IGNORED

How Far Do You Drive?

bogeyhitter25
Note: This thread is 4749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Consistently over 300yds is a long way. To average that, you have to be hitting it past 300 on a regular basis to compensate for the miss hit that still goes 280-290yds....

I have no doubt that there are the occasional 300yd knockers here though. I hit the occasional "missle-ball" myself. I would say on average though I hit it around 275-280 yds off the box. I wish I could manage to turn that 280yds into a straighter shot that always hits a fairway. Sometimes it's 280yds right into some trees...
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

in reality i dont know, its over 300 for sure

how much do those rangefinder chappies cost - would be interesting - would be even more interesting to measure the old boys drives !

k

on average, ~275-280... now if i can only get it to go straight instead of pushing it right into the trees so often...
In My X-87 Bag:

Driver: 907 D2 10.5° (YS-6+ R)
3-Wood: 906 F2 (YS-6+ S)
Hybrid: 585H 19° (YS-6+ S)Irons: 735.CM 4-PW (DG R300)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM.56°, SM.60°Putter: Circa '62 #2

MY TRUTH
Ok, i'm going add some "proofs" to my post so people don't start razzing me about my driving. On average, I drive the ball consistently between 275-290 yards. I've played about 6 times so far this year and four of the courses had the GPS in the car so i've tracked it using that and it's been pretty consistent. Now with that being said, as this will be my proof (along with the 2 people I was playing with), playing from the middle of the White Tee box, I drove the following two holes:

St. Andrews, West Chicago, IL - Hole 1
http://www.standrewsgc.com/courses_l...holebyhole.asp

St. Andrews, West Chicago, IL - Hole 12
http://www.standrewsgc.com/courses_l...yhole.asp?h=12

These are holes I drove. Now im not saying I drove every ball perfectly, but my worst drive was a 242 yard slice to the right (again, tracked it using the GPS). I've gotten into a habit of righting down my driving yardage and putting strokes as I play to track my progress. If anyone was wondering, i'm 6'2" and roughly 200 pounds and work out regularly.

Now, I understand the skeptics out there who randish people outlight liars for posting their drives, but dont mix me up with those people. I can understand where people become skeptics because there are people out there who may believe they can drive it that far. My cousin claims he hit a hybrid 300 yards and I honestly just smiled and said, i'll believe it when i see it. By sheer physics alone, the his hybrid cannot in any way shape or form go that far. I say it politely.

PEOPLE'S MISCONCEPTION
I think where alot of people's misconception about their own abilities comes from the ability of a freak drive or that one time they made solid contact and actually drove a ball "X" amount of yards. What occurs next is people start going off saying they can drive the ball that far, and when it comes to the course and they're in front of you, they can't. Then they start off saying what the hell is going on today, i cant keep it straight for the life of me, etc etc etc. I don't think it's fair for anyone to sit here and call people out.

Listen here...golf is a hard enough game as it stands today, and if someone chooses to claim something, I say let them claim it because it may give them the confidence needed just to head out and play. There's no need to turn anyone off.

For everyone out there who has driven it near or above 300 yards, regardless if it was once or more than once, good for you!!! Practice more and it will get consistent for you, and dont be discouraged by anyone calling you out. For those calling out people, just leave them be. Worry about your own game, i'll worry about mine, and others will worry about theirs.

With that being said, I hope more people keep on playing and pursuing this sick addiction we call golf

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

Well said sir
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

To hit over 300 consistently is quite a feat, especially to get it on the fairway! I do believe that averaging and consistently hitting upper 200s(250-290) is not that far-fetched with some decent lessons and form, combine that with the technology in todays drivers and quite a few ppl should be able to hit the upper 200s. Drivers today are soooo forgiving and easy to hit imo.

Driver: Big Bertha 460 10*
Fairway: X Tour 3W 15* w/ Fujikura TP 26.3g
Hybrids: Fusion FT-Hybrid 3H 20*
Irons: MP-32 3i-PW
Wedges: Vokey 52.08 | SM56.14 | SM60.04Putter: Red X 33"Ball: Pro V1xShoes: Air Zoom Elite

I think my best drive ever was 286 yards, I average about 235. Even though I forsee that number increasing, I picked up a new Nike Sasquatch Sumo and it's hitting real nice. I'm not sure how much validity I'm going lend to the whole MOI thing, but hey, marketing is marketing..

Dave

On average I'm in the upper 200's, lower 300's. If I don't really catch it, its about 270-290, but if I catch it flush the farthest I've gotten is ~330. (That's my farthest ever) But, on AVERAGE, I'd say 290-300. On estimation alone...I'd guess my carry at 250-270? I don't really know..I usually don't have a problem carrying obstacles in the 250 yard range.

Now if I could just improve my shortgame and putting.....

In my Grom Stand Bag:

Driver: Launcher 400
Hybrid: Idea a30s Boxer 2i
Irons: MP-60's 4-PWWedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 56.12Wedge: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 60.4Putter: I-Series Anser 4Ball: Prov1

On average I'm in the upper 200's, lower 300's. If I don't really catch it, its about 270-290, but if I catch it flush the farthest I've gotten is ~330. (That's my farthest ever) But, on AVERAGE, I'd say 290-300. On estimation alone...I'd guess my carry at 250-270? I don't really know..I usually don't have a problem carrying obstacles in the 250 yard range.

lol, everyone who claims to hit the ball a long way also feels the need too add that little quote as they fear getting abuse, and no matter what everyone says, I still do not believe 90% of posters are telling the truth about their distances.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

so how much are these rangefinder things that tell the truth!

i am quite interested in buying one, as golf carts are not exactly the norm in scotland.

300 yards avg is a given but i would like to know the actual distance.

i find it quite funny to read, people saying that i average 280 yards but to average 300 yards is not realistic etc etc esp bearing in mind on the tour many players average over 300yards

there is always someone who hits it further as i found out earlier this year! although i am training to knock it past him next time we meet!

the question in these threads should really be, how far do you drive? no answers above 290 thanks!

k

14, and usually about 215-220. I'm finding it hard to believe the 13 y/o that said he hits 250, but you never know.
âI'm glad I brought this course, this monster, to its knees.â

• 2 years later...

I'm a 67-year old man who began my golfing at age 52 and who has slowly slipped from my once-best 17.6 to about a 25 handicap.  , I'm right-handed, have been using a 10½〬Taylor-Made Burner with an "R" shaft, teeing the ball up around 2", and driving off my left foot.  I average around 170 yd., and have been thinking that maybe one degree less would give me some more yardage, even though it would lower my trajectory.  Does anyone have any advice?

Furthest Ever??

I once drove the fringe on a 405yd Par 4. The fairway goes up and down over a big hill. I must've caught a spot of hardpack/rock or something on the backside of the hill and got some crazy roll because I couldnt see it once it went over the hill. Just saw a ball in the fringe and thought to myself  "huh????"

250yds on average for me. I just ordered a 10* to replace my 11* so hopefully ill add a few yards that way and lose less yardage on spin/hieght.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

Farthest drive i ever hit, it happened on back to back holes.

Firestone North, Akron Ohio, i won a blind auction to play there. Holes 15 & 16. 15 is a slight dogleg to the right that bend up the hill. So i decided to go over the edge, well i pushed it slightly, but caught every bit of the ball. It was 3 yards behind the hole, some 30 feet above the green.

The next hole, i tatooed the ball 340 in the air, i actually lost half a foot because it was wet, so the ball bounced out of its ball mark in the fairway. The best fealing on my drive i ever had, i felt the slight hit of a golf ball then nothing, the ball was launched.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fred

I'm a 67-year old man who began my golfing at age 52 and who has slowly slipped from my once-best 17.6 to about a 25 handicap.  , I'm right-handed, have been using a 10½〬Taylor-Made Burner with an "R" shaft, teeing the ball up around 2", and driving off my left foot.  I average around 170 yd., and have been thinking that maybe one degree less would give me some more yardage, even though it would lower my trajectory.  Does anyone have any advice?

Welcome, Fred! This question is better suited for a different thread, so I suggest starting a new one and asking, but generally, reducing loft on the driver to gain distance isn't always the best thing; in fact, data shows that actually increasing driver loft can lead to longer, straighter drives. As it turns out, most amateurs can benefit from playing a driver with a lot of loft on it, like 11, 12, 13, or more degrees.

My longest drive ever was somewhere between 280 and 290. I did my best to measure it on Google Earth and was pretty astounded when I saw how far it actually traveled. My average drive though is only about 200 yards.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!