IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Realistically, if you hit it that far, you would rarely mishit one 200.  But, yeah, to average 320, you'd have to be in the 290-350 range on the bell curve.  That's elite company.

I knew a guy that could knock the bejesus out of the ball distance wise, but couldn't chip/pitch/putt to save his life.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I knew a guy that could knock the bejesus out of the ball distance wise, but couldn't chip/pitch/putt to save his life.

I'm fairly certain EVERYONE knows someone that fits that description.

My #1 playing partner is exactly like that. 275+ yard drives, but is now playing worse than me. We played a par 68 last week, and he shot 88 to my 84.

oh, and to answer the question: I once had one measured at 216. I probably max out at 220.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

Realistically, if you hit it that far, you would rarely mishit one 200.  But, yeah, to average 320, you'd have to be in the 290-350 range on the bell curve.  That's elite company.

When I post my averages here, I definitely eliminate duffs. Otherwise my 5 iron would average 73.2 yards lol.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Lash

Yeah I get that there are different factors. But it's easy to state your actual distances and your age or whatever you think makes you unique.

I'm just curious if most people are hitting it farther than me by a lot, when they are being honest.

I've been thinking I might need to focus on hitting it longer rather than just being accurate, because I think most people hit their clubs longer than I do.

Lash, unless you are super short, accuracy wins, hands down.......  And golfers tend to be just like fishermen in some respects.  ;)

Originally Posted by fishbig36

Lash, unless you are super short, accuracy wins, hands down.......  And golfers tend to be just like fishermen in some respects.  ;)

Couldn't agree more. I've been averaging about 280-290 on my drives...some longer, some shorter, but I'd trade that for 230-250 straight down the middle. :/

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Couldn't agree more. I've been averaging about 280-290 on my drives...some longer, some shorter, but I'd trade that for 230-250 straight down the middle. :/

None of the ranges around here have very good measurement markers, but next time I play I am going to use my gps and try to get some distances on my drives.

I have only played one round with my Rocketballz driver and only been to the range twice. I hit it low so I should get some good roll, and I *think* I'm going to average around 200 with the roll right now. That's not long, but I have been hitting it very straight and the one round I played I hit 9/14 fairways, and the first two misses were pulls that were the first two times I ever hit the ball with that driver. If I can average 10 fairways hit a round, I feel ok at 200 yards. Especially since I have been hitting my 3 wood around 170-180. That should get me to the green in 2 on most par 4s. and 3 on par 5s.

Originally Posted by Lash

I hit it low so I should get some good roll, and I *think* I'm going to average around 200 with the roll right now.

Maybe that's why you're not getting enough distance. What loft do you have it set to? Maybe you're not carrying it enough.

Mine is set to 8, and I have no issue blasting it in the air, but the guy I play with most has his at 10.5 and we get about the same distance...have you tried messing with that to see the results?

Ryan M

The question was about averages, which is not selective or about potential.  Those of you that have “bad” or “high” handicaps do not possess the tools to average 275 (let alone 300).  That’s not me being critical, that’s just basically about mechanics and ability.  A snap hook off the toe or a can of corn off the crown all count towards your average people.  I have no doubt that when “you really catch it” you can get distances in excess of 300 but you ARE NOT doing this on a consistent basis.  Perhaps its internet ego, perhaps is a lack of understanding the word average, or perhaps its your inability to accurately measure a drive…..but I’d be willing to bet a round of golf that 95% of you that claim obscene averages don’t come close.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Maybe that's why you're not getting enough distance. What loft do you have it set to? Maybe you're not carrying it enough.

Mine is set to 8, and I have no issue blasting it in the air, but the guy I play with most has his at 10.5 and we get about the same distance...have you tried messing with that to see the results?

I got a driver recently, used, that is 10.5 and I think it's way too much loft as my drives get a lot of air. I'm still carrying about 240 easily but I don't think I'm getting much roll. At this point I can't afford another driver so I'm just going to tee it lower.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Originally Posted by Bump-n-MI

The question was about averages, which is not selective or about potential.  Those of you that have “bad” or “high” handicaps do not possess the tools to average 275 (let alone 300).  That’s not me being critical, that’s just basically about mechanics and ability.  A snap hook off the toe or a can of corn off the crown all count towards your average people.  I have no doubt that when “you really catch it” you can get distances in excess of 300 but you ARE NOT doing this on a consistent basis.  Perhaps its internet ego, perhaps is a lack of understanding the word average, or perhaps its your inability to accurately measure a drive…..but I’d be willing to bet a round of golf that 95% of you that claim obscene averages don’t come close.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I specified that I don't count terrible mishits. Mishits, yes...but if I pop it up 60 yards or completely top it (VERY rarely happens)...I get rid of that from my average. Even a mishit with the driver goes 225-230. High handicap doesn't necessarily correlate with distance. The guy I go with averages about 260 on his drives...some more, some less. I have never seen him misshit his driver and have it go under 220 or so. And I beat him all the time.

Ryan M

My last driver was 10.5, and I hit it way too high and it was hurting my distance. This one is a 9.5. I tried to set it slightly higher and was slicing badly and hitting it too high. I actually ended up setting it down one setting and I hit the ball much straighter and even though it isn't real high it is going a lot further. Maybe I should find more medium ground combining that distance with a little more air to let it carry more but for now I am happy with staying on the fairway and being a decent distance.

I really don't think it's my club, I think it's me. For one, I am 6'-2" and about 180 pounds so I'm not exactly one to muscle the ball up there. Furthermore, I am still learning my swing to stay straight so I really don't put a lot of effort into swinging too hard because I am trying to focus on hitting it straight consistently. I'm hoping that once I have played a little longer with this driver and feel comfortable hitting it straight without trying, I can do some stuff to try and get a little harder swing and add some distance.

Drives: 250 straight high with a slight fade

3 wood: 200-225 fade

2 hybrid: 200-225 (go figure, I'm still trying to) fade

4 hybrid: 180-190 fade

5 iron: 180

6 iron: 170

7 iron: 160

8 iron: 155

9 iron: 145

Pitch (48* Vokey): 130

Gap (52* V): 118

Sand (56* V): 89

Lob 60* V): 60-70

With my pitch-lob wedges I hit based on feel and it works very well for me.  My biggest problem is discrepancies between my 6, 7, and 8 irons.  There is a distance drop from 9i to pitch because I have had my favorite scoring wedges (vokeys) shortened.  Has worked very well for my wedge shots.

Originally Posted by Bump-n-MI

LOL, too funny.  Athleticism, flexibility, and strength ABSOLUTELY contribute to swing speed.  Those attributes coupled with a fundamentally sound swing ultimately decide how far you are going to hit the ball.

Leave out the other variables like wind, elevation, hardness of fairways, etc….

I’ve heard the television adds like 15 lbs…..i think the internet adds about 30 yards

More like 60 in some cases!

But I'm just jealous I can't hit it that far. ;-(

Quote:

My last driver was 10.5, and I hit it way too high and it was hurting my distance. This one is a 9.5. I tried to set it slightly higher and was slicing badly and hitting it too high. I actually ended up setting it down one setting and I hit the ball much straighter and even though it isn't real high it is going a lot further. Maybe I should find more medium ground combining that distance with a little more air to let it carry more but for now I am happy with staying on the fairway and being a decent distance.

I really don't think it's my club, I think it's me. For one, I am 6'-2" and about 180 pounds so I'm not exactly one to muscle the ball up there. Furthermore, I am still learning my swing to stay straight so I really don't put a lot of effort into swinging too hard because I am trying to focus on hitting it straight consistently. I'm hoping that once I have played a little longer with this driver and feel comfortable hitting it straight without trying, I can do some stuff to try and get a little harder swing and add some distance.

I think it is the opposite. Im 5'8" 135 and I can muscle it out there about 275 with a 7.5 degree driver. Im also in high school so i can make a huge shoulder turn which can make me inconsistent but that is besides the point.

Sam Gray

Whats in my :ping: Ping Hoofer Carry Bag?
Driver: :ping: Ping G25 9.5*    Shaft: Graphite Design AD DI 7x
3 Wood: :callaway: Callaway X HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5       Shaft: Diamana Blue Board 83x
Hybrid: :adams:
 Adams A12 prototype 20*  Shaft: Aldila Rip NV blue prototype 80x
3 iron--Pitching Wedge: :mizuno: MP-64 irons 1* flat      Shafts: KBS Tour Stiff 
Wedges: :cleveland: 588 Forged 54 degree 12 degree bounce and 61 degree 9 degrees bounce   
Putter: :ping: Ping Karsten 1959 Anser 2

I think it is the opposite. Im 5'8" 135 and I can muscle it out there about 275 with a 7.5 degree driver. Im also in high school so i can make a huge shoulder turn which can make me inconsistent but that is besides the point.

The day you graduate high school your shoulders stop turning..?

Originally Posted by TJBam

The day you graduate high school your shoulders stop turning..?

Mine stopped turning when I graduated from the 8th grade.

Note: This thread is 976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!