IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

I've known lots of business to be worked out on the racquetball court too. Does that mean that you should play in a 3 piece suit????

Im not arguing that a person shouldnt dress how they are comfortable, im arguing that different situations and activities do call for a certain type of dress. You play baseball in a certain uniform, same for hockey, and golf, the gym, and any other activity have a certain style of dress, all different. You dont show up at a baseball game with a 3 piece, nor do you show up at a round of golf in a t-shirt and spandex shorts. You dont go to an interview in jeans, and you dont go to a business meeting in a hockey jersey, even if your a professional hockey player. And if you do go against the grain, you will look out of place, and you will be judged by others, as judgement is human nature. Im not talking about a trip to the mall or a walk with your woman. Im talking about how certain situations call for a certain manner of dress. Yes I always dress well, but thats because I have businesses of my own and an image and reputation to keep up. And if you want to be taken seriously in any type of group event in this world, you need to dress and act accordingly. Would you fart in a job interview? Or argue with the interviewer if you really wanted the job? No. So why should you dress any different than you act, professionally and courteously.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Im not arguing that a person shouldnt dress how they are comfortable, im arguing that different situations and activities do call for a certain type of dress. You play baseball in a certain uniform, same for hockey, and golf, the gym, and any other activity have a certain style of dress, all different.

No matter how you try to say it, golf isn't business. It's a game, or a sport depending on our point of view, but it's only a business for a very few professionals. Like you I wear what is acceptable and at my home course during certain seasons, that happens to be jeans. Simply wearing jeans doesn't not make one a slob (and it certainly isn't remotely comparable to farting in any sort of company). If you truly believe that then you really need to get out into the world more.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I golf my weekly league I will wear a collared shirt because that is what I wore to work. If it is above 70 degrees I will wear cargo shorts. Whether I am wearing pants or shorts, my shirt is always un-tucked because it is more comfortable for me.

I don't think a dress code is good for golf or bad for golf. Certain places have more strict codes than others and that is fine.

I think the dress code really depends on the course. If you're going to a 9-hole muni that's hardly taken care of, then I don't dresscode being a problem... as long as they actually have clothes on

If you're paying more than $50 (an arbitrary number as an example) for a round, then maybe you should be dressing nicely.

A Work in Progress:

Bag: Physics Stand Bag (ebay dirt cheap special)
Driver: Knight GTi Tour 285 10*
3 Wood: r7 ST 15*5 Wood: "The Perfect Club" 21* rescueHybrids: None... yetIrons: Burner Super Steel 3-9Wedges: Burner Super Steel PW, AW, SWPutter: BlackJack 206Ball: NXT or ProV-1 (used)

No matter how you try to say it, golf isn't business. It's a game, or a sport depending on our point of view, but it's only a business for a very few professionals. Like you I wear what is acceptable and at my home course during certain seasons, that happens to be jeans. Simply wearing jeans doesn't not make one a slob (and it certainly isn't remotely comparable to farting in any sort of company). If you truly believe that then you really need to get out into the world more.

I never said golf was a business, i said for many, its directly connected to business.

What I did say, is that every sport requires a certain style of dress, as does every avenue of life. If you go against that code, you will be looked at differently, thats a fact... You dont show up at a hockey game wearing a football jersey and pads. Nor should you show up at a quality golf course in jeans and a t-shirt.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Nor should you show up at a quality golf course in jeans and a t-shirt.

If the dress code doesn't explicitly exclude jeans and a t-shirt, why not wear them? You are well within the rules of the course.

If the dress code doesn't explicitly exclude jeans and a t-shirt, why not wear them? You are well within the rules of the course.

True, but i've honestly not seen a golf course near here that allows jeans and t-shirt. Yet I still see people showing up to the course in them.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

I vote GOOD for the game. I always wear spikes, polos or even a long sleave button up, and slacks. Even when its 110 degrees I wear slacks. Its just right for the game and the triditions that accompany every aspect of golf.

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

I vote GOOD for the game. I always wear spikes, polos or even a long sleave button up, and slacks. Even when its 110 degrees I wear slacks. Its just right for the game and the triditions that accompany every aspect of golf.

I suppose you always walk the course too? Walking is a tradition of the game is it not? I am not comfortable in slacks above 70 degrees or so. I am out there to have fun. If I am not comfortable, I am not having fun!

I'm concerned about peoples behaviour not their attire..

As much as I think proper dress is important, it does rank behind proper etiquette, following the rules and maintaining a quick pace of play.

I've never played golf in shorts either and in the spring I forgot to take off my tie while playing a quick 9 after work. It was under my jacket and I never noticed.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

First off, I want to say that I believe having a dress code is definitely a good thing. I think that there are too many people out there that have either no self respect or no common sense.

With that said, I want to get some opinions on something that has crossed my mind a lot lately. What is proper attire for the driving range? Normally, I'm a hardcore believer in going out to the range, dressed just as I would if I were playing a full round. I believe practice and play should have as much in common as possible. Here's my problem. It's been so disgustingly hot (96°, around 5-6 PM when I get off of work) down here in south Louisiana, that I've been very tempted to wear some Under Armour or Nike shorts (like for running/cross training/etc.) and a t-shirt to my sessions at the range. Normally I wear a pair of nice Nike Dri-Fit golf shorts and a Dri-Fit golf polo. Pretty much every time I've been out there for the past few weeks, after a little while, I look like I've jumped in a pool with my clothes on because I'm soaked in sweat. Because of that, after a while, it affects my practice because I'm so uncomfortable.

When I play it's not an issue, it's only when I'm hitting balls on the range. I've seen people out there in jeans or t-shirts, but if it's not appropriate, I dont want to do it, regardless of what others are wearing. So what do you guys think? Do the same rules apply to the range as they do for the course? Would it be wrong of me to wear something a little more relaxed to the range?

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

You choose to dress like a slob, in dirty clothes and t-shirts, then dont be angry when you get looked at as one.

Sorry, maybe this isn't clear to every one, but it is actually possible to wash jeans and t-shirts much as you might wash slacks and a polo shirt. In fact, this is standard practice where I come from. When you do this, your jeans and t-shirts come out clean, and if you fold them promptly, the resulting garment is very similar in appearance to a polo shirt. No, there's no collar. No, wearing it does not make you look like a slob. I just don't understand that attitude.

With regards to uniforms for sports, I guess we've been through it before, but there's a difference between the sorts of uniforms you're talking about and "golf attire." Hockey and football equipment is specialized because you can't just throw a normal shirt over a set of pads, so that's not even relevant. Baseball uniform? Ok, I see pros and serious amateurs wearing the uniforms, and similarly, I have no problem with the professional tours specifying a uniform that projects the image they want. If I made the Tour, you can bet I would wear whatever they asked -- clown shoes and a tam o'shanter? You got it. But my weekend round is not equivalent to a big league game. It's more like the rec softball league, where I notice people wearing shorts and t-shirts, not baseball gear. So I don't buy that logic either. Even baseball attire is tuned to the needs of the sport -- sliding, diving, etc, are a lot easier and more comfortable in tight-legged baseball pants than they'd be in baggy jeans, so there's a direct connection to performance. Golf attire? It's just a historical artifact, and I would prefer to choose clothing that are comfortable. So excuse me if I don't find the same clothing comfortable. Excuse me if I prefer to be comfortable than to impress you and your buddies. I personally think it's better for the game if you hold off on telling new players that, oh by the way, if you want to try the game out, go buy some new clothes first.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I'm all for dress codes in every aspect of life.

We all willingly accept that there are certain attires that are ok for our workplace, etc.

While I'm not a big fan of people wearing jeans while golfing, I don't think they should be banned. I will, however, present that the dress codes are along the lines of "Dress like a well-kept ADULT."

Baggy jeans and untucked t-shirts are not well-kept, no matter how clean they are. If you are over 20, you have no excuse for wearing jeans where your boxers show. Get some big-boy clothes and dress like an adult. This, of course, is true both on the golf course and off.

In my Vaporlite Bag
Driver: Hireko PowerPlay Q2 10.5*
3 Wood: SS 3.5 14*
20* Hybrid: 3dx
Irons: 804 OS 4-PWWedges: 52* Vintage Forged 54* Vokey Spin-Milled 58* Vokey Raw Putter: Crossbax 2.0Ball: Gamer or D2 Feel

I voted before I read through. I honestly thought it was a question of a dress code for the pros.

I think it's good for them because it's like a uniform.

I think for the average golfer at a local $13 9 hole course it doesn't matter.

They don't make me wear a tuxedo like the guys on TV when I go play pool.

-Bobby Harris
----------------
I play a Wishon driver that was fitted to my personal swing by a professional club fitter
Irons are Tommy Armour 845's for irons handed down to me from my father
Wedges by Cleveland Golf. Gap(52), Sand(56) and Lob(60).And a VERY OLD Odyssey Putter with a graphite...

I don't see those clamoring for tradition out there playing golf with knickers and a tie or bowtie. Do you?

Which one of you wants to go up to this guy and tell him he doesn't belong on a golf course due to the way he is dressed...

Whats wrong some nice cargo shorts? A high handicapper needs a place to store all those back up golf balls :P

In my Golf bag
Big Bertha Irons
60* wedge
Hi-Bore Hybrid 3
Burner 3wood XLS Hi-Bore 10.5 Driver Putter On the feet Burner Balls

that is one gravelly cartpath... you need jeans just to keep from getting hit by the gravel from peelouts by the cart in front of you... lol

and thats a snazzy red cart btw... looks faster than the white ones
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

Note: This thread is 1379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!