IGNORED

The Open Championship Moves to ESPN

BigAl5150
Note: This thread is 5647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hope they actually show the majority of the rounds, instead of making a 1hour edited show for primetime. As a Bass fisherman and devout follower of the Bassmaster Elite series, ESPN has pissed me off many times. A four day tournament cut down to a 30 minute show, with more advertisements than content. I also hope they have decent golf commentators. In the past for other sports(soccer, fishing, yachting, gymnastics, etc.) they have used either hollywood type celebs or clueless sports celebs that have no idea about the sport they are talking about.

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

In the past they have used ABC people for their golf, so I'd imagine this will continue.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Starting in 2010, ESPN will televise live all four rounds of the Open Championship.

That's terrible! I know this is hard to believe, but in rural areas there are some of us that still don't have cable available. And I am not, call me cheap, paying for a satelite service! I'd rather pay for greens fees.

That's terrible! I know this is hard to believe, but in rural areas there are some of us that still don't have cable available. And I am not, call me cheap, paying for a satelite service! I'd rather pay for greens fees.

I sure hope you get that converter box, or you won't have any any TV!

Seriously, do you have rabbit ears or something? -And Tirico is a pro.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

I sure hope you get that converter box, or you won't have any any TV!

I already got it and I get 12 channels for free, haha. Got a big old outside antennae. I could probably get more channels, but I get all those in one position on the antennae.

Its times like these that make me think how thankful I should be for the BBC.
The masters and The Open covered every year, with no advert breaks whatsoever .
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Its times like these that make me think how thankful I should be for the BBC.

You are very lucky in that respect. I despise waiting on a television show and having to watch more commercials than anything. ESPN is infamous for this.

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

I think ESPN does some pretty innovative things with their broadcasts of other major sports -- so I'm hopeful that they might use this opportunity to come up with some new ways to present golf and hopefully expand it's intrigue. ESPN received the contract with R&A; because of ESPN's innovative ideas. Let's face it, in the US the British Open just doesn't get the coverage of the other majors. I think this is a great move -- if ESPN does one thing well, it's marketing their products. I personally am looking forward to ESPN sending their Sports Center crew across the Atlantic each year to cover this. It will be a big deal, and I think it's very exciting.

But I do agree that the recap coverage for those without cable is not enough. They need to simulcast on both, it's not right to assume everyone can afford cable. But in the US, the Open Championship is just not the same as the Masters or the US Open (obviously). Hopefully this will go some way towards giving this truly special event it's greater due!

I was lucky enough to be at The Open Championship this year and bought one of the radios to listen to the on course commentators and they were amazing. They were also broadcast over the net and through stellite radio and I will definitely be tuning in next year to those guys. They were mainly ex-tour pros from the European tour and were all good friends who were able to tease each other in the slow periods of play and add their own experiences in there too. Very funny guys which helped to take the edge off the tears when Norman capitulated AGAIN on day four...

Driver 9.5* 905T w/ Stiff V2 Shaft
3 Wood 15* 906F2 w/ Stiff V2 Shaft
Irons AP2 3-P w/ Project X 5.5
Wedges Vokey 200 series 52* and SM 58*
Putter Black series No. 1Ball TP Black

hopefully we wont have any bonehead espn guy yapping on and on. By the way where are they havin the open this year

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

Turnberry, Ailsa course. Which was the scene for the 'Duel in the sun' between Watson and Nicklaus. The vid of it is on youtube and I strongly recommend people watching it. Broken into 8 parts but great value watching anyway. Worth it for the last 4 holes.

Driver 9.5* 905T w/ Stiff V2 Shaft
3 Wood 15* 906F2 w/ Stiff V2 Shaft
Irons AP2 3-P w/ Project X 5.5
Wedges Vokey 200 series 52* and SM 58*
Putter Black series No. 1Ball TP Black

Tirico and Peter Aliss for 4 rounds....Thats too much.

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I'll put it on the line and say that by 2010, *if* ESPN broadcasts over the internet, the feed should be half decent, qualitywise. That is a big *if*. Lets hope the networks learned something from the Olympics.

That doesn't solve the distribution problem though because broadband penetration in the US is still low (though getting better), relative to other advanced countries.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5647 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!