IGNORED

Why Are You Passionate About Golf?

ks8829
Note: This thread is 1799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For me, it's everything. The setting, the trees, the feeling of a perfectly struck shot, everything.
What's in the Bag

Tour Burner 9.5* stock stiff shaft
Tour Burner 14.5* 3 Wood stock stiff shaft 3DX Ironwood 20* UST Proforce V2 regular shaft 690mb Irons 4-PW rifle flighted 5.5 shafts Forged 48* wedge Vokey Design spin-milled 54*, 60* wedges Studio Select Newport 2 mid-slant TP Red&Black BallsLowe...

Is there anything better than standing on the tee and you take your back swing and you get that moment , and you all know it, when you have started your downswing, you know your hips slid first, you're coming down in "the slot" ... and you think to yourself, "OH YEAH, watch this bitch fly!" Just that moment when you know you've done it right ... you kept yourself behind the ball, you see it, you hear it ... and you look up and you can't see that ball anymore because - it's gone! Then you hear your best friend, brother/father-in-law, who ever you might be playing with say, "$hit dude, you smoked that one!"

Is there anything better ...

Wait, yeah, sticking that approach shot to 3 feet, from 165 yards out, over water/sand ... and just hearing "great shot" ... that's awesome ...

What isn't there to be passionate about this sport?
In my Bag:

Driver: Burner 10.5* Stiff shaft
3 WoodBurner 15* stiff shaft
5 WoodBurner 18* stiff ShaftHybrid3DX (18.5*)Irons: (4-LW):Putter: Rossa Indy SportBalls: Reds

I am passionate about golf because almost nothing feels better than a well executed golf shot whether its a approach shot that lands near the hole or a stuff breaking putt that you hit perfectly to go in center cup or playing a hole perfectly has you planned and make a birdie.

Because of the good-looking women who play the game locally and on the LPGA Tour---eg. Natalie, Paula, Cristie, Erica Blasberg, Laura Diaz, etc. I would rather watch them play than the guys!!

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Is there anything better than standing on the tee and you take your back swing and you get that moment,...

For some people the answer must surely be yes? My observation is that the harder something is to achieve, the more satisfaction/passion it evokes. Those triathlon people seem pretty passionate about the sport and their stories seem familiar, casual interest progressing into all consuming obsession.

I'm in a bit of a funk at the present and the passion is a bit scarce. Is that something common for teeners trying to claw their way down into the single digits? Like the light is always darkest right before the dawn kind of thing?

Mike

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Initially golf did not interest me. At the time I started (regularly/seriously) playing me and my father were not spending much time together (to no fault of each other...was work...and other obligations) but he bought me a starter set and invited me to a couple of rounds. I went just to hang out with him, after that my competitive streak took over.

Where I play: Mission Viejo CC and
long Beach Skylinks

In My Red Cleveland Club Count Bag Today;
Hibore XLS 11.5* w/ Diamana Redboard Flowerband 63 S 2009 Launcher 3WD HT 17* w/ Graffalloy Epic 87g S Hibore XLS Hybrid 22* w/ Graffalloy Epic S and 25* w/ Project X 6.0 CG2 4-PW w/ Project X 6.0 HL...

Golf really saved me. I was an indoor guy, never did any kind of sports, ate poorly, watched a lot of TV. I started golfing as a fluke in a way. My ex-gf's son's father (keep score here, please) invited me to go out and play with him. I think he just wanted me along to keep the kid occupied (hah!). Anyway, I really enjoyed being outdoors for 4.5 hours. Later I got into walking the course and liked the feeling of getting healthier. Since then, I've changed my diet, started working out for strength and aerobic fitness, and I feel 10x better. Golf has also served as a psychiatrist in a way. I can see what part of my personality is messing up my game, and when I get it under control, I can take that control and use it off the golf course. In that respect, trying to improve at golf has forced me to face my issues, and that's something nothing else has been able to do. So, yeah, I am passionate about golf and I will play for as long as I can stand up.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

My wife and I went through some difficult times. I convinced her to go with me to the course, take lessons and took her to some nice places to play. It is the best thing that ever happened to us. Now in our 50's, we plan golf vacations, we travel on weekends around the state and play in different places.
We played today and our are playing again tomorrow. Sometimes we will go out an play a round with another couple or just go ourselves.
It has been the best thing that ever happened to our marriage. Except that now she is able to beat me!

Because golf is one of the few sports that are 100% dependent on you performing at your best with no one else to blame. It depends you you honing and improving your game and keeping it together when it counts. Because it's relaxing and exhilarating at the the same time. Because you can get as zen or hardcore as you want depending on mood.

There are mulitple reasons I love golf. First, I never particularly excelled at team sports. In golf, if I mess something up, there is no one to blame but me and I know I need to fix it. Next, no matter how bad I may be playing, that one perfectly hit approach to the green can redeem an entire day of slices and mishits. Golf is the only hobby I have ever had that I can quit, swear I'm never playing again, and a few weeks later, be back at the range with a club in my hand.
  • Like 1

• 10 years later...
On 9/9/2008 at 3:57 PM, Dent said:

I am passionate about it because It's something I'm good at. It's a game that takes years to master, and you can't just pick it up and get good (well..most can't)

It's so hard to explain but I just love it more than anything.

I feel the same way.  It is something I have worked hard at for the past 6 years and have become pretty good at it.  I love the game because I am constantly learning new shots, techniques and course management as well as being humbled when it comes to the bad rounds ha ha.  I played baseball, basketball, football, etc. growing up and my dad taught me golf at age 5, but, I never took interest in it until I was 15 and went to the range with some buddies and was able to hit the ball solid.  I thought to myself "wow this game could be a lot of fun" and the rest is history.. Granted I have been blessed with the opportunity to play/practice at a country club throughout my childhood and receive a few lessons.  I am 21 years old now, in college and forever will be grateful for the game of golf.  Of course I am planning to introduce my children to the sport in the future.  Cheers! 

If I had to choose between sex and golf for the rest of my life, I would choose golf.  Not even close...

As far as why I love it, there's no better feeling than executing a perfect swing and watching that ball go exactly where you want it to.  Nothing!

• Like 1

This wonderful sport gave me a lot more time with my dad. It kept him walking and getting out and about, rather than wasting away after retirement and a terminal prostate cancer diagnosis.

Had to hang up his clubs last year as he simply couldn’t manage anything more strenuous than putting, but now he walks the course with me and buddies on a round. And if it’s an empty course, we drop balls for him and have mini putting comps (play for pints on the 19th).

• Like 1

Thinking about it, I am not sure that playing, and practicing as much as I do, qualifies me as being 100% passionate about my golf game. I mean, I like hitting that little ball every chance I get, but I am not fanatical about it. I never have any intense feelings about it. I take the game of golf just serious enough to have fun with it.

Mentally, when playing, I am on auto pilot, one shot at a time. In between shots, my mind could be lost some wheres else.

I never worry about my scores. I just turn them in and let the league stat gurus deal with them. 

My golf game helps to keep me physically healthy, to do other things. The other,  physical things I do help to keep me healthy to continue to play golf. 

Golf did give me a personal quest during my years of physical rehab. Something impossible to strive for. Maybe that part makes me a little passionate about my golf. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• 4 weeks later...

Am I passionate about the game? No. 

I very much enjoy the learning curve, and being outdoors. I invest a lot of time into the game, but I'm not obsessed with it like I have been with other sports in my life, like cricket and tennis. I don't follow the tour closely and don't enjoy watching it particularly. I don't set my alarm to early morning tv viewings anyway.

Its a hard game to pick up and play, extremely expensive with brands doing everything they can to take money off you for improvements in equipment that don't correlate to performance, and it has a stenching stigma of rich, white privilege. You can't participate in the game without paying big dollars. Even hits at the driving range are expensive. Whilst Im in a position to pay my way thanks to studying hard and holding down a good job, there's a lot of people out there who miss out on opportunities to play the game because of the costs. Its not fair. Lessons are ridiculously expensive. Not many sports are like this anymore. And some of the most awful and arrogant people I've come across have been on a golf course.

I enjoy the sport only when I can play by myself, keeping away from others, to be honest.

Edited by Hugh Jars

It’s hard to articulate. But just being out in the sun and challenging myself to be better is the draw. While it is better to play with others it’s a game you can play by yourself if you want/have to, and still enjoy it just as much.

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

Its a hard game to pick up and play, extremely expensive with brands doing everything they can to take money off you for improvements in equipment that don't correlate to performance, and it has a stenching stigma of rich, white privilege. You can't participate in the game without paying big dollars. Even hits at the driving range are expensive. Whilst Im in a position to pay my way thanks to studying hard and holding down a good job, there's a lot of people out there who miss out on opportunities to play the game because of the costs. Its not fair. Lessons are ridiculously expensive. Not many sports are like this anymore. And some of the most awful and arrogant people I've come across have been on a golf course.

In Australia?

I don't agree with a lot of what you wrote there. At all.

Golf doesn't have to be that expensive. You can walk at a pretty good 18-hole muni (I play it regularly each year) for $15. Plenty of minority players to be seen and play with and enjoy their company.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 hours ago, Hugh Jars said:

Its a hard game to pick up and play, extremely expensive with brands doing everything they can to take money off you for improvements in equipment that don't correlate to performance, and it has a stenching stigma of rich, white privilege. You can't participate in the game without paying big dollars

Nonsense. I note that you are Australian but you have a distorted view of reality. Golf in Australia is very much for everybody. Not everyone has to play at Royal Melbourne or NSW. Almost every large town has a choice of golf courses and even small towns have one. They are social hubs and friendly places for EVERYONE. Memberships at good courses are commonly well under A$1000 at frequently $5-600 per year and full of normal, working class people. You pay your competition  fees of around $20 per round a couple of times a week if you have the time and have access to club facilities. 

Most people I play with use clubs that are 10 or so years old. You don't have to buy into the equipment "upgrade" merry-go-round.

And----- most top level clubs have crazy membership fees for people under 30. Sometimes only $200 or so a year to play some of the best courses in the country. Much less for people under 25.

Edited by leftybutnotPM

Note: This thread is 1799 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!