. im okay with it.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I am going with joke and I think that Goydos' said it perfectly after the hole was finished. He said "I hit the PW and it was short but I hit the 9 I would have been in the water on the other side."

In The Bag:
Driver: Big Bertha 460
3 & 5 Wood: F50.
Irons: 855S Silver Scot 3-SW.
Wedge: S2H2 60*Putter Anser 2i

Joke. I think I overhead Tiger in an interview saying that he tought the hole was too gimicky to even be on the back 9 of a important tourament such as the players, and I couldnt agree with him more. That playoff wasnt golf. They should have just replayed 18. I think it would have made for even more drama with the shot descisons they would have had to make rather than taking some shot in teh dark on 17.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I feel sudden death playoffs are more interesting - and probably more fair - on risk/reward holes, like a medium length par-5 with trouble for the second shot if one goes for the green in two, or a drivable par-4. Something where a random gust of wind can pop up and even stop you from making a par save (short of holing out from the drop zone)?

I feel it's a joke.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note:Β This thread is 5780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!