IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit my driver 195-205 yards on average.  I've hit it as far as 220 yards.

I hit my pitching wedge 90-95 yards very accurately.

Most guys I play with hit about the same.

Here is the breakdown I use to plan for play:

DR 195

4W 175

7W 150

9W 140

6I 130

7I 120

8I 110

9I 100

PW 90

GW 80

SW 60

LW 50

It works for me.

• 2 weeks later...
D: 260 3w: 235 3h: 212 4i: 199 5i: 188 6i: 177 7i: 166 8i: 154 9i: 142 PW: 129 AW: 114 SW: 98

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

D: 215

3w: 205

3h: 170

4h: 160

5h: 150

6i: 140

7i: 130

8i: 120

9i: 110

pw: 100

gw: 90

sw: 80

lw: 70

On my home course I don't get to tee off with my 3 wood so my off the deck yardage with that is anywhere from 160 to 190 yards.

D: 240 flight, 265 total

FW: None - RECOMMENDATIONS?

3h: 200

5i: 180

6i: 170

7i: 150

8i: 140

9i: 130

pw: 120

gw: Use as chipping wedge

sw: None - RECOMMENDATIONS?

Thank you, great thread!

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

This thread never ceases to amaze me, either 80% of people here play every hole downhill, on the moon, can't hit a wedge or 3 putt every hole . Either that or they're lying about distances or their handicap. I've NEVER seen anyone playing off 12 or higher carry a driver 250 (ever, not talking about average) or a 7I 170 (unless de-lofting).

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

This thread never ceases to amaze me, either 80% of people here play every hole downhill, on the moon, can't hit a wedge or 3 putt every hole . Either that or they're lying about distances or their handicap.

I've NEVER seen anyone playing off 12 or higher carry a driver 250 (ever, not talking about average) or a 7I 170 (unless de-lofting).

I'd have to disagree! I'm a most definite 28 handicap (too many blow up holes / lost balls - not just with driver) but I'm averaging a total driver distance of 250-260 with the occasional perfect hit that carries that far (reached centre of green on short part 4 of 290 yards last week). Call away V Series driver being so light has added maybe 5mph SS so I'd guess I'm around 100. However I won't get my handicap down until I get rid of an over the top swing problem with my irons. 7 iron carry is more like 150-160 (145 with range balls).

There must be plenty more like me...

Callaway Big Bertha V Series 10.5 Driver stiff shaft
Benross Hot Speed 16 deg 3 fw
Callaway XR 22 deg hybrid
Callaway XR 25 deg hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha 6-pw
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 48/54/60 wedges
Odyssey White Hot Pro Havok

I'd have to disagree! I'm a most definite 28 handicap (too many blow up holes / lost balls - not just with driver) but I'm averaging a total driver distance of 250-260 with the occasional perfect hit that carries that far (reached centre of green on short part 4 of 290 yards last week). Call away V Series driver being so light has added maybe 5mph SS so I'd guess I'm around 100. However I won't get my handicap down until I get rid of an over the top swing problem with my irons. 7 iron carry is more like 150-160 (145 with range balls).

Sounds like TimS65 and I are very similar. I don't know what the big deal is about driving 250 yards. Now having it go where I want it to go is another story. I had one perfect drive a month ago that rolled to 265. Since then had many more go who knows where.

- adam -

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

This thread never ceases to amaze me, either 80% of people here play every hole downhill, on the moon, can't hit a wedge or 3 putt every hole . Either that or they're lying about distances or their handicap.

I've NEVER seen anyone playing off 12 or higher carry a driver 250 (ever, not talking about average) or a 7I 170 (unless de-lofting).

Agree, the average distance directly correlates to your handicap. If you can carry 250, you would have the ability to hit a more controlled 235 carry which usually translates to 255-275 yards with roll. the same person would be able to carry a Pw 125+ yards. Missing greens by a lot with a wedge to 9i is pretty hard to fathom. They should be getting at least a near green from 125-150 yards and in. Even terrible putting and short game would take extra effort to shoot doubles on more than one or two holes a round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWev

Not impossible but rare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimS65

Sounds like TimS65 and I are very similar. I don't know what the big deal is about driving 250 yards. Now having it go where I want it to go is another story. I had one perfect drive a month ago that rolled to 265. Since then had many more go who knows where.

Carrying an average 250 yard drive consistently takes about a 110 mph SS. This is because you need to include mishits which easily take off 20 yards. This means that your nutted shots are more like 270 yard carries. This is not that common for a higher handicap.

EDIT: Carry is defined as air time.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think he's talking about carry as in air time. I'm up and down from 15, play with similar players. Some guys can really tag it. 250 total. But never 250 air time.  Nobody I have ever played with in 20 years has ever sent a 7i 170, and that includes club pros.

Maybe I'm measuring drives incorrectly. Irons I know because of yardage to hole. I know one time I used my phone's GPS on a drive and it was ~250. Another the hole was 276 and my drive was about 10 yards from the pin. So not sure how I'd know what the carry was. Suggestions?

- adam -

Maybe I'm measuring drives incorrectly. Irons I know because of yardage to hole. I know one time I used my phone's GPS on a drive and it was ~250. Another the hole was 276 and my drive was about 10 yards from the pin. So not sure how I'd know what the carry was. Suggestions?

Forced carries, it either makes it over or not.

Google earth a bunch of forced carries over water at increasing distances keep hitting balls until you get a splash. The distance less than "splash" is your carry. Then do it like something more than 10 times. That's roughly your average carry.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This is getting way complicated. And if you need google is it worth it? Being "long enough" is important. After that it only leads to trouble unless you're on the pro tour.

I think he's talking about carry as in air time. I'm up and down from 15, play with similar players. Some guys can really tag it. 250 total. But never 250 air time.  Nobody I have ever played with in 20 years has ever sent a 7i 170, and that includes club pros.

Well I played a few TST SoCal tourneys before I moved.  I know I played with 3-4 guys who hit 7i 170 yards+.  And I do it.  And my best golfing buddy does it.  And he's maybe 5'9" with a paunch...

But I agree there are a bunch of distance cards on here that I've never seen in person.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

The only distances that matter are carries imo, measuring total is pretty pointless due to course variance. It's wise to be able to calculate total. A 15+ capper with <100mph swing speed hitting a 9 degree driver, 4 deg down, 10 deg out to in, with a 0 deg face, out of the heel and slicing into the woods/ next fairway isn't averaging more than 210 carry. This is most of the drives I see on every course I've played. They might get lucky with a 220 carry and a 50 yard roll 1/18, that's a long way from average. The other 6 that go in the woods @ 180 count too. The 7I fler out of the rough that bounces on the front of the green at 140 and rolls through the back to 180 didn't carry 170 either. This is why I love launch monitors for carries and Game Golf for totals, cuts all of this out, just wish there was a way with game golf to discount swings from averages (50% of my shots are gripped down a tad or 3/4 swings). I drive further now by gripping down two inches (strike miles better) and swinging 5mph slower. I've had some drives out to 230 carry with up to 268 total and I now swing driver at about 100mph. My average is more like 220-230 total in UK (don't get much roll) according to GG stats. There's some oddballs in there though (176y 8I?) over last 5 rounds [ATTACHMENT=413]image.jpg (194k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] I think with full shots I'm (carry): D 200 av carry, good ones carry 225-230 3W ? 3 Hy 120-190??? 4I never used 5I 150? - don't use it as very erratic 6I 160? - rolls to 180, didn't use it much, just started too really 7I 150? - stats reflect lower as tend to grip down more 8I 140? 9I 130? W 120? 50 deg Don't use for full shots due to low bounce SW 90 always grip down 58 deg don't use for full shots due to low bounce 64 60 if hit well, 30-80 if I thin it Made some big improvements with long game recently so need a gap test really. Not really reflected in my scores as I've not been practicing my short game, putting and bunker play has been a joke.

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

This thread never ceases to amaze me, either 80% of people here play every hole downhill, on the moon, can't hit a wedge or 3 putt every hole . Either that or they're lying about distances or their handicap. I've NEVER seen anyone playing off 12 or higher carry a driver 250 (ever, not talking about average) or a 7I 170 (unless de-lofting).

Or sculling it 300 yards... There are 4 phases to the game basically... Driving and Approach Shots 60 yards- Driver Carry distance... Short game motion shots 1-60 yards and putting... This thread also says average distances, doesn't say a damn thing about direction... My boss is a 20 something hdcp and he Drives it over 300 yards, just not straight... (He hits it with a hockey slapshot type swing and hits the hell out of it] but he's in the next fairway over usually...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

D: 260 3w: 235 3h: 212 4i: 199 5i: 188 6i: 177 7i: 166 8i: 154 9i: 142 PW: 129 AW: 114 SW: 98

I just realized I messed up this update a little bit: I should be, Driver: 240 3-wood: 220 3-hybrid: 205 4-hybrid: 195 4-iron: 190 5-iron: 180 6-iron: 167 7-iron: 156 8-iron: 145 9-iron: 135 PW: 123 AW: 107 SW: 91

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I can carry my 9 iron 160, i use a my 7 iron from about 175. And thats pretty much all carry. I have a horrible. Hook or slice with my driver, but it still carries 220 with the slice. If i hit it right its carrying over 270. I dont have an official handicap but score low 90s no high 80s.

In the chart below I blocked in the distances that matches my average very closely

Note: This thread is 993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!