IGNORED

If you only had $60 to spend on golf a month...

Soup Fan
Note: This thread is 5759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd go with the playing the cheapest courses around walking (to keep costs down). I wouldn't go to the range. Use that money to play. I find actually playing to be more beneficial than range time. If you play afternoons during the week courses are usually empty and you can use that time for practice. Hit a couple of balls off the tee, practice pitching/chipping around the greens, and putting. Around here the local muni is $8 for 9 and $12 for 18 walking. On a $60 monthly budget you could play at a course like that 7 times a month. That's almost twice a week. You'll get plenty of practice and probably end up seriously improving your game. Golf is golf and it doesn't matter whether you're playing an imaculately groomed course or if you are playing the local "cabbage patch". Sure it's more fun to play the nicest courses, but when you're on a budget you've got to learn to make concessions.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

For me (not trying to pass along value judgements), I would maximize my dollar by playing more at less expensive courses.

- Skip the driving range
- Walk
- Play 18 (usually cheaper per hole)
- Look for coupons, on-line specials, etc...
- Take advantage of early/late rates
- Check out golfnow.com

I see you are in the greater Chicago area. Golf is generally more expensive in a metro area HOWEVER, there are more courses competing for rounds which usually means you can find bargains.

http://www.golfnow.com/illinois

For the best discounts if your schedule is flexible, check the day before or even the same day you want to play.

I would suggest to head out toward the boonies/ away from the city, but with gas prices the way they are, you quickly achieve a diminishing return.

Remember, more expensive does not necessarily translate to better golf.

Good luck!

I have a few real cow pastures that pose as golf courses in my area, but sometimes thats what I can afford.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

not as harsh as Rick stated but, I probably wouldn't be thinking of Golf if I and my Wife were in some money tight situations, but then again it is nice knowing and being friends with the guy who owns a Golf course....

suggestions, play during twilight hrs....walk.....play cheaper courses...

I think its selfish that you even consider playing golf when your money is really tight.

Wow! Not only was this a little harsh but you are jumping to conclusions here. Maybe after all necessities are paid for, and everyone in the family can have a little money for recreation. Maybe Soup Fan just wants to figure out what to do with his/her rec money.

This post is totally uncalled for.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

Just like everyone else has stated, play twilight, walk, cheaper courses. If the tight situation continues, consider saving the $60 a month until you have enough for a year membership.

I would have to say more is better. If you want to keep your game going until times are better, then play more now. When everything turns around, then play the better courses and take pride doing it.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

I'd save up over the winter months so when spring hits ill have saved enough for a membership at a course, that way i can play as much as i wish and each month in the golf season i can spend on playing at different courses.

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

if it were me i would cut the driving range and play 9 or 18, twilight or early bird....... im pretty sure you can get a couple connections at that course to get cheaper or a cart cause i know how it feels anything free when cash is tight is nice....... my cousins husband plays everyday at seminole golf course and know almost everyone and gets away and gets alot for free and cheaper...... get to know some people out there

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

My tips from a real life of $50-$75 a month on golf.

I rarely go to the range, on course play is the best practice, and if you play in the evenings it often isn't too busy, so you can hit an extra ball or two or try several approach shots to a hole, since you often won't be holding anyone up.

Play a cheaper muni course. It won't hurt you or your game.

Walk. Carts are way overrated for golf.

Play twilight rates.

Don't play weekends (especially during the day), that is the most expensive time of the week to play.

Find a par-3 executive course if you have one in your area. Mine charges $8 for the first round and $4 for every round thereafter, 1900 yard par 29. My kids can play for $4 and $1 thereafter.

I can walk onto my local muni 5 minutes away for $12 twilight, all you can play, after 6PM. I can almost fit in 18 this time of year. Other couses around here are $8 or $10 for twilight.

Stay away from buying equipment, fight the temptation. Balls and greens fees should encompass your expenditures. Walk by the rough areas of a course, you will find many usable balls, if you aren't picky about brand name. Even ProV1's on occasion.

Tough times call for belt tightening and a bit less choosiness. before you know it times will be better and you can upscale your couse again. But you might find some of your spendthrift habits stick with you...

Driver: Titleist 905T 11.5*

Hybrids: Cleveland HALO Hybrids 19*, 22*

Irons Snake Eyes Python O/S irons (I carry 5,7,9,A irons)

Wedges: Adams Tom Watson SW 56* (sometimes carry Adams Tom Watson LW 60*)

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force 2 Rossie or Tommy Armour EFT Series Model 6

I would play the cheaper courses until the 60 bucks was gone. Then I would spend my time practicing as much as I could when my money was gone.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Id play at cheaper courses. There a par 3 course not far from where I live that charges $10 for 9 holes.
Id much rathar play once a week at a cheaper course than to only play once every other week at a more expensive course.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

With only $60/month it wouldnt even come close to covering my membership and that would take away any walking option and take away any range time.

I would have to play once a month with my wife and get out once during twilite by myself.

In Florida that will only cover you during the summer. In the winter only one of us would be able to get out once a month.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

...how would you spend it? Wife and I are going through some tight financial straits the next couple months and it looks like I won't have a lot of money to spend on golf. It may be more (or less) than $60...I just picked that number as an example.

I don't know what your occupation is but if you can volunteer at a course, some places let you play for free.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

I don't know what your occupation is but if you can volunteer at a course, some places let you play for free.

Good idea. I am not in dire staights financially by any means, but I am certainly not rolling in dough either. I got a second job at a golf course because I couldn't afford to play otherwise. I get free golf and range and the extra money I make pays for everything else.

None of the money I make form my real job goes to golf at all. That should make judgmental asses like Rickpro happy that your not leaving your family destitute in your pursuit of the little white ball. I don't know if thats a possibility in your situation but its a thought. Good luck.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Perhaps I should have stated what I assumed would be assumed, and that is that the reason my golf budget is going down is because my golf money is going towards things like bills and gas and insurance and diapers. I would never jeopardize my family or my finances just to play golf. If that were the case, I jolly well wouldn't have posted...I would just go ahead and spend all my money on golf anyway.

I've been posting on far too many messageboards for far too long to be offended by Rick's post, though.

Anyway, I already play weekday afternoons when rates are fairly cheap and the course is not too full. The only weekend playing I do is at a small, family owned cow pasture that is $13 with unlimited replays, so I need to take more advantage of that.

As far as walking goes, I am usually squeezing in my rounds before work so the cart is an insurance on not only getting done in time to work, but having the energy left over. For a guy who doesn't usually walk on full size (I usually walk shorter tracks) courses, to start doing it now when the temperature has been touching 90 consistently is kinda...well...terrifying to me. Definitely will try to do it more, though. I need to lose weight anyway. I want to get a good stand bag so I don't have to bring the pull cart, though. Although it seems counterintuitive, I think carrying a bag with shoulder straps may be easier than dragging a cart behind me.

The range, although it might represent a large chunk of my budget, would allow me to swing the clubs at least once or twice a week, which I might not be able to do otherwise. Maybe once I get the hang of walking I can forgo the driving range, but right now I want to swing as much as I can to improve my ball striking.

Thanks for the advice and help. I will seriously consider volunteering at courses if I can get some free golf out of it. I will ask around about that.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

I play once a week, mid week, mid day. And always walk. I like to walk it. Cost me about 24 - 30 dollars depending on where i play.

Like the others, I think you need to look for the best deals you can find, balancing cost of golf with travel expenses (cost of gas ). Another suggestion is to go to a local course which has a good short game practice area. Most of the courses in my neighborhood here in the Denver area have good chipping, pitching, and putting practice areas where you can spend the whole day practicing and never spend a cent.

Another good idea is to find a decent par 3 course and play there at least once a month. The fees are usually a lot less, and it's good practice for your short game. My home comples has 3 courses, an 18 hole par 72 regulation course, a 9 hole par 31 executive course, and a 9 hole par 3 course. 9 holes on the big course costs $17 to walk weekdays, the executive 9, $13, but the par 3 course is just $8 any day of the week. The par 3 course has holes ranging from 205 yards to 80 yards, is nicely bunkered and also has a couple of holes with water hazards. Find a course like that and you can play plenty of golf within your budget.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 5759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!