IGNORED

Going through Putters

iacas
Note: This thread is 5897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What is your approximate "Putter to Years" ratio? (see note in first comment)

• 5:1
    • 2:1
    • 1:1
    • 1:2
    • 1:5
    • 1:10

I have 2 TP Mills blade putters that are very sweet when my game is on. I sometimes struggle with distance control, however, as they roll much differently if you miss the sweet spot. I picked up a Futura Phantom, which is very consistent for me on distance, but just doesn't have the feel that you get when you properly strike a ball with forged putter.

I would probably sacrifice the feel of the forged blade for the consistency of the Phantom if I could only figure out how to properly ground the Phantom.

The Phantom has the floating toe, which causes me to change the resting position of this club. Should the heel be down and the toe up? Should the toe be pressed down? I am not sure how one should ground this type of putter. I read the review here, and tried to contact Titleist, but still don't have an answer. Hopefully, my question is clear and not too dumb, and somebody has an answer. Thanks for any input.

Chuck

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a strong believer that you stick with a putter until it falls apart. Look at Mr Woods. Used the same putter for countless number of years. Although i do believe that if you really are having a bad time putting then a new putter is the way forward. I am lucky as i have never struggled with my putting that bad to bend it over my knee.
Golf is a game whose aim is to hit a very small ball into an even smaller hole, with weapons singularly ill-designed for the purpose.
Winston Churchill

Taylor Made r7 425
Taylor Made V steel 3woodCleveland Halo 2hybridCallaway Big Bertha 4-9Taylor Made 48 & 56Taylor Made Tp 52Odyssey XG 2ball...

Im a strong believer that you stick with a putter until it falls apart. Look at Mr Woods. Used the same putter for countless number of years. Although i do believe that if you really are having a bad time putting then a new putter is the way forward. I am lucky as i have never struggled with my putting that bad to bend it over my knee.

Popey, I may be wrong, but I don't believe it bends . . .

So, I have a funny story about getting clubs, and the putters are just a part of it.

When I first went to play (Nov 05) for-real, I used my grandfather's old clubs (1970s era clubs). I played a par-3s only course, and kept at those and executive courses for a while. As such, I decided to buy a set of irons (rather than a new driver). I could tell more of the story - is there a thread for "how did you put together your first set of clubs?" - but the short story is I kept his putter for a while. It was a Dunlop Andrews: a mallet style putter.

Eventually, I got fed up with this and took mom's old putter; she hasn't played since she was in her 30s, other than to come with me to the range a few times. Hers was a blade-style "Patty Berg" Wilson putter, and I loved that. I started putting really well (for me)... almost always two-putting or better once I was on a green. Of course, most of this time, I was playing small courses, so the greens weren't large either.

In November, the golf store near me had a "Tent sale" and I bought a used driver, 3W, hybrid, and putter. Due to their money-back guarantee, I've sinced returned all except the putter, using the credit for other clubs (such as "same club regular flex shaft instead" for all three, degree change in some).

The putter, a Ping Anser, is sticking with me for a while. I've contemplated getting a Scotty Cameron putter at some point, but I figure I need to be putting well to warrant such a purchase, and then I'd be betraying the putter that got me there.

So, 3 putters in a year, technically, but I won't be switching again for a while.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...
1:3

I have a few putters right now that I have been fooling around with:

SeeMore Brass Blade FGP (I bought it after ZJ won the masters with it..)
Never Compromise Z/I Alpha 2
Bobby Grace M5K center shaft

I love all of these putters, but the one I like best is the MacGregor/Bobby Grace, the head is aluminum with a copper insert on the face, it just feels so solid and I make a lot of putts with it

In 35 years of playing golf I've played exactly 3 putters:

1st Putter - Northwestern Model 3500, used from about 1972 through 1988.
2nd Putter - Slotline Inertial, used from 1988 through 2006.
Current Putter - Inazone B3 2-ball Blade, this is a putter I built this past winter.

I actually built 5 different putters this year and putted with them during the winter to decide which one(s) I liked and hit the best. Of the five putters, I like two of them and will keep them. One I sold, another I gave away and the last one I may keep or sell.

So my ratio is pretty close to 1:10.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

I have been playing for about 15 years, and am on my second putter. My first was a beginner putter my Dad bought for me when I started. About 10 years ago I bought a TaylorMade Nubbins putter that I love, expecially the look of it. I have used it since, and don't think I will get another putter anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Let's see. . . .

Been playing for around 30 years. I don't remember the putters I used up until my mid teens, so we won't count those. So we'll start with:

Acushnet bullseye (19 years--still have it)
taylormade rossa lambeau 7 (2 weeks)
byron dalehead (1 month)
another taylormade lambeau 7 (2 weeks)
ping pal 4 (6 months)
taylormade rossa lambeau sport (1 month)
cleveland '06 calamity jane (1 month)
otey crisman blade (1 week--still have it, tho)
byron x-11 (6 months)
rife mr. beasley (current putter, 1 month)

average it out, and it's 1 putter every 2 years. some overlap.

if you don't count the first 19 years, it's 1.3 putters per month.

but i'm tired of switching putters, trying to find one that suits me. I think I'll just adjust to this rife putter. it seems willing to work with me.

i voted 1:1 even tho its been about 6 years w/ 5 putters...
the first was a hand-me-down putt-putt putter
the second was an odyssey 2-ball that i got for christmas 4 years ago
third was a ping i cant remember which one, got it at the begining of my sophomore year, but my friend snapped it
fourth one i've had for about 2 years now, Ping Zing
fifth putter i just bought about 2 weeks ago Scotty Newport Detour and i have a feeling ill be sticking w/ this putter for a while

In My Bag
Driver: TaylorMade R11 9*

3-Wood: Ping Anser 14.5*
Hybrid: TaylorMade Superfast Burner 18*
Irons: Ping i20 PW - 4

Wedges: Ping Tour Pro Rusty 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Ping Anser

Balls: Titleist Pro-V1s

Sunglasses: Oakley Flak Jacket (golf specific)

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Course: Alliance Country Club

I am a complete putter *****. I have 5 in rotation right now, and probably 30 total. The problem is that I'll mess around with a putter at a shop and not be able to miss with it. However, sinking 8 footers on carpet is not the same as using a putter in real life. Like the two-ball. Couldn't miss with it at the store. Can't play with it on the course. I'm great with a belly putter, but can't use it off the green, where I use a putter often. One of my favorites is the first putter I bought with my own money, an old Tiger Shark with a big brass head. When you hit it on the sweet spot, you don't even feel the ball. But on faster greens I burn a lot of holes.
I had a Dynacraft mallet head that I played my best golf with. It had a titanium plate for a face with an air space between the face and the rest of the putter body. I whacked the ball out from under some trees with it once and put a big curve in the face. Man, I miss that putter.

I just bought a Zebra mallet off ebay as a tribute to my grandma, who played with one Zebra for as long as I can remember. She can't play anymore, so I'm going to try that one to see how I do. My aunt stole her putter before I could lay my grimy hands on it.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

1st putter was a dunlop piece of junk which i wrecked by hitting balls at the range with it. 2nd putter was an odyssey dual force. 3rd was an odyssey white hot xg #7 then the #9 and now im playing a ping anser redwood. this was all over about 5 years.

driver: Burner TP 9.5 S
FWY Wood: 906F2 15.5*
hybrid: Idea Pro 18*
irons: MP-57 3-W
Wedges: X-Forged 56, 60 Putter: Anser Redwood Putter Black Series i #9

• 1 month later...
I've used the same putter for the last 4 years, even though this is my first real year playing, as in I play regularly. Im not sure yet if I want to invest in something else. I used my friends Scotty last week, and had no feel for it at all, I use an old Dead Center SP 209, or 203 not entirly sure, but it's got some years on it.

In the bag:
Driver: r7 quad v2 stiff
3-Wood: XLS
Hybrid: X
Irons: CG Golds 3-GWSW: x forged 56/13LW: Vokey sm 60/.08Putter: Callie 35''Ball: pro v1

10 years, 4 putters, roughly 1:2
14-18 some other mid-level blade
18-20 Copperhead
20-21 Ping Craz-E... I hated the lack of control I had with it
21-22 Back to the Copperhead

that Copperhead has a knick in the face real close to the sweet spot along with other scrapes since copper is so soft. So I'm looking for a simple blade with a milled face, not too expensive, probably used from eBay. I'm thinking the Cleveland Classic I or II series. I plan to keep this one for a while.

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

I'm in a definate putter dillema myself... I have a straight back straight through putting style and Ive been having issue with my heel shafted Cameron. I love the weight and feel but I just putt better with a center shafted gamer. I'm in a pickle.. do I just go out and find a new center shafted putter or do I risk sending my stick out to Tom Slighter and have him tinker with it. Now I know there will a lot of cameron purists who will go crazy over that thought but I'm not really interested in that crap and just want to make more putts. I'm a wicked technology/club junky... I'm currently looking at the SeeMore M1 on ebay, looking for some steals.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Played an Odyssey Rossie II mallet from 1997 until Xmas 2006. Now in second year of Odyssey White Hot XG Two Ball. Don't expect to take it out of the bag for a long time.

I took the Rossie out because I had bought it used and it was never quite long enough, and after nine years using it, it was pretty banged up.

Putting is the central focus of my practice now as its what keeps me from posting low 80s scores. But I recognize it ain't the club its the club-holder.

Heaven is 630 a.m. Saturday morning, 65 crisp degrees headed toward a comfortable 80, first tee (elevated, of course) . . . and not another worry in the world.

Driver: r7 quad/10.5 degree, stiff shaft
3W: Steelhead III, stiff shaft
7W: r5, stiff shaftIrons (2-SW): ISI K/Black dot, stiff shaft,...

• 1 month later...
My first putter which I purchased back in December of 2006, was an Odyssey 3 ball. I got that because that's what my uncle had, and it was the only putter I had tried. I pretty quickly (3 months) figured out that I hated it with a passion. I then splurged and got a Scotty Newport Studio 2 and love it. That being said putting is not the strongest part of my game. I shot a 74 the other day and had 34 putts. I missed 10 out of 11 birdie putts in that round, which was pretty discouraging. I have just purchased a Seemore FGP putter (for $70 off of Golfsmith) as the alignment aid intrigues me. So I'll report on that in a few weeks when I've given it a chance.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

2 putters in 11 years. And one was my dads old putter he used in the 70's. The first was a pathetic heel-toe weighted balde, and I took over 40 putts per round with it. Now that I'm using an old school Bullseye, i got my putts down to about 36 per round.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
904F 15* Graphite Design YS-6+
NVG2 UT 17* Fujikura Triple Action
755 3-PW Trispec steel
52/08, 58/08 rac TP Wicked putter (model 1)

My ratio is about 1:8

My father bought me my first putter when I was a teen. I'm pretty sure it was a Macgregor cheapie, couldn't have cost more than $20. I used it until 3 years ago when I think the glue just dried out and the head fell off. 22 years I used it and I felt like I could roll the ball in from anywhere.

Decided to bring myself into the 21st century when the thing fell apart on me and got me a center shafted odyssey which I used for two years, but which never did it for me.

Picked up a Yes Tracey this year, which I love and which has finally put to rest my remorse over not regluing my first putter.

WITB:
G-10 10.5* Accra T-50 M3
G-10 17.5* 4W Accra T-50 M3
Burner Rescue 19*
Burner Rescue 22* G-10 5 - PW CG 10 GW 52* 588 DSG RTG SW 56* 588 DSG RTG LW 60*Byron Morgan - 007 Captain Morgan 33" Sound Slot, Sight Dot

Note: This thread is 5897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!