IGNORED

"Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" (and his other mental game books) by Bob Rotella

iacas
Note: This thread is 2065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just finished Golf is not a game of perfect, and really enjoyed it. It has been super hard to get myself out of my bad habits on the course but i do see some promising results, especially in putting.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I love Chapter 6. All of the Hogan stuff.

"I played by feel," Hogan told me...

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Just bought it. Looking forward to enlightening thoughts that drop 30 strokes off my game.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

So far I think it's helping. At least some. One thing I have trouble with is clearing my head of mechanical thoughts when I start to swing.
I'll get ready to swing and think to myself, "pull back low and slow rotate rotate wrist hinge spine angle spine angle - TURN HIPS DROP ELBOW HANDS LEAD - *chunk* - $%$^%((*^$#$%^@"

Today at the range I just focused on my target. Wouldn't start my swing till I had everything quiet in my mind but a picture of the target. Then I just swung.

Didn't work every time, but for the first day I'd say it was good progress.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

I just finished reading "The Golfer's Mind/ Play to Play Great". The book is awesome! I read it last Thursday night, and Friday I shot a 75 (+3), which ties my lowest round ever. Sunday I shot 79 (+7) on a day which I had NO mojo. My putter was ice cold, but I still hit 11/18 greens on a course with very small greens. So today I read some of Rotella's stuff on putting. I went out after school and shot a 37 (+1). But the back nine was closed so I couldn't finish my round.

Rotella is amazing. His visualization process in the pre-shot routine is my new bestfriend. I have loads of confidence in my ability to repeat my swing under pressure.

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

So far I think it's helping. At least some. One thing I have trouble with is clearing my head of mechanical thoughts when I start to swing.

Try focusing on those things during a nice, slow practice swing. Then, fix your target and try repeating the feel of your practice swing. This worked the best during my developmental years of going from a 20+ handicap to a 9 or so. It also helps to develop a very strict routine during this time.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

So first of all i think this book is awesome. Taking his mindset and thought process to the practice green, I have never holed such a large percentage of chip shots before. But, it certainly has not helped my game.

My biggest problem is that I cannot take the "no mechanical thoughts" part of things to the course. I find myself standing over the ball for WAYYYYY to long trying to get my mind in the right place, and even then if I ignore mechanics, I can feel the swing is wrong half way back.

In the end, I think some things in this book should be ignored if you aren't a very low handicapper, but there are many things which are useful for everyone.'

Things I will ignore:
- No mechanical thoughts on the course.

Things which are very useful:
- Pick a very small target.
- Try to hole everything inside XXX yards
- Let your mind react to the hole as a target when putting.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Ignoring the mechanics helped me so much today. I'd stand behind it and visualize the shot, then take a stance and do a couple swings to feel what I wanted to do and think mechanics, then set up to the ball, clear my mind (sometimes it would take me a couple times) think of the target and let it go.

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

I read this book over the winter while taking some lessons to improve my game. The first time I went out this spring it was very frustrating. I couldn't hit anything well at all.

After returning to the book and playing another round, my temperament has improved. Using a cocky/aggressive swing with a conservative strategy has really impacted my ability to hit clean shots and keep the ball in play. When I step up to the ball, now I do so with more confidence than previously and this has really improved my ball striking.

I'm currently reading his putting book and I plan on spending time on my short game so my score will see the impact it deserves from the mental side.

In the winter months, I'm a nerdy bookworm and have read all Rotella's books. They are all great, but "the golfers mind, play to play great" in my opinion is hands down the best golf book he's written. the audiobooks are cool too because it's Dr. Bob reading himself.

I read it and well, I do not get it.

The basic premise(s) seems OK. But there is really nothing in the book to tell or train or practice to make it happen. Just doing it is great slogan for a shoe, but how am I supposed to make it happen?

Mike K
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

• Administrator
The basic premise(s) seems OK. But there is really nothing in the book to tell or train or practice to make it happen. Just doing it is great slogan for a shoe, but how am I supposed to make it happen?

By doing the things he tells his name-dropped students to do.

Focus on the target. Think only of the target. Forget bad shots immediately, and always look at the next shot, which you give your full attention. Have a repeatable pre-shot routine. Etc. One year I was struggling (this was several years ago when I was still barely a 5 handicap, if not a 6), and simply "make the target your only swing thought" took 2-3 strokes off my scores instantly. The ball magically seemed to go where I wanted it to, regardless of how craptacular my swing was at the time.
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In putting out of your mind I liked the point about making your shots more athletic rather than manafactured.Like a tennis player who goes for a forehand down the line on the run,has he told himself how to hit it.No there was no time it happened although he has practiced this consciously in training.

I find myself standing too long particulary over wedge and especially chip shots because I'm saying to myself this must hit the green so I can putt for a par or birdie.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

[QUOTE=iacas;291564]By doing the things he tells his name-dropped students to do.

I think this is what bugs me about him. Don't get me wrong, the content in his books is quite useful and I have picked up quite a lot but he tries just has hard to validate his credentials. We get it, the pros love you. Same thing about Hank Haney. Everytime I see him wearing that TW hat... never mind. That's another topic altogther.

• 3 weeks later...
I think this is what bugs me about him. Don't get me wrong, the content in his books is quite useful and I have picked up quite a lot but he tries just has hard to validate his credentials. We get it, the pros love you. Same thing about Hank Haney. Everytime I see him wearing that TW hat... never mind. That's another topic altogther.

Well, wouldn't you be proud of your students as well? A good golf coach is highly subjective to some people, so it helps to back up your talk with proof of good players that agree with you. Haney is a jerk though so maybe I agree with you.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Yeah, but the majority of the books I have read by different golf professionals are all the same way. They all seem to mention their students over and over. But that is fine with me. It helps to reinforce the point that they have all been in the same swing situations that we have. I like to hear them say it a lot...it keeps me in a different mindset.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I forgot the one question I was going to ask...have any of you ever bought used books from Amazon? If so, did you have any problems with them?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 2065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!