IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

These are typical good drives, not averages, because nobody averages 5-10 yards less than their max. Nobody.

These are good drives, but with a fade or draw remember. Not just my max and minimum. I can, if I try hard enough and accuracy is at a minimum, possibly get it in the high 250s, but then again I can wimp out and only drive it 225 so remember I just said for a draw/fade, not my max or min

In My Bag..

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 9.5* Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Taylormade Burner 2009 15* Stiff GraphiteShaft
5 Wood: Powerbilt Oversized 21* Stiff Steel Shaft
3-PW Irons: Cleveland 588 Forged MB Irons with Stiff Shaft
SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 2009 56* wedge with 14* of bounce, Stiff Steel Shaft

LW: N/A yet
Putter: Taylormade Monte Carlo 7 -34" with Superstroke 3.0 Slim grip
Ball: Titleist NXT Tour

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Atleast to the adjacent fairway

Then you aren't trying hard enough.  I have, at least one time, put one two fairways over.  The people playing that hole really looked at mefunny when they saw me aiming the same direction as them.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Kevin18

Quote:

Quote:

These are typical good drives, not averages, because nobody averages 5-10 yards less than their max. Nobody.

These are good drives, but with a fade or draw remember. Not just my max and minimum. I can, if I try hard enough and accuracy is at a minimum, possibly get it in the high 250s, but then again I can wimp out and only drive it 225 so remember I just said for a draw/fade, not my max or min

You said, "on average". You even put it in the title. I was adding some clarification, which you've also done. I was correct that you meant your typical good drives.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Fore Left

Quote:

You've inspired me to put my Hawkeye in the bag for a couple rounds. I loved that driver!!

I like it....  I just see pretty much EVERYONE I play with using these new 'tin-cans on a stick'  and the ball just explodes off of them.   I'm not buying into the latest/greatest,  but I am going to see what new advances there have been in the last 12-15 years!!!!!

For kicks,  I looked up my driver  (it has a Pro-Force 75 extra stiff shaft)  and I discovered it's basically worthless on the secondary market,  so I'll gift it to a new golfer  (a new golfer looking for an 8* extra stiff driver at least!)

I remember now why this isn't in my bag - it's got a rattle in the head.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think everybody understood he was talking about the average length of our good drives. You are just nitpicking to get at him.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I'd say 250-255 average in the fairway, I was at golfsmith testing one of the Cleveland classic drivers and after 25 drives I was right at 250 but the first 5 swings were just warm ups in high 80's low 90's. Top end club head speed had me at 102 and furthst drive was 281.

Originally Posted by obsessedgolfer

It looks as if most of the people posting are lieing because the average male golfer hits 218 yards and most of the people say they hit 250-300.

I was thinking the same thing. lol

I only hit it about 200 with a driver - sometimes more but that is my estimation of the AVERAGE on lush fairways - ( not in the dead of summer on hard pan) .

Playing in tournaments in mixed groups - I'm just as long as many guys and in the top 5% of gals my age in the country club circuit.  (Young girls being the exception on distance).

Depending on fade or draw, harder or finessed - I can go +/- 10 yards with every club in my bag easily.

D - 200

3W - 190

5W - 180

1H - 170

7W - 160

*150 can be an easy 7W for all carry, or a hard (or draw) 5i

5i - 140

6i - 130

7i - 120

8i - 110

9i - 100

PW - 90

SW - 60-80

LW - 10-60

I hope everyone realizes that there is math invovled when it comes to how far you hit your clubs...meaning on the average if someone hits a 7 iron 150yds (on the avg)...then their max drive "carry" (on the avg figuring 45/46 inch driver, etc..) should be around 255 yds...it is math based on club length, club angle and swing speed...it cracks me up when someone says they hit drives 285-300 and they only hit their 7 iron 135 yds...there is no friggin way!  Oh yeah one day with a strong wind behind you and in the winter so you got a bunch of roll (or hit the cart path and did not relaize it) you may have hit a drive that ended up that far but the math doesnt work???

I also would challenege many people on this thread that say they hit their 7 irons 150 yds to hit ten shots and seriously measure them out to see that (on the avg) they hit their 7 iron 150yds???

Point being that sometimes I play with a 20 handicap and he always says he hits his 5 iron 190 yds...that would mean he hits his 7 iron (on the avg) 166yds and his average drive should be around 268yds...first of all I avg 235-240 off the tee with a strong 3 wood and I out drive him 90% of the time...so if we back into his 5 iron distance based on his drives being 240 (on the avg) then his average 5 iron = 162yds...do the math!

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Originally Posted by i-Guy

I hope everyone realizes that there is math invovled when it comes to how far you hit your clubs...meaning on the average if someone hits a 7 iron 150yds (on the avg)...then their max drive "carry" (on the avg figuring 45/46 inch driver, etc..) should be around 255 yds...it is math based on club length, club angle and swing speed...it cracks me up when someone says they hit drives 285-300 and they only hit their 7 iron 135 yds...there is no friggin way!  Oh yeah one day with a strong wind behind you and in the winter so you got a bunch of roll (or hit the cart path and did not relaize it) you may have hit a drive that ended up that far but the math doesnt work???

I also would challenege many people on this thread that say they hit their 7 irons 150 yds to hit ten shots and seriously measure them out to see that (on the avg) they hit their 7 iron 150yds???

Point being that sometimes I play with a 20 handicap and he always says he hits his 5 iron 190 yds...that would mean he hits his 7 iron (on the avg) 166yds and his average drive should be around 268yds...first of all I avg 235-240 off the tee with a strong 3 wood and I out drive him 90% of the time...so if we back into his 5 iron distance based on his drives being 240 (on the avg) then his average 5 iron = 162yds...do the math!

People who cheat and flip the club through impact can hit long drivers and still have shorter length with their irons.  Your buddy probably has this flip.  Probably hits the ball low on the face.  I would also imagine he's 1 or 2 irons longer off a tee than off the ground.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

People who cheat and flip the club through impact can hit long drivers and still have shorter length with their irons.  Your buddy probably has this flip.  Probably hits the ball low on the face.  I would also imagine he's 1 or 2 irons longer off a tee than off the ground.

Good point and there are many mitigating factors in each swing but like I said "on the average" but seriously if this guy can barely hit his drives 240 (which it is more like 210-220) how the heck can he average 190 with a 5 iron???  Plus I have him seen him hit his 5 iron on many occassions and maybe one of fifteen went around 180-190...so his average is more like 165-175...but every time he gets to 190 he pulls it out and swings like a mad man...one out of fifteen times is not good enough odds to be successful...I try to talk to him about this but he doesn't want to hear it...like most people...it took me a while to swallow my pride and say I dont hit a 6 iron 200 yards because I did a couple of times...I play my 6 iron at around 165-170...and I had my handciap down to 6 earlier this year...just saying!

Good point and there are many mitigating factors in each swing but like I said "on the average" but seriously if this guy can barely hit his drives 240 (which it is more like 210-220) how the heck can he average 190 with a 5 iron???  Plus I have him seen him hit his 5 iron on many occassions and maybe one of fifteen went around 180-190...so his average is more like 165-175...but every time he gets to 190 he pulls it out and swings like a mad man...one out of fifteen times is not good enough odds to be successful...I try to talk to him about this but he doesn't want to hear it...like most people...it took me a while to swallow my pride and say I dont hit a 6 iron 200 yards because I did a couple of times...I play my 6 iron at around 165-170...and I had my handciap down to 6 earlier this year...just saying!

I agree with you on the short driver and long irons.  I rarely if ever see someone who can hit a mid iron long and then have trouble hitting their driver past 250.

my driver swing feels completely different than my iron swing (although i do fit into your 7 iron 150/driver 250 formula). my driver is pretty much gung ho, crank it up and let it fly, while my irons are smooth and easy.

and i couldn't tell you if i lined up 10 shots where they would end up, i just pull a 7 when i have 145-155 and i end up pretty close to pin high when i get up to it. without using a launch monitor (which can have subjective settings) how would you actually figure your distance? my range is in 50' intervals and wouldn't you have to hit your own ball to be sure?

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by tiger187126

my driver swing feels completely different than my iron swing (although i do fit into your 7 iron 150/driver 250 formula). my driver is pretty much gung ho, crank it up and let it fly, while my irons are smooth and easy.

and i couldn't tell you if i lined up 10 shots where they would end up, i just pull a 7 when i have 145-155 and i end up pretty close to pin high when i get up to it. without using a launch monitor (which can have subjective settings) how would you actually figure your distance? my range is in 50' intervals and wouldn't you have to hit your own ball to be sure?

Yes, you'd have to hit your own balls that you regularly play with.  Likely on a flat area with neutral wind.  You'd need a laser or some sort of accurate measuring device.  You'd probably need to hit at least 10 balls with each club taking out some of the longest and shortest, averaging the rest.  I really doubt most people do this.  Honestly I don't know my exact yardages.  The courses I play have hills and wind.  For me it's about feel.  I take the yardage into account, the elements, the terrain, and what I see.  As far as driver, I'm not overly concerned with how far I hit it.  If there is a forced layup, sharp dogleg, or a fairway that narrows at a certain distance, I'll likely take something other than a driver off the tee.  If that trouble is inside 250 yards I'll go with something shorter than a 3 wood.

Originally Posted by tiger187126

Yeah it is not easy to do at a busy driving range and could take a lot of time to do on the course itself but how else do you know "really' how far you hit each club...Dave Peltz talks about doing this with your wedges to know your distances for each wedge with a 7 o'clock, 9 o'clock and 11o'clock swings and then write them down so you know how far each club goes with each level of swing...I guess what my original post was trying to say is that before people go off stating that they hit a club a certain distance they should check their math...some of the ones I read on here don't make sense based on the math so I am assuming (you know what they say about assuming) that they are speculating based on the best shot they ever hit or guessing...I have done some of this testing (no one else at my range but me) using my balls and a GPS and have found that on the avg I dont hit the ball as far as I thought but if you can do this avergae test (10 balls and average them out) with a 5 iron and then use this website once you figure out your 5 iron average distance to tell you how far you hit the rest of your clubs...make sure you fill out the top part honestly... http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfclubdistancecalce.html

Yeah it is not easy to do at a busy driving range and could take a lot of time to do on the course itself but how else do you know "really' how far you hit each club...

This brings up a question I have about driving range balls.  Is there any accounting for their quality in terms of judging distance?  I go to the same driving range 3-4 times per week that has mechanical range stalls.  In other words, the tees are the same distance from the target flags every day.  I have always struggled getting my 8i to the 150 pin.  Only the best of my best swings typically get it there if there is no headwind.  However, on the course, I have hit my 8i 150 often.  I even hit my 9i 142-145 range a couple of times.  I just don't get it.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Yeah it is not easy to do at a busy driving range and could take a lot of time to do on the course itself but how else do you know "really' how far you hit each club...Dave Peltz talks about doing this with your wedges to know your distances for each wedge with a 7 o'clock, 9 o'clock and 11o'clock swings and then write them down so you know how far each club goes with each level of swing...I guess what my original post was trying to say is that before people go off stating that they hit a club a certain distance they should check their math...some of the ones I read on here don't make sense based on the math so I am assuming (you know what they say about assuming) that they are speculating based on the best shot they ever hit or guessing...I have done some of this testing (no one else at my range but me) using my balls and a GPS and have found that on the avg I dont hit the ball as far as I thought but if you can do this avergae test (10 balls and average them out) with a 5 iron and then use this website once you figure out your 5 iron average distance to tell you how far you hit the rest of your clubs...make sure you fill out the top part honestly...http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfclubdistancecalce.html

I think you may be stressing the 5 iron too much. A 5 iron is a long iron and is even tough for people with slow swing speeds to hit. I personally really lay off my 5. 7 is the longest club I can "go after"

Like somebody else said, every club kind of has a different swing. I hit my wedges differently than my short irons. short irons different than my mid irons. I have all but given up on long irons unless its off a tee. Driver is completely different everything than Irons. Id say personally my driver is shorter than where it should be after what you said about a 7 iron going 166.

There is just alot of assuming based on peoples distances and I think people are caring way too much about other peoples distances. Let there score or handicap show how they play and if they are lying about that and it ever has effect on you than you can call them out on it. We arent having a who can drive the farthest based on what we say contest here on the sand trap.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

There is just alot of assuming based on peoples distances and I think people are caring way too much about other peoples distances. Let there score or handicap show how they play and if they are lying about that and it ever has effect on you than you can call them out on it. We arent having a who can drive the farthest based on what we say contest here on the sand trap.

I agree...the same 20 handicap I mentioned above I play with sometimes continues to not udnerstand that golf is not a game of how far you hit the ball or how perfect your swing looks but yet how you SCORE!!! For instance we got paired one day with this young kid who killed the ball off the tee but had a very questionable short game (chipping and putting)...my 20 handicap buddy just marveled all day at this kids tee shots and when we got done and the kid left my buddy looks at me and says man that guy was awesome...he shot a 79...I looked at my buddy and said "yeah nice swing" oh by the way I shot 78..he looked at me like I was lying???  I guess because getting up and down from everywhere is not as exciting as hitting drives 280 yards...

Note: This thread is 990 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!