IGNORED

"Your First Birdie" Thread

polodinks
Note: This thread is 3443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK GUYS UPDATE....... went golfing today front 9 i made 3 pars made a birdie on the back 9 cause i used the driver...... my cousin has the callaway fti draw biased driver..... hes pissed off at me today cause i cant hit it...... so he gets mad at me and makes me hit it...... 3rd hole par five small dogleg right to an elevated green with bunkers in the front back and right so if your gonna miss, miss left....... i BOMBED his driver for the first time right down the middle about 280 and left with 155-160 to the green..... hit it just a hair too much right and in the front bunker.....i 2 shot out of the sand and 1 putt for par....... me just thinking i LOVE 150-160 yard shots cause the par 3's are that far and i try to get my iron dialed in..... its usually a 7 iron but anyways just thinking if i would of aimed left a hair i would of had a legitimate chance at EAGLE..... all cause i used the driver...... my cousin who is 5'5 was amazed at the distance i got out of his driver cause of my height...... he said if you would only work on that driver a bit and get a nice 250-260 yard shot he told me your handicap would drop ALOT..... my second birdie was 10th hole again with driver par 4 about 300 yards hidden green from the tees to the left so i hit it perfect with a little bit of a draw and left with about 20 yard chip left my 58* wedge about 3 feet for birdie..... wow guys i was never so exited........ sorry for the huge story but i had to share...... my new goal is to sell my irons and my beloved scotty cameron and get the irons and driver i can use now and WORK on my game..... i was thinking irons wise 695 cb's or maybe 755's..... and a 907 d1 and ill be set

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got my first birdie. It's been a looming goal I've aspired to since I started golf three years ago, and the way I've played the past couple months I've actually felt like I might possibly be on par to get one. Friday (two days ago), I finally did.

I was squeezing in 9 holes after work at the local course that I've only played once. I had my best driving round of my life and one of my best iron days (those long hours at the range have finally paid off) but didn't chip well and was going to finish at one over bogey.

The 9th hole was a short par 4, playing about 305 yards that day by the cart's GPS. I sent my best drive of the day down the middle of the fairway 225 yards, according to the cart's GPS. I was left with a 80 yard pitch to the green which I stuck almost an even 12 feet from the hole. I was nervous lining up my putt, because I'd never had a chance like this. I almost never hit GIRs and thus almost never even have a birdie putt, let alone a reasonably close one. I sank the putt with just enough strength to get the ball to roll in. With the birdie I finished at an even bogey for the 9 holes.

I was playing as a single so there was no one to celebrate with, but it felt as good as I'd hoped. With the pressure of the first one out of the way, I don't have to worry anymore when the opportunity presents itself. I've saved the ball for my display case.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I finally got my first birdie. It's been a looming goal I've aspired to since I started golf three years ago, and the way I've played the past couple months I've actually felt like I might possibly be on par to get one. Friday (two days ago), I finally did.

That's nice. Congrats!!

Driver: Cleveland Launcher 9.5* (UST Proforce V2 65 R)
#3, #5, #7 and #9 Wood: Cleveland Launcher (Cleveland Gold, UST Proforce and Grafalloy ProLaunch regular shaft)
Hybrid irons: 5-6, Adams (Graphite Design YS+ Graphite R)
Irons: 7-PW, Adams Tech OS Hybrid (True Temper GS75 steel R)
Wedges: 52*...

Good job doing it on what sounds like your first attempt on a par 4. A 12 foot putt is a nice way to drop it, too, but that first one is always special.

I know I missed a few easy birdie putts before the first one dropped.

McGolf-Doggie's stand bag & new and used club emporium:
Putter :ping: 1/2Craz-e | Irons :TaylorMade: RAC MB, 4i-PW (DG S300) |Wedges :Cleveland: SW&LW 56*DSG+RTG; 60*/4* DSG+RTG |Woods :Cobra: S1 5W; Adams TIght Lies 3W |Driver :TaylorMade: Burner 9.5 Fujikura Reax S | Maxfli Practice

Congrats! The first one is always memorable.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

Good job doing it on what sounds like your first attempt on a par 4. A 12 foot putt is a nice way to drop it, too, but that first one is always special.

It wasn't my first GIR on a par-4, but it was my best birdie chance every by far. I've had a few others, but they were like 25 ft putts at best. Technically feasible, but you don't really expect it to fall. But this was my first real chance at it, so I was nervous because if I missed I didn't know how much longer it would be before I had another chance.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Now you know you can do it, they will become easier. Wait until your first Eagle putt!! Congrats!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats. But they don't become easier, lol, sorry. I had my first birdie years ago when I was god awful at the game, and I mean just plain awful. Now I shoot in the low 90's but still struggle to pull even 1 birdie in a round. Last round of golf I made like 7 pars but no birdies, lol. They're tough to get. But keep at it.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I had a 15 foot chance at my first birdie on a Par 3 the other day, I let the pressure get to be and putted it 5 feet by the hole. I figured I should at least be able to get my first par here and winded up missing that putt as well :(

Congrats on your first birdie!

Congrats! Next, go for a bird on a Par 3, or a Par 5! The par 3 will be toughest.... Your approach on the Par 4 you birdied was 80 yards, that's a common yardage for a third shot on a Par 5.

Not so much for your tee shot on a Par 3

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Went out for the first time since my birdie with my wife and brother-in-law today and got my second birdie! It was on another short par 4. This one had a water inlet that forced a lay-up at about 200 yards. I scaled my driver back a little and thought I'd dumped it in the water, but I had actually run it up to just before the water. From there it was about 80 yards to the green over water. I stuck my PW to the green with very little roll-out (and the green was fairly firm, too) about 18 feet from the pin. I didn't expect to make the putt and just lined it up with a slight right-to-left break and hit it. It rolled into the cup with just barely any speed; I was afraid for a moment that I'd left it short. The group waiting behind us saw it and one guy waved his arms to congratulate me. (In his words, "That looked like a really long putt. I was shocked to see it actually go in.")

The day was relatively retched otherwise, though. I had four 3-putts, which I don't think I've done in a couple years. My chipping was also poor, I lifted my head or decelerated on the stroke more than once, to my shame, and paid the consequences. I shot 100 even, my second 100+ score in roughly my last 8 games.

Now I need to get a par 3 or par 5. I think a par 3 is more realistic because I just need one good tee shot and I get 4 chances per game. Par 5s have more chances to mess up and screw myself, I loathe taking them on. But we'll see.

• 1 year later...
I had an awesome day and decided to celebrate a work accomplishment with 9 holes this afternoon. The good times kept on as I made my first birdie! It was a par 4, 377 yards. My drive missed right and the hole slightly doglegs to the right. I pulled out my 4h, which happens to be the first round I've played with it, and nailed one from about 170. It had a little fade to it and ended up about 10 feet in front of the green and 25 feet from the hole. I would normally have pulled out my AW and chipped, but thought I'd start using the putter as much as I can. I feel like the putter gives me far less variety of result, compared to how many different results I can generate with a chip. I pulled out the putter, thought "2 putt for the win", gave it a solid stroke, watched it break right and roll straight into the cup. What an awesome way to earn that first birdie. :-)

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

Grats! Wish I could remember my first birdie.

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Thanks! I hope this is the start of a trend, even just one every round or two would help me play bogey golf.

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart

Thanks! I hope this is the start of a trend, even just one every round or two would help me play bogey golf.

I don't want to sound negative here but...

Get a life!

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart

I hope it so too.

As a tip, give yourself chances. Putting for birdie, even from far away, is a better chance than chipping from nearer the pin but off the green. More chances will become more birdies. You've broken through the ceiling so now there is nothing holding you back.

If you play the same course a lot, start tracking which holes you have birdied. Pretty soon you may find you've birdied them all. One down, eight to go on that nine.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 3443 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!