IGNORED

Golf skills contests, why not?

glebert
Note: This thread is 5701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Random thought: does pro golf have any real "skills" contests, similar to some of the big team sports (e.g. slam dunk contest, home run derby, pro bowl quarterback contest). I think they used to have long drive contests where the pros competed; I remember reading about Hogan and Weiskopf and others competing. I don't know of any events like that now, though.

I think that would be fun to watch, to see how far they could hit it if they don't have to play the second shot. They could also have some trick holes setup, like 300 yard blind doglegs and see who could get closest to the pin working a big cut or hook. Also would need the spinback contest on a par3 where the pin is covered by a canopy that you would have to hit over and spin the ball back to the hole.

I don't follow pro golf much, but I would watch something like that.

greg

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Yes golf has (or has had) a 'Skills Challenge," though it's been a while since I have watched it. I remember one year watching Phil Mickelson face away from the green, hit a shot behind himself onto the green, several feet from the hole.

I don't remember all of the challenges, only that it was fun and interesting watching the pros having fun with it.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

There were long drives, bunker shots, 50 yard pitches and closest to the pin on a par 3 (I think). And some other skills I can't remember. But I may have been watching a different competition. This had players from the Champions Tour, PGA, LPGA and other sports. I remember Paula Creamer and Trevor Immelman won something and Roger Clemens threw a softball closer to the pin than the best shot on the 50 yard pitch. Then he went on to....well you know the rest.

I remember watching Vijay in a contest for mid-range iron shots to a green, and he stuffed one to about 2 feet. Then, took a lefty's club (don't remember who), and flushed it to about 3 feet. Closer than anyone else with their own clubs... it was bada$$...

Driver:  R11S 10.5°, Fairway Woods:  909 F2 15.5°, Hybrid:  G10 21°

Irons:  Tour Preferred MC 4-P, Wedges:  Vokey SM 52.08, 56.10, 60.04

Putter:  Tei3 Newport II / Circa 62 #3, Ball:  Pro V1X / NXT Tour

I remember watching Vijay in a contest for mid-range iron shots to a green, and he stuffed one to about 2 feet. Then, took a lefty's club (don't remember who), and flushed it to about 3 feet. Closer than anyone else with their own clubs... it was bada$$...

yeah, i think it was weir's club.

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I would definitely tune in to watch golf HORSE. Watch the PGA guys pull out their best trick shots and see if their fellow competitors can match it.

In the Ogio stand bag

909 D2 w/ VooDoo S
15.5* 906F4 w/ Aldila VS Proto 80S
3DX DC 3 HybridFP 4-GW56* and 60* Vokey SM wedgeSophia putter

Not surprised, the dude is scratch from the other side, I think.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

There is one in the Grand Slam of Golf (All the major winners from the previous year) They have some skills competitions, although they dont really keep score formally

Not surprised, the dude is scratch from the other side, I think.

Butch Harmon's son is the same way. I just want to be that good right handed, here they have the gift both ways.

Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

Note: This thread is 5701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!