IGNORED

Master Scotty Cameron Putters: Worth It or Not? Thread

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There feel isn't even that good. to me all odyssey putters feel 10 times better.

Anyone else find this statement both troubling and appalling?

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Anyone else find this statement both troubling and appalling?

Troubling and appalling? No. Amusing that the poster thinks he knows better than some many Tour pros? Hilarious.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

• 3 months later...
Why do people view them as the top of the line putters? I want an honest answer from the people who own them or know a lot about them. What makes them better then any other putter? Is it their make up? Or just because they are so expensive?

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

I bought mine on ebay, as new shape but significantly less than full retail. I still paid more than I would for most putters, but it was definitely worth it. Now I'm talking only about my particular model (Circa 62 No.1). I'd tried it out in a store before buying it, it sits properly for me, comes off the face with the speed I like, and has the right combination of sound/feel. I've tried other Camerons that have left me cold-just as I have with all putter makes and models. I don't care that it's a Scotty Cameron, I don't want to show it off or impress anyone with it. I sometimes switch it out for a Srixon or PING putter (both purchased for around $50), and I putt about the same-but the feel isn't there. It's also been in the bag for all of my lowest rounds, so it has a psychological edge over other putters now.

It's the same reason a pool player buys a Meucci or a Joss or a high-end McDermott. They like the looks, balance, feel, and love to talk about how much they spent on it . In alot of cases, it all comes down to vanity. People like to brag, it makes them feel better.

McDermott cues are a great example...ALL McDermott cues are made the same, just different 'bling' added. Inlaid ivory, weights added, etc. I bought a 1980's McDermott in a pawn shop once for $75, I resold it 5 years later for $750 online.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

SC putters are simply very good putters. There are material and manufacturing costs that drive up the price like any redwood, bettinardi, or other milled putter in comparison to cast putters, which are a bit cheaper to manufacture.

Obviously, SC putters have a bit of a price premium due to the name, however it is well deserved. They are very well balanced and provide excellent feel that isn't quite do easy to replicate. I'd imagine the quality tolerances are higher than other manufacturing procedures, too. My SC Newport and Ping Answer Redwood look very similar, however feel quite dissimilar.

As you can see neither is in my bag at the moment, which goes to show that putting is all about sinking putts, regardless of what the name on the putter is.

You'll find quite a bit of discussion on this if you search the forums.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

SC putters are simply very good putters. There are material and manufacturing costs that drive up the price like any redwood, bettinardi, or other milled putter in comparison to cast putters, which are a bit cheaper to manufacture.

what have you noticed in the difference between the feel of the redwood compared to the scotty newport?

Im currently looking at a Califrnia Del Mar putter. Anyone played one before? Id like to know what you think?

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

It's part results, part name, and part apprecaition of such a meticulously designed and crafted golf club. All of that equates to the price that we have to pay.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

It's the same reason a pool player buys a Meucci or a Joss or a high-end McDermott. They like the looks, balance, feel, and love to

With Scotty Cameron putters you either get it or you don't. Now of course, just like those bodacious (audacious?) billiard sticks, those who want a Scotty feel they're the ones who "get it" and those who scoff at what they feel is an over-priced over-hyped tool exchange winks and feel they're the ones who truly "get it".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I've gone through 3 scotty putters in my past years, i can't say any of them were exceptionally of better quality than the other putters i've played.

What I do understand is somewhat of the novelty aspect of Scotty camerons. I think somewhere along the line, SC putters became somewhat of a collectors item because of its popularity, history, customization, etc. Sometimes I think people confuse this with performance and say they perform better...

With that said, one thing you can rely on SC putters is that they are quality-wise consistent in my opinion. They're well built.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

what have you noticed in the difference between the feel of the redwood compared to the scotty newport?

Well, I am by no means an expert here. But the feel and sound of the redwood and SC Pro Platinum (newport 2) are pretty different. The ping is noticeably harsher feeling and sounding, but that makes sense seeing as it's made with 303 stainless steel rather than the soft carbon steel used in the SC.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

Im currently looking at a Califrnia Del Mar putter. Anyone played one before? Id like to know what you think?

I love mine. I have the 33" so it is nice and heavy. I may not make a ton of putts outside 10 ft, but I dont miss by much. The weight has really helped my lag putting, and overall, my confidence. That is really what is important when standing over a putt. I dont care if you have a board strapped to a stick or a scotty, either way, if you are confident you can make putts you usually will.

I let my Cali Del Mar sit in coke one night to strip off the honey dipped finish and used acetone to remove all of the paint, except for the sight line. Right now it is naked, but I am going to put pick some very vibrant colors for my paint fill. Also, I switched my stock scotty grip out for a White Iomic Jumbo grip (really not Jumbo since japanese have small hands)...but its a bit bigger than the stock pistol. You can look at putting stats in many ways, but I average 29.6 putts per round, and Im hitting 35% greens (terrible IMO)

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They are the most readily available fully milled putter line, and Tiger Woods uses one.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Well, I am by no means an expert here. But the feel and sound of the redwood and SC Pro Platinum (newport 2) are pretty different. The ping is noticeably harsher feeling and sounding, but that makes sense seeing as it's made with 303 stainless steel rather than the soft carbon steel used in the SC.

uh oh. don't tell him that, he's gonna complain about how the redwood is too harsh and buy a SC now!

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

uh oh. don't tell him that, he's gonna complain about how the redwood is too harsh and buy a SC now!

Lol The HIGHEST MOI SWEET SPOT is on the Scotty....lol its like the Redwood is a set of Mizuno blades lol (I kid I kid)

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

thats cool. Ive been thinking of picking up a scotty too for awhile. I like the redwood alot just want another putter too. There arent any golf stores near me that have scottys to try out though.

You can look at putting stats in many ways, but I average 29.6 putts per round, and Im hitting 35% greens (terrible IMO)

Congrats. I WOULD putt with a board on a stick if I could average sub 30 putt rounds... My stats are 62% GIR and 34.5 putts :(

Note: This thread is 3768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!