IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"on some days".

There is a difference between a good day, and an average.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

I've never seen a 28 cap AVERAGE numbers like that.  I'm a 12.6, on trackman I can hit 10 drives, 6 will be solid, about 260 total, 2 will be great, 285-290 and 2 will be 230.  That's still an average of 255-260.  Most 28 cappers I've seen, will hit 2 solid ones, 1 great, and 7 so-so.  But then again, you might have just improved so much since your last round.  If these numbers are close to correct, with consistency they imply, your handicap should drop like a bomb when you start playing again.

Let´s hope it does, having too high is not good for reputation, I see. I have been accused sandbagger several times last autumn already. First time I had relatively good defence - 4 days old green card.

In last competition of season I made 37 stableford points. It was 2 clubs only -competition, I was armed with 6I and PW.

By the looks of it you hit a lot of FAT SHOTS on grass...follow sean foley weight transfer drill..you will do much better than anything that is out there..I know it helped me..Gave me a lot of confidence with my irons...PLAY SMART AND EARN A FULL SWING..till you are comfortable with irons NEVER ATTEMPT A FULL SWING

By the looks of it you hit a lot of FAT SHOTS on grass...follow sean foley weight transfer drill..you will do much better than anything that is out there..I know it helped me..Gave me a lot of confidence with my irons...PLAY SMART AND EARN A FULL SWING..till you are comfortable with irons NEVER ATTEMPT A FULL SWING

I am sorry, Rahul, I do not understand, probably due my incomplete English skills, since it´s not my native language. What do You mean by fat shots on grass, You mean that the club hit the grass? The balls were laying on 31/4 tee stick, a grass shot was highly unlikely.

By looking at your trackman data..you are good trajectory and distance and not so much offline from the target...but that is from an artificial turf...keeps me thinking why you are struggling with to break 100...Please tell me if this is you on the golf course...

You know your your Pitching wedge goes 130 yards...and you are standing 130 yards from the front of the green and you take out PW and take a Full swing at it..and ball only goes 70 yards in the front bunker or you just pulled it 30 yards to the left..and now you are looking at a double bogey or triple at best.and you look at the divot..You hit the Ground first and then the ball..so all your energy transferred to the ground before you made a contact with the ball. The problem with us is we take too little club and try to kill the golf ball with it...change your thining..you will change your score..take and 8Iron and swing 40% at it...you will clear the bunker safely into green 2 put for par or at worse double..make it easy on you..I had the same issue take one or two extra club swing 50%-70%..You will break 100 in the next round..I promise you

Try it for 1 round ..EVERY CLUB SWING 50% (DRIVER THROUGH LW, regardless of what the situation is or score is, JUST PLAY YOUR OWN GAME REGARDLESS OF WHAT OTHERs ARE DOING)...You will build your confidence and will more accurate with your shots

ALSO..stay away from TRACKMAN for a while develop a feel for distances..you hit with each iron with 50% swing...ANYWAY TILL YOU ARE single digit handicap..NOT ONCE WHILE PLAYING A ROUND SHOULD YOU ATTEMPT A FULL SWING....I know it works..its working for me (Saved 10 strokes in first round, and never looked at a 87 since then on my score card). PLAY A VERY CONSERVATIVE GOLF till you are ready for aggression

ALSO..stay away from TRACKMAN for a while develop a feel for distances..you hit with each iron with 50% swing...ANYWAY TILL YOU ARE single digit handicap..NOT ONCE WHILE PLAYING A ROUND SHOULD YOU ATTEMPT A FULL SWING....I know it works..its working for me (Saved 10 strokes in first round, and never looked at a 87 since then on my score card). PLAY A VERY CONSERVATIVE GOLF till you are ready for aggression

Raul,

Remember that what works for you has a very little probability of working for someone else.  That's why taking lessons usually works better for an individual than looking at some videos online.  Again, it is different for everyone.  I, for example, never learned how to hit a ball 50%, I still have no clue how to achieve that.  I can slow my tempo down, and it feels slower, but the ball travels just as far.

I do agree that trackman distances should not be used on the golf course.  But I am sure goatlord will quickly learn his new distances once he gets outside and plays a few rounds.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2 Cobra Bio Cell+ Callaway Razr Hawk 3W TaylorMade SLDR 19H Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-AW Scor 55 & 60 (Wedges)

By looking at your trackman data..you are good trajectory and distance and not so much offline from the target...but that is from an artificial turf...keeps me thinking why you are struggling with to break 100...Please tell me if this is you on the golf course...

You know your your Pitching wedge goes 130 yards...and you are standing 130 yards from the front of the green and you take out PW and take a Full swing at it..and ball only goes 70 yards in the front bunker or you just pulled it 30 yards to the left..and now you are looking at a double bogey or triple at best.and you look at the divot..You hit the Ground first and then the ball..so all your energy transferred to the ground before you made a contact with the ball. The problem with us is we take too little club and try to kill the golf ball with it...change your thining..you will change your score..take and 8Iron and swing 40% at it...you will clear the bunker safely into green 2 put for par or at worse double..make it easy on you..I had the same issue take one or two extra club swing 50%-70%..You will break 100 in the next round..I promise you

Try it for 1 round ..EVERY CLUB SWING 50% (DRIVER THROUGH LW, regardless of what the situation is or score is, JUST PLAY YOUR OWN GAME REGARDLESS OF WHAT OTHERs ARE DOING)...You will build your confidence and will more accurate with your shots

You're assuming that you have the same skill sets as @goatlord , his is being able to hit long distances. His pitching wedge is short for his driver distances. I just fixed this issue a couple months ago. I was flipping, so my distance was only 110 as well.

This game has so many variables, any one or more of them could stop you from scoring lower.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I couldn't agree with you more..on slowing the Tempo..Improves game dramtically...Obviously he would feel like he is swinging 50% but in reality...he would be no where close to less than 70-75%...GOLF LESSONS (MUST) but I have golfing buddies...taking lessons and practicing 3-4 times at the range..sure at the range hit great shot..but at the course fall apart like a deck of cards...I never took lesson..but scoring better..Im going to my first lesson in March..and the only thing Im interested in is to avoid 2 way Miss and how to use hybrid to its full potential..Im very happy with my irons and wedges...7/10 times I would be with in 20 yards off target (150 yards in)..if you have some tips please pass it on.

I couldn't agree with you more..on slowing the Tempo..Improves game dramtically...Obviously he would feel like he is swinging 50% but in reality...he would be no where close to less than 70-75%...GOLF LESSONS (MUST) but I have golfing buddies...taking lessons and practicing 3-4 times at the range..sure at the range hit great shot..but at the course fall apart like a deck of cards...I never took lesson..but scoring better..Im going to my first lesson in March..and the only thing Im interested in is to avoid 2 way Miss and how to use hybrid to its full potential..Im very happy with my irons and wedges...7/10 times I would be with in 20 yards off target (150 yards in)..if you have some tips please pass it on.

I don't necessarily believe in golf tips.  Again, might work for some, I've never really seen a tip help anyone, though (in the long run).  I am completely not qualified to be giving any kind of tips either.

What I know is, for me, lessons changed my golf.  You have to be ready for a change. Please don't take it personally, but unless you are a very low single digit or better, you should not go into a lesson demanding anything.  If you found a good instructor, he should work on things you need, not things you think you need.  I'll say it again, might work differently for you, but this has been my experience.

Alright, I know this is an average distance thread, but I'm not gonna start a new thread about this and I'm pumped enough I want to share/brag.  I've been working on getting the club face closed by actually getting my front hip high and away from the ball rather than being handsy or relying on timing to basically stop my body at A6 and let my hands drift through.  Still a work in progress overall, but it's already paid huge dividends with the driver, giving me maybe 10-15 yards and lots of piercing bombs right down the middle, straight or with a baby draw.

Yesterday morning I drove 6" off the green on a 357 yard hole!  Slightly raised tee box, level-ish fairway out to 240 or so, downhill fairway to ~275, then steeper downhill to a depression maybe 10 yards short of the green before a tough, steep uphill green.  Google Earth hides the ruler box when I switch to my screen grad app, but the line below measured 341 yards.  Pin was in the back but I made the tough two putt for birdie!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Alright, I know this is an average distance thread, but I'm not gonna start a new thread about this and I'm pumped enough I want to share/brag.  I've been working on getting the club face closed by actually getting my front hip high and away from the ball rather than being handsy or relying on timing to basically stop my body at A6 and let my hands drift through.  Still a work in progress overall, but it's already paid huge dividends with the driver, giving me maybe 10-15 yards and lots of piercing bombs right down the middle, straight or with a baby draw.

Yesterday morning I drove 6" off the green on a 357 yard hole!  Slightly raised tee box, level-ish fairway out to 240 or so, downhill fairway to ~275, then steeper downhill to a depression maybe 10 yards short of the green before a tough, steep uphill green.  Google Earth hides the ruler box when I switch to my screen grad app, but the line below measured 341 yards.  Pin was in the back but I made the tough two putt for birdie!

Now that's a drive ! ! !

Must be our So. Cal. weather. Which course did you play?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Now that's a drive ! ! !

Must be our So. Cal. weather. Which course did you play?

Dawn patrol, number 7 at Rancho Park.  Definitely the ground is hard with the drought and all, but it was cool and misty and the grass was wet, so the rolls weren't epic (for around here).  Obviously even my best drive doesn't carry 315 or anything, so I got a ton of help from the roll and downhill.  But I put a bunch out over 300 carry+roll.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Its good that Lessons worked great for you..Im quite happy where I am...May need minor adjustment...and thats all care for...I neither have time nor patience for lessons..I figures it out so far...Work on my short game...thats where Im loosing 4-5 shots a round to break 80...I enjoy playing than getting all caught up in mechanics..GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Its good that Lessons worked great for you..Im quite happy where I am...May need minor adjustment...and thats all care for...I neither have time nor patience for lessons..I figures it out so far...Work on my short game...thats where Im loosing 4-5 shots a round to break 80...I enjoy playing than getting all caught up in mechanics..GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Yes, we are all different, and at different stages as well. I agree about the short game, my lowest round of 78 I only hit 7 greens, I got up and down 6 times though. Is your handicap accurate? I'm asking bc you are aiming at breaking 80 whereas a 25 capper would usually have trouble breaking 90. My dad is a 25 and he breaks a 100 every now and then.

My not-so-low handicap is mainly due the inconsistency i had last autumn, especially with iron shots. Last autumn I have made total of 4 birdies which make a ton of stableford points with my hcp. On the other hand, I have never played a round of golf without a zero points hole.

My main winter practice has been just for consistency, especially with iron shots and with the new driver I suddenly needed (previous one was regular shaft and explains why there was inconsistency with drives a lot).

My not-so-low handicap is mainly due the inconsistency i had last autumn, especially with iron shots. Last autumn I have made total of 4 birdies which make a ton of stableford points with my hcp. On the other hand, I have never played a round of golf without a zero points hole.

My main winter practice has been just for consistency, especially with iron shots and with the new driver I suddenly needed (previous one was regular shaft and explains why there was inconsistency with drives a lot).

I'm sorry goatlord, I directed that questions to Raul.  Your handicap seems in sync with the scores that you are posting.  Hopefully with all the work you've put in into your golf swing, that number will drop dramatically when the snow is gone. :)

I have had issue with breaking 90...always 91, 92, 90 then I looked at my round..my short game was the issue, was loosing 5-6 shots a round...mostly PITCHING from 100 yards in and PUTTING..So i picked a par 3 course...worked on my pitching and short game 125 yards in, also must have played that par 3 course 10-15 times to understand my misses and approach...The last 3 rounds I played (18 hole) ..saved 6-7 shots..86, 84, 84..if im 150 yards in the worst I'll do is bogey...coz I have practices all those and I know my misses..so I don't have to chip (may be twice/round) anything and give my self any chance to to make Par or at worse bogey...So I give myself NO CHANCE TO MAKE anything over Bogey...regardless of what other are doing....Its just I know my game..my strengths and weakness..I am not a long hitter..so I accept it and play to my strengths which is pitching it close (Long Par 4s..I dont try to to hit GIR, instead I will lay up 50 yards and from there I know which club to cary 40ish yards and release 10ish yards). so Im waiting to log another 7 rounds (total of 10 rounds before I change my handicap)..coz old habits can creep in very easily...AFTER ALL GOLF IS ALL ABOUT HAVING FUN AND PLAYING TO YOUR STRENGTHS

Note: This thread is 980 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!