IGNORED

College Football National Champs 2008

etk7027
Note: This thread is 5637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

People think it is so easy to make a playoff system and everything will be fine. It won't. People will always be left out in a 4, 8, even 16 team playoff

You make some good points, but I would have to at least partially disagree with a few of them. When you are considering teams for a NC game, there arent 8 teams that are worthy by the time the last regular season game is played. And yes, strength of schedule is important, but (1) The highest quality teams are in the minority, so most teams dont even have a chance to schedule a game with them, and (2) You can schedule teams that everyone has as a top rated team, and then they flop, and it hurts your strength of schedule. A team may have had a projected SOS around, say, 65, with games scheduled against Auburn and Clemson, who were both ranked very high at the beginning of the year. However, as they have fallen, so does your SOS rating, and that is something that is totally out of a teams control, so we would have to find a way to fix that as well...It's going to be interesting to see what eventually happens, but any step towards a playoff would be a step in the right direction.

You also have to remember that every other college sport system uses a playoff system that works fantastic. And, when, if at all, have you heard a big controversy of someone getting left out of those playoffs? I can't say I have ever heard it. The difference is the FBS system doesnt want to give up the money they are getting from all the Bowl Games. To me, the obvious thing is to make everyone happy is to keep the Bowl games, but remove the ones that are showing two 6-5 teams playing each other that draw almost no one, and use those Bowl games for the playoffs.
Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jonanthans, the BCS is far from perfect. The difference between College Football and every other college sports, hell even the NFL, is that every game matters . Week 13 in the NFL you know about 9-10 of the teams in the spots. This waters down the last 4 weeks of the regular season and it drags on. Who cares about College Basketball regular season? I'm in college and I don't. But I do love March Madness. College Baseball regular season is terrible to watch. That is why the playoff system would cause the regular season to water down. Would Iowa beating Penn St. be a big deal? Yes. Would it kick them out of an 8 team playoff? Nope. So no big loss there.

there arent 8 teams that are worthy by the time the last regular season game is played

Disagree again. Lee Corso was talking about an 8 team playoff being taking the winner of each conference and an at large or two bid, so maybe two Big XII teams could get it. Guess who gets left out? OU, Texas, Texas Tech or even Oklahoma State. Guess who gets left out? Bama, FU, possibly even UGA. It'll happen every time. It's just not that simple to have a playoff. In your scenario, it was 4 teams playing. There are more than 4 teams that should be allowed in your playoff. Hell, there's 3 that are in the same division! What about Penn St? What about Tech or Texas if you invite OU, what about Bama if you invite FU? How does it work?

And yes, SOS is hard to determine at the beginning of the year. But there is no denying Utah has had it much harder than Boise, by far. The toughest game Boise has is playing at Eugene. Tough game indeed. But one game doesn't prove anything. Utah played a terrible Michigan game at the big house, even though Michigan flopped that still gets you points. They also beat Oregon St, along with CSU. Both were at home yes, but at least they're schedule decent out of conference teams unlike Boise or God forbid Ball St. It's very easy to see who has had a harder road, and Utah has had a much harder road than Boise by far. Hence why if they run the tables, they earned a BCS game. Boise on the other hand, can have a decent bowl game, but don't let them ruin my BCS games like Hawaii did last year.

I'll say it again, a playoff really will not amount to anything IMO. I think the system is far from perfect, but it really adds to drama every single week.

And I could be in the minority here, but I love football. And I love seeing 6-5 teams out of conference actually play each other in random bowls on a random Tuesday in late December. Do you remember the UCLA BYU game last year? I do. Do you remember the great game between Boise and East Carolina with ECU pulling it out? I do. Do you remember when my Sun Devils didn't show up to play Texas, and Mac Browns (i think) son touched a live ball? I do. These bowl games are great, so please don't try and tell me they're a joke. The bowl system is great IMO. You have 32 winners, and 32 losers. The only problem I see is the non-BCS schools taking spots away from real teams in the BCS Bowl games . Mizzou should've gone instead of Hawaii last year, but because of Boise, everyone thinks that these undefeated teams are great and should even be considered for the National Title! You gotta be kidding me. Mizzou and UGA last year would have been a great Sugar Bowl, but instead the BCS decides to let Hawaii in and be an embarassment. Didn't Colt Brennan have to be taken out of the game eventually because UGA beat him up so bad Lol. I think we should keep the Non-BCS schools out of the BCS bowls, unless of a tougher schedule like Utah went through. I really do think that would fix a lot of problems.

If someone could honestly develop a great playoff system that would not mess with the regular season, and can somehow have it where a deserving team is not left out, and an undeserving team is not let in, I would be all for it. You don't think I would love to see a Bama and Texas play eachother to move on to the National Title to Play either USC/FU. It would be great drama. But I just don't see it working out like that.

-Sorry for the long post, didn't realize how long it was til I previewed it

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

jonanthans, the BCS is far from perfect. The difference between College Football and every other college sports, hell even the NFL, is that every

I agree, you aren't going to fix it entirely even with a playoff system, but you mentioned teams getting left out in that scenario, there are more quality teams getting left out now than there would be then. If you end up with Florida vs Texas Tech in the NC game, the winner is going to be crowned NC, even though several teams right behind them would argue against Fla due to the Ole Miss loss. Yet, they have no chance to compete for the title. I believe Fla is a very good team, but Texas would have a great argument there if Fla was to win it. And yes I do remember the BYU/UCLA games and the Boise/ECU games from last year, and yes they were great. But in the end something has to be conceded if you want to crown a true National Champion. And, those bowl games can still take place, there are 32 bowl games played, simply eliminate some of the lesser deserving teams. I love college football as much as you do, but I can point out 7-8 teams after the bowls are announced that simply do not belong there, ala your Hawaii reference, and Nevada and Southern Miss last year. Teams simply should not be rewarded with a bowl game for going 6-5, finishing 3rd in their conference and going to a bowl game to get clobbered by one of those 2nd and 3rd place Big 12 or SEC teams. I don't have a clue as to how to make it work. Perhaps the powers that be can get together and just start a little tinker here and there to try to fix it. I agree, I don't want to take away from the regular season either...Maybe a 16 team playoff using the BCS ranking system?????
Next time they give you all that civic bullshit about voting, keep in mind that Hitler was elected in a full, free democratic election- George Carlin

In the Hoofer bag:
10.5* Redline RPM G5 16* G5 19* G5 22* MX 200, 4-6, MP-52 7-W Vokey 50*, Vokey SM 54*, 58* G5i flatstick IGNITE ball

I am hoping for Oklahoma to win out and get the nod to the national championship game against Florida I think. Will that happen, I don't know.

As for the playoff system, it's the only way to go.

Sure there will be teams left out, but it's alot easier to leave a #17 team out rather than a #3.

The bowls can still have bowls. The majority of those teams wouldn't be in a playoff anyway, so why not still have them? The playoff would be for the BCS bowls on a rotation basis.

I would hope for 16 teams, but it will never happen. That would be the best. All conference winners get a bid, even the small conferences, and then that leaves 7 more teams for at large bids. Big 12 may get 3 in, maybe 2. SEC could get 2, maybe 3 and so on and so forth.

Perfect in my opinion.

I can't wait for the Oklahoma/Texas Tech game. It should be great, and I will be there. 40 yard line, 6 Rows up :)

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

I can't wait for the Oklahoma/Texas Tech game. It should be great, and I will be there. 40 yard line, 6 Rows up :)

Should be an incredible game. Harrell and Crabtree are ridiculous. The little dump off slant always goes for huge yardage, then that sets up the deep fade. And he'll catch five balls over the middle. Good luck stopping that! If anyone can stop them it is OU. That's the best ticket in America on Saturday.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Have fun, should be a madhouse wish I could be there. I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would like to see Tech stay undefeated and get to the NC. (Disclaimer: I in no way condone dog fighting)

Man that place is going to be rocking!

early predictions:

Texas Tech 47
Oklahoma 45

I want to see Texas Tech get to the NC game as well, love to see new teams getting their shot at it.

In the Hoofer bag:

Texas Tech? Overrated.
ONE impressive win. That was over Texas. It took outstanding play by Texas Tech and bad play by Texas to pull that one off.

The win over Oklahoma State? OSU is overrated. They have ONE win against a top 25 opponent. That came against Missouri. Missoury has ONE win against a top 25 team. That's Illinois. How many wins does Illinois have against top 25 teams? ZERO!!!

Tech fans, be careful what you wish for. I'd hate to see your team get embarassed by the SEC in a national championship.

GO BAMA! ROLL TIDE!

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

That's funny.

The SEC is a better conference most years, but not this year. They will roll up 'Bama. No pun intended.

No matter though, Bama is gonna get smoked by Florida.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Texas Tech? Overrated.

Alabama's only impressive win was over UGA.

TT and UA are two very different football teams. You can't really compare them. TT has a high speed quick strike offense. UA has a normal old football team, they just play really well.

As an (obvious) LSU fan, I will give the recognition to Alabama for the win against us. That being said, it should have never been close. LSU's Qb was 13-34, 181 yards, 1 td and 4 picks, including one for a TD and the other to set up a first and goal. Alabama should have beaten us easily, not had to take it to overtime to pull it out. Florida will easily beat Alabama.

* for the record, I am not a Saban hater for him leaving LSU, he did what we brought him to do, and I appreciate him for that. He left to try his hand in the NFL. Unfortunately I have also been a hardcore Miami Dolphins fan since I was in diapers, so when he left us like he did, I have prayed for him to contract an all-over-body case of jock-itch and fungus....nothing fatal, mind you..

In the Hoofer bag:

BTW, I expect Bama to more than make up for their lack of offense this year. My prediction....Bama 35 State 6.

Well I was a little off. Final score Bama 32 State 7. I wish I could predict stock prices this good.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Sooners 62, Red raiders 21
Tells me something

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

Oklahoma made a statement with that beat-down. Going to be interesting to see the BCS rankings, with a performance like that, they could have jumped a few teams.

In the Hoofer bag:

Congrats to the Sooners on destroying my Red Raiders (unlike the guy from Okie State, I can lose with class). That was an ass kicking of the highest order. OU has to be #1 after that. Tech should be no higher than 5, if that.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

Congrats to the Sooners on destroying my Red Raiders (unlike the guy from Okie State, I can lose with class). That was an ass kicking of the highest order. OU has to be #1 after that. Tech should be no higher than 5, if that.

Tech should go back to 9 or 10 IMO. They just got exposed. They rode the wave of beating Texas until they had to play multiple good teams like UT did.

Alabama Texas Oklahoma Florida USC

Looks like mexas tech got exposed away from home like I thought. Guess the guy from tech will have to be glad they played mexas at home.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

Note: This thread is 5637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!