IGNORED

Hitting Off Mats

mochila

Could try this: Izzo Flatball Training Aid

What would otherwise be a thin hit will be no hit at all.  A fat shot will tend to have you bouncing over the top, also resulting in bupkis.

I have a set, though I haven't worked with them much. They do seem to work as-advertised.

Plus, like The Floppy ball: You can hit 'em indoors if you're careful :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the good ideas. I’m current practicing on a new Top Tracer range at our course. The mat does seem softer than many I have used at regular driving ranges. But still you can tell if you hit it really fat. It hurts.

The data it gives for each shot isn’t very informative. It shows carry, total distance, height and how much it curves. I think we can tell most of that without the feedback. 

1 hour ago, Mkgrady said:

The mat does seem softer than many I have used at regular driving ranges. But still you can tell if you hit it really fat. It hurts.

I have a golfing friend whose entire body is pretty beat up from multiple injuries.  Hits down on the ball a lot.  He's close to a scratch player.  A true range rat.  He finds 4 pine cones to put in a rectangle under the mat aligning with his hitting area.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

This is a neat idea: 

8 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I suggest bringing a playing card (or a whole deck). You can put the playing card behind the ball. If you hit the playing card, you hit behind the ball. Easy peasy. 

Also have the Izzo Flatball Training Aid…have hit off grass with them, now may step up in using on the mat. 

Most of the courses I play locally have grass ranges, some do have mats.  I hit 95% of my shots at home and the range off grass.  Mats do punish if you hit fat and can force you to pull out of the swing and thin to avoid the impact.  I do like to use super short rubber tees to allow for easier ball first turf second impact. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

He finds 4 pine cones to put in a rectangle under the mat aligning with his hitting area.

I keep thinking there must be some deep hidden meaning I'm missing here...

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

1 hour ago, mohearn said:

😃 Well, he does communicate with the mothership before every shot.  And divines water hazards with a forked stick before teeing off.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

I have a mat which is much thicker than most mats (probably about 2.5 inches thick), and there is a 1 x 2' section which is replaceable for when the repeated swings start wearing out the fake grass. The added padding partially solves some of the issues mentioned in this thread, like damage to irons, increased shock of the swing causing injury, and the firmness of the mat masking the effect of fat shots. I got it from the Indoor Golf Shop. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

13 hours ago, mohearn said:

Creates an air gap under the mat so if (when?) he hits it, there's move give, would be my guess.

I think when you hit it fat, but ball first, mat and grass is about the same? Maybe you dig into the grass more so higher in the face contact.

There is a photo of Tiger Woods' worn out mat he used in his garage during his junior days. It it's good enough for the goat, it's good enough for the rest of us. But this being today, mats have improved, so splurge more for the better ones.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The only thing I could add is hitting off mats could scratch your irons up. I think it depends a lot on the material of the iron though. It tore up my Mizuno JPX 900 7-iron and have since starting using my dad's old Tommy Armour irons and it's been fine with those. 

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

• iacas changed the title to Good or Bad - Hitting Off Mats

There aren't any ranges close to me that have a good grass area and I also notice that mats seem to give me a false sense of improvement. I have gotten better at recognizing when the mat maskes a bad swing, but I really wish I had range with a good grass area within driving distance to practice on.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter