IGNORED

20+ handicappers hitting 300 yards (mild rant)

Note: This thread is 1535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any time I go out of bounds i take that same shot over. Off the time ill re hit my driver. First off my point wasn't to say look at me or try and look cool. I play golf for fun. We play by the rules for the most part. If my ball lands in a divet in the fairway I move it out. If I have a horrible lie in the deep rough ill prop it up alil. We count all shots. As I stated I may get a few to many gimme putts considering I'm a horrible putter . My drive i said if I hit it great I'm 270-285. Other times its 230-250 especially in narrow Fairways when i take some off. Ill post videos of my driver, 3w and 9 iron and end it at tnat. If you don't believe me that's fine. I didn't register for this board to prove myself or lie about how great I am. Just get some tips on buying clubs and fittings

Any time I go out of bounds i take that same shot over. Off the time ill re hit my driver. First off my point wasn't to say look at me or try and look cool. I play golf for fun. We play by the rules for the most part. If my ball lands in a divet in the fairway I move it out. If I have a horrible lie in the deep rough ill prop it up alil. We count all shots. As I stated I may get a few to many gimme putts considering I'm a horrible putter . My drive i said if I hit it great I'm 270-285. Other times its 230-250 especially in narrow Fairways when i take some off. Ill post videos of my driver, 3w and 9 iron and end it at tnat. If you don't believe me that's fine. I didn't register for this board to prove myself or lie about how great I am. Just get some tips on buying clubs and fittings

Don't even worry about the video. I have seen plenty of people hitting the way you do, and playing the game the same way. If you go to Brookside GC in Pasadena CA, you will note the number of people getting in your way as they had hit a long and off Fairway shot. The gullies are full of golf balls, and the locals make $20 to $50 just going down and picking them up for a quick sale up top. It takes a lot to score low, and not so much to hit far. Most people don't have time to practice to score low.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not saying this to be a dick, rather to help you gain some respect around here. If I were I'd remove your handicap from your profile and replace it with "??". If you're giving yourself improved lies and taking gimmes that's not a true handicap. I realize it's 25 right now so you're really not that great, but if you lower it in time and people remember you saying you give yourself good lies all the time you may lose a lot of respect.

Keep practicing this season and get your swing consistent and then start playing true golf next season and see how well you do. You may surprise yourself at how similar your scores are without improved lies.

I understand what your saying. For me right now I practice on the range and want to have fun on the course while learning. If Im in a divet right now I'd rather practice an approach shot from a stsndard lie. Saying my handicap was a mistake Seeing as many people here take handicaps very serious, which is why i disclosed the things i do That are illegal.

Originally Posted by Machmood

You guys crack me up. I don't hit my 3 wood off the deck dead Straignt? Friday I played with a 65 year old guy, wasn't long at all. On a 135 yard par 3 he hit an 8 iron and I hit my wedge as a reference . He hit his drives about 230-240. We both played bogey golf, although we were giving eachother some not so gimme putts. Whats so hard to believe about that. As far as fairways I hit i already said ill hit 3 out of bounds a round . I think the course i play has a lot to do with it. To me it seems very easy. Wide fairways to hit, greens aren't guarded etc. the course is twisted dunes in NJ. I've played a course called sea gate in south jersey and this course was much harder. I wil post a video of my irons and driver and u can be the judge. Is bogey golf with maybe 1 or 2 doubles really tnat hard?

if you are not counting all of your putts then you are not playing bogey golf.  come back when you have legitimately recorded bogey golf rounds.

Maybe this thread should be titled "20+...."?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I took one for the team today.  I took several actually, most on the front nine.  My longest drive out of 18 was 253.  I worked on the weight shift during my swing, both on the tee box as well as iron shots.  I swung the club a little easier and hit almost every drive straight on the back 9, with the exception of two pulls, both of which weren't too far off the fairway.  I'd like to bomb them out there with the rest of 'em, but if the shot is ill-directed more times than not, what good does it really do?  Back in town the 26th, so I can resume my every-other-day morning range sessions.  I'm going to put this new theory to task and see what kind of results I get.  If I can really settle in and swing a little harder through the ball, I'm hoping to be consistently around 270 with a much greater accuracy, as opposed to occasionally smoking one that goes where it's supposed to.

Now, about those 16 fairways... Over the years of playing (almost 40), there have been many, many courses that have only 1 par 3 per side. Several 9 holers have had just one par 3 and one par 5. True, the majority of courses have had 2, but it isn't a requirement for a good design. And anyway, it was just a point made to call out the situation at the time. You could probably take a poll on the site and lots of users would say their local has 1 per side, you might even get some that have 3. I actually played at least one that had 3 of each per side, and none were repeats. That was their calling card, so to speak. It was like 5,4,3,5,4,3,5,3,4 or something for each side. Sorry, I don't remember the name, but I think it was in Florida somewhere near Tampa

Originally Posted by RayG

Now, about those 16 fairways... Over the years of playing (almost 40), there have been many, many courses that have only 1 par 3 per side. Several 9 holers have had just one par 3 and one par 5. True, the majority of courses have had 2, but it isn't a requirement for a good design. And anyway, it was just a point made to call out the situation at the time. You could probably take a poll on the site and lots of users would say their local has 1 per side, you might even get some that have 3. I actually played at least one that had 3 of each per side, and none were repeats. That was their calling card, so to speak. It was like 5,4,3,5,4,3,5,3,4 or something for each side. Sorry, I don't remember the name, but I think it was in Florida somewhere near Tampa

I've played 25-30 courses (I know that isn't a lot, but I've played a lot of my golf in Colorado, and I've never played outside of the US) over 40 years and have never seen fewer than four par 3 holes, so for what I've seen, it's not common to short a course on the short holes.  I have played courses with more than 4 par 3 holes, and with fewer than 4 par 5 holes.  I've played a 9 hole course with five par 3 holes and four par 4's.  I know that there is no par standard for a golf course.  It's more rare for there to be fewer par 3 holes simply because most designers seem to have become accustomed to the basic par 72, 4-4-10 arrangement.  I know that most beginning golfers like par 3 holes and hate par 5's, because the perception is that it feels better to make a 5 or 6 on a par 3 than it does a 7 or 8 on a par 5.

It seems like if a designer has some extra space available, he is more likely to lengthen a par 4 into an extra par 5, or use the space for a couple of longer par 4's than he is to cut out a par 3.  That's my experience anyway.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Lihu

Maybe this thread should be titled "20+...."?

I think this thread should just go away!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

So I've been doing a lot of research and mathematical evaluation of "Claimed Internet Distances" versus "Handicap Level" and although my major in college was not mathematics I think I've come up with a relatively accurate equation on how to estimate one's true consistent distance versus their claimed "Internet Distance"

So here go's!

{(Claimed Internet Distance)(.90)} x {(100 - Claimed Handicap)(0.01)}

So,

A 20 handicap that claims they hammer it down the middle 300 yards works out to:

{(300)(.90)} x {(100 - 20)(0.01)} = 216 yards.

OK so maybe there wasn't a lot of research done but I would bet that my simple equation would be scary accurate in relation to what we all really see on the golf course!

And not to be biased for scratch players or lower I'll add the equation of (Claimed Internet Distance)(.98)

So for myself I claim I average 280 off the tee so in real life I hit it 274.4 yards! Which is pretty damn accurate!!!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by Parker0065

So I've been doing a lot of research and mathematical evaluation of "Claimed Internet Distances" versus "Handicap Level" and although my major in college was not mathematics I think I've come up with a relatively accurate equation on how to estimate ones true consistent distance versus their claimed "Internet Distance"

So here go's!

So,

A 20 handicap that claims they hammer it down the middle 300 yards works out to:

OK so maybe there wasn't a lot of research done but I would bet that my simple equation would be scary accurate in relation to what we all really see on the golf course!

That's probably a bit harsh. That would mean that "we" have a lot of sub 200 yd drives to average out the longer drives.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

That's probably a bit harsh. That would mean that "we" have a lot of sub 200 yd drives to average out the longer drives.

The entire post was in jest to some degree!

But I see a lot of young strong guy's who think they kill it, hit some pretty wild drives, and a very small percentage of fairways! All joking aside if you add up playable fairway drives versus wild ass sprayed shots my equation's probably aren't that far off.

But hey who am I to judge, most 20 handicappers that claim to drive it 300 yards think they hit playable awesome drives right down the middle every time!

In My Bag:

The entire post was in jest to some degree!

But I see a lot of young strong guy's who think they kill it, hit some pretty wild drives, and a very small percentage of fairways! All joking aside if you add up playable fairway drives versus wild ass sprayed shots my equation's probably aren't that far off.

But hey who am I to judge, most 20 handicappers that claim to drive it 300 yards think they hit playable awesome drives right down the middle every time!

Hmm.. Not sure I agree there either, but hey, I'm one of those 20+ cappers. I know I don't hit the ball great everytime, but I hardly ever hit a drive so bad it's less than 200 yds. I do, however, hit more than I should OB or under a tree :-P. In all honesty, with how short most of the par 4s are on my local courses I have no reason to hit a driver on most holes. This is one of the main reasons I'm actually looking at buying a 4 wood and 3 hybrid. I think we all hit driver way more than is necessary though, if we are honest with ourselves. I messed around hitting a hybrid or 5 iron off the tee some Saturday and had marginal success. The hybrid is regular flex so it wasn't really worthwhile to hit because it ballooned up too far, but the 5i worked out much better with about 210-215 distance from the tee leaving 150 or less to the shorter par 4s. I would rather have had a hybrid or 4 wood leave me with 100 yards but that wasn't an option.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

So I've been doing a lot of research and mathematical evaluation of "Claimed Internet Distances" versus "Handicap Level" and although my major in college was not mathematics I think I've come up with a relatively accurate equation on how to estimate one's true consistent distance versus their claimed "Internet Distance"

So here go's!

So,

And not to be biased for scratch players or lower I'll add the equation of (Claimed Internet Distance)(.98)

So for myself I claim I average 280 off the tee so in real life I hit it 274.4 yards! Which is pretty damn accurate!!!!!

I just did it in reverse, since I know my average drives are about 235 (with roll) and I am roughly a 20 HC. This means that I take 235/.8/.9=  326 yards.

If I use carry it would be 218/.8/.9= 302 yards or 31 yards past the PGA tour?

You're saying I should have an internet drive of about 302 yards and a carry plus roll of 326 yards? Whoa, that's good! ).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Originally Posted by Lihu

I just did it in reverse, since I know my average drives are about 235 (with roll) and I am roughly a 20 HC. This means that I take 235/.8/.9=  326 yards.

If I use carry it would be 218/.8/.9= 302 yards or 31 yards past the PGA tour?

You're saying I should have an internet drive of about 302 yards and a carry plus roll of 326 yards? Whoa, that's good! ).

Yes,,That is correct,,,,,,LOL!!!!!!

In My Bag:

I think its extremely rare for a 20 hcp to hit 300 yd drives, which should go without saying. I just played with a 18 hcp who can generate a lot of swing speed since he's tall and very athletic. He hit a couple pure which did not go more than 280 carry. Honestly no more than 1% of 20 hcps hit 300. 300 yd carry is really ****ing far for amateurs

Note: This thread is 1535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!