IGNORED

When do you pick up?

golf hungry
Note: This thread is 5670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Another thread got me thinking...
When do you decide to pick up in a friendly match?

This came in to play for me the 1st time in a while today. 1st drive OB, 2nd stripped then 1 in the water trying to get home in 2. Dropping 6, so p#@!ed off over fly the green from 30 yards. Chip to about 30 feet, and pick the ball up in disgust.
Driver Super Quad 10.5
3 Woodhibore xl
irons3-pw AP2
Wedges52 and 56 SV
PutterFuturaBall330-s

When playing with my friends where we basically play against ourselves I stop when I hit my esc max for the hole.

If we are talking smack about who is going to win or playing in a tournament we dont - but I have never had to take more than 10 on a hole - if we are talking smack and the course is jammed we have a preset agreement to pick up after 9 or 10 - it never comes to that until one of my friends has to take a 16 because he thought it was easier to play his ball buried under a tree stump instead of taking a stroke and distance penalty.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't pick up. I'll take my punishment. Even if it's a 12 or 13 (ugggh). Or worse, if it comes to that. A score that bad would come from hitting 3 or 5 or 7 off the tee probably. I'll usually not try to be a hero if I have already taken penalty strokes prior to having to decide whether or not to do something stupid with a shot.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I usually pick up my ball out of the hole . . .

But that's not what you meant, is it?

On the occasional blow-up hole, I pick up once I:

(a) exceed my E.S.C. for that hole; AND
(b) if continued play will delay the rest of my group or the group behind us.
Otherwise, I want to know what my raw score is.

On the occasional blow-up hole, I pick up once I:

Same here.

Sometimes it depends on what I am playing for. Many times we are playing a goofy team game so it is not necessary to hole out every time.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I never do I just play the other hole out.
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

Only when I'm to sick with disgust to play on. This usually happens once a round lol.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

we have always played double the par if your not putting yet. so a 6 on a par 3 / 8 strokes on a 4 / 10 on a 5. however, recently, I have ammended that to 3 over without putting yet. more then that and I think the group is not keeping pace any longer.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Once I know I won't shoot less than the max. Once it's that bad, all I'll do is dig myself in deeper (and I'm usually stuck in a bunker, anyway). At that point, it's best just to clear my head, remember it's just one hole, and get on with it.
WITB
Driver--PING Rhapsody, 16*
Fairway Wood--PING Rhapsody 22*
Hybrids--Cobra Bafflers, 3 (23*), 6 (32*)
Irons--Callaway X-20, 7-AW SW--Wilson ProstaffLW--Nancy LopezPutter--Bettinardi HawkBalls--Pinnacle Gold DistanceBags--Datrek IDS (cart), Sun Mountain 3.5 (carry)

we have always played double the par if your not putting yet. so a 6 on a par 3 / 8 strokes on a 4 / 10 on a 5. however, recently, I have ammended that to 3 over without putting yet. more then that and I think the group is not keeping pace any longer.

So if you are 3 over on a par 4 but you are still 50 yards off the green, what score do you write down (they have already taken 7 shots, have at least one more to get on and probably at least 2 putts - - - so that would be 10?)? Does the person who is on in 7 but is on the green but 60 feet away (very possible 3 putt) get to pick up too? You can amend the second person to being on in 6 if that's the way this rule works.

This is under the assuumption that you aren't using ESC.
My Equipment:
Northwestern 3-, 5-, 7- and 9-wood;
Goldwin AVDP Irons (5-10 plus PW);
U.S. Golf 60 degree wedge;
See-More Putter; Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 Rangefinder;Golflogix GPS.

I will continue to play as long as I am not making anyone wait too long.

Yup....same here.....don't want to hold up the group or anyone behind me.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• Administrator
I'll pick up when I reach double bogey in the modified stableford format we sometimes play. You get no points, so there's no point. Double is also my ESC.

In regular play, I tend to lose interest really quickly after I reach double bogey. Won't count for my handicap.

Those times tend to be pretty rare though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Another thread got me thinking...

Unless it's match play and I've clearly lost the hole, or a team format and I'm out of the hole, I don't pick up ever. But I only very, very rarely make double digit scores on holes either, and that is the only time I'd really be inclined to pick up. Even if I'm only playing for handicap and the score would have to be adjusted for ESC, I still want to know what I really shot. I've started a round bad, then recovered for good score (quad bogey 8 on 3rd hole, finished with an 80), so I want to know for myself that it's a legitimate score.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 5670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!