IGNORED

Jack Nicklaus: today's golfers & prize money.

RichF
Note: This thread is 5774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think Jack makes some great points and I don't think it is sour grapes. The reality is that Tiger is responsible for a large percentage of the prizemoney increases over the last 10 years and you certainly can't say he doesn't earn his money. I think todays players should just be thankful they are playing in such prosperous environment.

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

I think he's spot on...I guy can basically suck by tour standards and make over $500k/year. He may not stay around long, but he can have in one year the equivalent of what it would take him 5-10 years to make with a basic college degree.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

>> "When I started on tour, maybe one or two guys might have made enough money to make a living ... Now there's a couple of hundred guys who make a living playing golf. We had to really play well and scratch it out to be in a position to get endorsements. But we worked to try to build the tour so they didn't have to do that." -JN, Posted Jul 18th 2008 2:27PM by Ryan Wilson (author feed) Filed under: Golf, PGA, Fanhouse.com
Jack is spot on!

Endorsements take the pressure off playing. When you look at the average American paycheck and see the "golden" boys that are being snapped up by the companies each year (with a nice paycheck) to wear and play brand names, it's nothing like it was back in Jack's day.

Are there some great examples of good golf being played each week? Yes, this year's Opens attests to that. Is it easier to make a living out of playing golf? Yes! There are three times as many tours as there was during Jack's day. Has technology made the game easier?

I think Donald Ross said it best... "golfers used to be made on the course; now, they are made in machine shops." Look at all the golfers that can hit the ball a mile yet struggle with the short game and putting game.

>>"Is that producing better golfers?" Nicklaus said, pausing and shrugging his shoulders. "I don't know. The question was asked because you see all the older guys, all guys who have had to gut it out in tough conditions. The kids today play perfect conditions every week. If they don't like what's going on, they're finishing 10th or 15th and still make a check.

"I don't think it makes them as tough." -JN, Posted Jul 18th 2008 2:27PM by Ryan Wilson (author feed) Filed under: Golf, PGA, Fanhouse.com
Pat Perez at Birkdale this year is the perfect poster boy of what Jack is taking about.

>> I don't think it's golf at all, to be honest with you. I don't see it as golf. It's blowing 40 [mph]. My hands are so cold and everything is soaked. You can't hold on to the club. I don't see that as golf. They do here, but I don't. -Pat Perez, Gene Wojciechowski, ESPN.com
Pat also said, "It makes you look stupid out there. An 82? I don't shoot 82." Well, you did this year at Birkdale. It's was cold, windy, etc. ...whine, whine, whine... Said he couldn't wait to get home. Ahhh, Pat... Golf is about weather too. His complaining is the typical American response to how golf has been played for hundreds of years in land of golf... let him go back to the southwest and pitch and putt while working on his tan. Geeeesh!

The Ryder Cup is next. For the Americans, thank heaven it's being played on an American (perfect conditions) tract... maybe the advantage will shift. There are many Americans praying it does. Everyone together... Amen!

Hit'm straight!

iQuestGolfer
It's not about what's in your bag; it's about what you do with the clubs in your hand. Play iQuest Golf.
SQ 460 9.5*, ProForce V2, FlexS
3W Offset SZ, MR-SL60, FlexR
SlingShot 20*, hDiamana Mitsu Rayon, FlexSMaltby Recoil Irons, 4-PW, SW FlexR RAC Wedge Black TP, 60*, 12*bounce XG...

Links:

It's both. Yes, the game has changed and some attitudes, too. However, most golfers want to win every week. If they can't, they'll do everything possible to finish, high.

This is not exclusive to golf. It's all sports. The media medium has changed drastically and there is more opportunity for money to be made. Is it crazy that a guy like Eric Byrnes, baseball, makes $10 million per season? Absolutely. Thankfully, though, at least you have to earn your money in golf. You don't make the cut, goodbye paycheck. You don't play well, goodbye sponsorships. These things have a way of working themselves, out.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Top 30 (active) money-earners in golf (as of July 2008)
1 Tiger Woods $82,354,376.00
2 Vijay Singh $56,690,749.00
3 Phil Mickelson $49,369,011.00
4 Jim Furyk $37,628,609.00
5 Davis Love III $35,996,794.00
6 Ernie Els $32,815,576.00
7 David Toms $28,423,857.00
8 Justin Leonard $26,217,178.00
9 Kenny Perry $25,989,199.00
10 Stewart Cink $24,795,364.00
11 Mark Calcavecchia $22,969,846.00
12 Mike Weir $22,140,107.00
13 Stuart Appleby $22,121,945.00
14 Sergio Garcia $21,961,500.00
15 Scott Verplank $21,869,408.00
16 Tom Lehman $20,354,013.00
17 Fred Couples $20,029,922.00
18 Chris DiMarco $19,937,403.00
19 Retief Goosen $19,310,654.00
20 Adam Scott $18,298,830.00
21 Robert Allenby $18,141,826.00
22 Jeff Sluman $18,114,866.00
23 K.J. Choi $18,054,514.00
24 Jerry Kelly $17,777,980.00
25 Brad Faxon $17,656,554.00
26 Rory Sabbatini $17,246,700.00
27 David Duval $16,800,488.00
28 Steve Stricker $16,546,844.00
29 Charles Howell III $16,176,027.00
30 Geoff Ogilvy $16,171,980.00
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I think he is off on this one. Sure the middle of the pack guy can make decent money but there is always more money dangling in front of them which gives them the motivation to play better.

Also, there are many more talented golfers on tour today than there was in his day. It's much more difficult to finish atop the leaderboard week in and week out. IMO.

Also, there are many more talented golfers on tour today than there was in his day. It's much more difficult to finish atop the leaderboard week in and week out. IMO.

Yeah.....I don't agree. Tiger today is so dominating since I believe no one is there to really challenge him. Tiger's on a different level, and he's the only one there. The closer one's to challenge him include Mickelson, Duval, Els? I can't include Garcia, Scott, and others since they haven't even won a major. Compared to all-time greats that include Arnold Palmer, Ben Crenshaw, Billy Casper, Chi Chi Rodriguez, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Raymond Floyd, Seve Ballesteros, Tom Watson, Tom Lehman who were all in Jack's level. How is that not talented?

Back to the topic, it's true how players of today make more money, but that's how it goes. That's happened to nearly every sport, and I believe Mr. Nicklaus needs to accept this. However, I believe it's true when players of today are becoming soft. Player's have so many advantages today with all the different things being offered. You just didn't have those things many years ago. And that affects a lot of the competition today.

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

I think Jack has a valid point. He mentions that no one is really challenging Tiger and he thought deeply about why this might be true for a long time.

I think Jack did this for the PGA tour and the players to shape the current players to be better and not be side track with the money.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Pat Perez at Birkdale this year is the perfect poster boy of what Jack is taking about.

Those quotes on Pat Perez were great examples. He's being stupid, and I now have a reason to not like him. If he feels that way about links golf, then he shouldn't play there and praise the players championship like all the other fakes over there who think of it as a major. I find it an insult to see players like him talk about our beautiful game in that manner.

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

Yeah.....I don't agree. Tiger today is so dominating since I believe no one is there to really challenge him. Tiger's on a different level, and he's the only one there. The closer one's to challenge him include Mickelson, Duval, Els? I can't include Garcia, Scott, and others since they haven't even won a major.

Thing is, I don't think Garcia or Scott will get close to winning a Major as long as Woods is around - I don't think they can see it through 4 days.

Mickelson, Els, Harrington, Ogilvy - these guys I think can still have a go at him
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I agree with Jack and Pat Perez should be the poster child for his comments. It's not just the extreme elements that create whining - remember the Memorial last year when the sand traps were raked differently? That's all you heard about.

/J6

i15 w/Diamana Blue 9.5
G10 w/Prolaunch Red 17
Raylor 19* 909h 21 MB 4-PW Vokey Spin Milled 54* and 60* Circa 62 No 7

I think Jack has less concern about the increased winnings purse size. Jack is more concerned about corporate sponsorship issues and its implications.

Example: If a tour player can earn 3 million on the course in a year via prize purses, and also earn 13.2 million via corporate sponsorship for a total of 16.2 million for the year...

Isn't it safe to assume that winning at golf(at least monetarily) has taken a back seat to corporate sponsorship earnings?

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

Note: This thread is 5774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!