IGNORED

Miller should aplogies to Rocco's

kregan
Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So wait.....the "modern golfer" looks more "fit" than Rocco??? Thats pretty funny to me. That obviously doesnt apply to 99% of the players at our club, and to a big percentage of players on tour.

Now THAT is funny. You must have very clean loos (WC's) then!

Hmmmm, how come ours are such a mess, come to think of it? p.s. If I were Rocco, I'd show up at an interview with a bucket and mop - and hand it to the guy. It's true though, it was surely meant only in jest. Just a tad over the line though, IMO. Maybe Rocco should reciprocate verbally somehow - he's got the wit, that much is clear. This thing COULD ESCALATE.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

• Administrator
So wait.....the "modern golfer" looks more "fit" than Rocco??? Thats pretty funny to me. That obviously doesnt apply to 99% of the players at our club, and to a big percentage of players on tour.

Oh

come on. MOST of the players on the PGA Tour are fairly fit. They aren't shaped like Rocco. For every Rocco out there, I'll give you several guys in their 20s or early 30s who are shaped like the "modern (professional) golfer" I wasn't talking about the dudes at your club. I couldn't care less about them. And you knew that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This NYT article brings up some interesting points on Miller's announcing: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/sp....html?ref=golf

To see Johnny Miller and Curtis Strange announcing almost back to back due to the weird ABC/ESPN/NBC sharing thing makes me realize that, yes, Miller is stuck in the past and says some things that are offensive, but I'd much rather listen to Miller then Strange, from an all things golf-technical point of view. I'm sure Strange knows alot more golf than he is letting on, but he is so bland and boring. And on the full of themselves measure, they both have that in spades.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Miller makes it funny for me. His comments are things that pop in his head, however brutal or politically incorrect they are. That's why the guy is such a great commentator.

Miller makes it funny for me. His comments are things that pop in his head, however brutal or politically incorrect they are. That's why the guy is such a great commentator.

I agree. I love the fact that he could give a rip about being politically correct. But some like McCord, some like Strange, and some like me enjoy Johnny. I guess it would be a pretty bland world if we all liked the same thing.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Well, it's always a mistake to come across like a bit of a twit to the general public, even when the other party involved knows that you aren't. I mean where would some of that kind of personally-directed talk stop? Sophomoric humor, if humor it was supposed to be.

I do like the fact that "non-standard" guys like Daley can play the game at a very high level, it's part of its charm. And a significant part of its popularity. But there do seem to be fewer eccentrics around these days, in all sense of the word. Rocco is a blasted credit to the game - what's with with a gratuitous remark like that? Pretty stupid if you ask me. For one thing Rocco's got more wit and verve than half a dozen of the young whizz kids making their robotic way up the rankings - put together. Perhaps commentators should start making public references to the lack of wattage in some of them bulbs. Yes, that might be an excellent idea - I look forward to some serious entertainment.
[sarc.]

4-hybrid:

Oh

I was just joking around with you man! My point was more geared at people who are Rocco's age. For better or worse, it seems like most "other" sports fans associate the body type of John Daly with golf, more so than the body types of TW, Adam Scott, Carmillo, etc. If I have to hear one more time from an ignorant "sports fan" that golfers arent athletes, I will go nuts.

I think Johnny Miller is a douche bag. i appreciate very few, if any of his comments (albeit some of them are funny and often you can pick up a good tip or two). I think he gives players such a hard time when they make a mistake and then tells them what they should have done instead. Im sure if he was right next to the players when he says his comments, he would have a couple of black eyes. throughout watching the US Open i probably told Johnny outlound to just "shut the **** up!" about 10 times. well....that felt good to say i will agree though...he says some funny stuff sometimes.

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

Johnny Miller is a little full of himself, not to mention his voice is just plain annoying. I take anything he says, when I am listening, with a grain of salt. And I brought it up last year, anyone (Miller) who thinks that the single strap on a golf bag should make a comeback because it looks "jaunty", needs a serious reality check. I will take Strange and Tirico over Miller any day.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Your Wrong "I SAID"
Somebody please tell me
What ever happened to FREE SPEECH
Mr J. Miller is a well respected person in golf
and therefore (in my book) is entitled to express
his opinion.
What say you?????

iacas mentioned earlier that Miller's comment was made verbally, the inference being that we could, thus, listen to his tone to determine "HOW" he meant the comment.

I virtually never take exception to a comment, and when Miller uttered this latest witticism I perked up because the tone sounded personally critical. Miller's delivery failed. So the problem, to me, is we were watching one of the greatest golf events ever and it was tainted by Johnny Miller making a stupid comment in poor taste, and delivering it in the same tone you might hear some old windbag commenting about the course maintenance group at the club.

He definitely owed Rocco an apology, and came off as the stereotypical old, white, arrogant and privileged golfer. There are better ways to represent the great game.

Moreover, as an aside, there is no other commentator who feels the need to have the following exchanges:

Johnny: "So not much in this one, right? Just outside right?"
On-course Commentator: "I'm right behind this one Johnny and yes, it's a little outside ri . . ."
Johnny: " That's what I thought , just a little outside right."

It is this crap that makes me hate Johnny Miller as a commentator. He kills telecasts for me, and I want him to stop. Thus, I'm enjoying this faux pas of his and I hope, desperately, that he does eventually overstep an obvious line and finds himself removed from commentators' booths for the rest of his days (which I hope are otherwise splendid).
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

Your Wrong "I SAID"

Mr. Miller is fully entitled to say what the heck he likes - and is well compensated for every word he utters on the tube, I daresay. Noone disputes this, that I've read.

But, as you imply, free speech is a virtue. Ergo, people are entitled to say here on the forum what they think about what he says on the box. Comes with the territory. Any problem with that? Or do we all just applaud in admiration whatever the guy comes up with, because of what he's done in the past etc? IMO it was a rather unfortunate, leaden and unamusing remark, but it doesn't make him a wife-beater. I suspect others have told him that he didn't distinguish himself on that one - it's OK, noone is perfect. He prolly didn't mean for some people to react the way they did - happens to everyone. I wish they'd pay me what he gets paid, when I put my foot in my mouth like that. Actually, I didn't realize Miller is often politically incorrect - that is something that I admire in a public person. It's risky of course, because you can get it wrong sometimes and get misunderstood. But it's a good thing and shows originality as well as courage, and we need more of it on the idiot box. Miller should take his medicine and apologize, IMO. Very likely he already has, privately ....... if he's any sort of a gentleman, which I've always felt that he was. And Rocco prolly said something like: it's OK, you didn't mean it like that, don't worry .... Either that or a swift right hook, with a good early hip turn and strong weight shift ......

4-hybrid:

You know I understood what poor Johnny was trying to say. He just did not convey it very well.

Rocco could be anyone one of us. He's not a "flat" belly. He is not a "long baller." He is just an average guy that for three days gave an above average guy a run for his money.

975D Speeder Shaft 8.5*
TourSpoon S300 13*
LDI 18*
ISI Maroon +1 1/2" 3-SW2
Zing PutterPsalms 25:5<><

If that's supposed to be the explanation, it's totally lame in my book. Seems to me he's a bit of an idiot, as well as the big ego that others have suggested. What, exactly, is "average, normal guy" about the behavior of Rocco, in the sense of his original remark - any more so than a dozen other pros I can think of. To me, Rocco stands out from the crowd of immature young wannabes and, well, let's just say some of the guys who aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

We are talking about golf here Johnny boy, remember? Maybe he's thinking of another sport. Miller has really gone down in my estimation.

I must be expecting too much from golf commentators. Some of them aren't bad, one or two seem pretty smart as well as knowledgeable, but some of them just don't live up to the job. Obviously they've spent far too much of their life pounding golf balls, not enough of it getting a decent education in how to behave and express themselves - like intelligent adults. Maybe this is what happens to people when they've received too much adulation for too many years - living off the fat of the track. Let's hope it doesn't happen to some other golfers I can think of.

Someone remind me: how many majors did Miller win? To hear him talk, it must have been half of those he took part in. He seems always to know better than the player just which club he should pull from the bag. Heaven forbid he picks the "wrong" one.

4-hybrid:

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!