IGNORED

Baseball and Golf

rookie27
Note: This thread is 5822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've played baseball since I was 3 years old. I'm 18 now and because of an arm injury done playing baseball for good. I want to start playing golf this summer. A friend of mine told me that becasue I played baseball so long it ruined any chance of me having a good golf swing. I think my friend is an idiot and think what he says makes no sense. Because all of you guys know way more than I do, do you see any connection between a baseball swing and golf swing, cause I don't?

Most pro ball players are also good golfers. Atheletic, able to transfer weight in a swing where timing is crucial. I think hockey players have a harder time changing their swing.

Driver: 400 SZ
Irons: Maltby custom fit KE4's
Sandwedge: Maltby Slider
Others: random selection

He's not an idiot.

Baseball and golf dont mix if you're playing both seriously at the same time. Just because you played baseball most your life doesnt mean you wont ever have a good golf swing. I tried to play both at the same time in highschool and can say that yeah that's not a good idea, but what your friend said makes no sense.

905R 10.5º UST V2
980f 15º Aldila NV
585h 19º Aldila NV
AP2 3-PW DG S-300
Vokey 52º~58ºSM DG Wedge FlexBlack 9iSG4

I want to start playing golf this summer.

You are right. Your friend is an idiot and he makes no sense. The mechanics of a golf swing are almost identical to that of a baseball swing. The similarities are:

1) Wait transfer from back foot, clearing of hips and staying behind the ball. 2) Like a baseball swing, you're swinging down on the ball and through. By hitting the bottom of the ball, you're generating backspin, which creates higher flight and more distance. Also, like baseball, as you're going through the ball, you're turning your wrists over and finishing with a high swing. 3) The grips are similar, in terms of the amount of pressure you apply. You don't grip a bat to death. You don't grip a golf club to death, either. You control it in your fingers, just like you do a baseball bat. 4) The power comes from the same area: Your legs. Also, the smoother you swing a baseball bat, the more bat speed you generate. Same in golf. 5) Lastly, all great baseball hitters tuck their back elbow close to the body and generate what we call the "corkscrew" approach. Same in golf. Keep that back elbow close and let it get through the hitting zone/golf ball. The transition should be easier for you. If you have a sound, baseball swing with good mechanics, you should be fine. PS-One last point. I'm sure your coach or batting coach has told you that the knob of the bat gets pointed towards either the pitcher or his release point. This helps you get the barrel of the bat through the hitting zone and right at the target. Golf is the same way. The top hand/lead hand points directly toward the target and you hold it through as long as possible.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I played ball seriously as a kid up untill I tore my rotator cuff in my throwing arm. Golf came pretty natural for me, as I think it will for you.

Driver - SQ SUMO2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood - SQ SUMO2 15* stiff
Hybrid SQ SUMO2 20* stiff
Irons - CCi steel stiff
Wedge - 56*Wedge - Knight 60*Putter - ITraxBall - platinum+Black but soon to be switching to pr0v1 SG 2.5

the only issue I had when I 1st took up playing Golf was the grip, being used to the baseball grip I naturally thought that gripping a golf club would be the exact same way, but it's not, it took a while for me to get used to the inter lock grip that I use....that's it

A friend of mine told me that becasue I played baseball so long it ruined any chance of me having a good golf swing.

It's a good thing no one told that to Rick Rhoden or Michael Jordan. They have both played baseball in the MLB and are both accomplished golfers.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Baseball and golf dont mix if you're playing both seriously at the same time. Just because you played baseball most your life doesnt mean you wont ever have a good golf swing. I tried to play both at the same time in highschool and can say that yeah that's not a good idea, but what your friend said makes no sense.

Yeh i was playing both baseball and golf at the same time last year and i was about a 20 handicap, this summer im looking at getting down to an 8, i can honestly say quitting baseball was the best thing i ever did for my golf game. (largely because i have more time to hit the course :)) but also because i dont pick up bah habits from my baseball swing.

Your friend is wrong however that you wont ever have a good golf swing, playing baseball and golf at the same time is the problem, which you are not going to do. If anything the hand eye co-ordination will help and as others have said the weight transfer will too.

• Administrator
It's a good thing no one told that to Rick Rhoden or Michael Jordan. They have both played baseball in the MLB and are both accomplished golfers.

Jordan never made it to the majors. There are a lot, lot, LOT of baseball players who played (and were successful) in the majors who are scratch golfers or low single digits.

A hockey swing isn't much like a golf swing (I play both), but there are a LOT of good hockey players who are also great golfers, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here is a 2007 link of the best handicaps among professional athletes. There are many baseball and hockey players on the list. Not that getting a good golf swing would be easy for a baseball player, but it obviously can be done.

Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. Thats why such a great and accomplished athlete like Michael Jordan only hit .202 in the minor leagues for the Chicago White Sox double-A team.

I played baseball for 18 years, and as another mentioned, I also started golf with a baseball grip. Start with an interlock or overlap grip and you'll be on your way. I also agree that they don't mix, but if you're done with baseball there's no reason you can't become a great golfer, I've become pretty decent in 3 years and I absolutely love the game and the challenge. Look at it this way, hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things to do, but in golf the ball is just sitting there!

the only issue I had when I 1st took up playing Golf was the grip, being used to the baseball grip I naturally thought that gripping a golf club would be the exact same way, but it's not, it took a while for me to get used to the inter lock grip that I use....that's it

I am 21 and played baseball throughout my childhood. I started playing golf when i was 13 or so. Being used to baseball, I adopted a baseball grip for golf as well. I got used to it. My coach and a friend's dad who as won on some local tours tried to get me to convert to an interlock grip, but it felt uncomfortable. I never did convert all the way. And right now, I still use a baseball grip, and I feel my long game is almost as good as anyone's.

Moral of the story, don't be scared to tinker until you find something that works. Also to the point of the thread. I still play both golf and softball competitively. I feel as long as I keep the different mechanics straight in my head, I do fine. In saying this, I do feel if I devoted my time to just one sport, i would do much better, but i would also get burned out a bit easier.

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

Hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. Thats why such a great and accomplished athlete like Michael Jordan only hit .202 in the minor leagues for the Chicago White Sox double-A team.

I know a lot of major league players that say hitting a fastball is easier than hitting a golf ball.

Now, hitting a curbve that breaks 4 feet, that's something SPECIAL!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

...Because all of you guys know way more than I do, do you see any connection between a baseball swing and golf swing, cause I don't?

Yeah - both sports include HITTING A BALL WITH A CLUB

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I've played baseball since I was 3 years old. I'm 18 now and because of an arm injury done playing baseball for good. I want to start playing golf this summer. A friend of mine told me that becasue I played baseball so long it ruined any chance of me having a good golf swing. I think my friend is an idiot and think what he says makes no sense. Because all of you guys know way more than I do, do you see any connection between a baseball swing and golf swing, cause I don't?

He is absolutley false. I played baseball through college and didnt pick up the game until i was 24 and i play reletivley well. The are simlarities that helped me some but the biggest assest you will bring from baseball to golf is that you have great hand-eye coordination. Something alot of people who have never played ball dont have in the refinement that people who have played, IMO. You will pick up the game quickly. If you where an infielder, the relese in a golf swing feels very similar to the side arm shot from SS or second base. Keep your legs under your shoulders and turn through. It feels that way to me, anyway.

The turn back is very similar, but you dont want to hang out and turn on your back foot like you do in the box. That will be the biggest adjustment.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!