IGNORED

Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips

Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Didn't some hacker say holding golf club is like holding a dove-you dont want to crush it be you dont want it to fly away.

HMMMMMMM,

Driver: Adams 9015 proto (ozik matrix shaft)
3w: TM V-Steel 15* grafalloy blue (42 inches)
3-pw: Miura Tournament Blades w/ rifle 5.5
wedges: 588 Clevelands 47* 51* 56*
putter: Scotty Cameron oil can (97)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The two 'different' grips are basically the same (placing your hands as close together as possible to stop the right hand 'over powering' the left). In terms of technical differences there are very few, and both have been used successfully (interlock: Tiger, Nicklaus, Daly. Overlap: Watson, Norman, Faldo), Steve Jones (reverse overlap) and Jim Furyk (double overlap) even use very individual ways of connecting their hands but it isn't really important, more important is the orientation of your hands to the clubface.

In my Tour bag
Driver - Cyberstar (9*), cut to 43.5 inches long with tonnes of lead tape attatched to the head.
Fairway 909F2 (13.5*), Diamana blue 83 shaft, 42 inches long
Rescues Heaven wood (17*)
909h (21*) Diamana blue shaft Irons Pro M (3-PW), Rifle 5.0 shafts Wedges KZG TRS (52* +...

It does make sense but you can't tell me that this is the first thing with golf that you have said "what sense does that make"

Holding a dove, a tube of toothpaste, light enough so someone could pull it away or the "2 on a scale of 1 to 10". What is 2 out of 10? or 'light' ? These are all relative terms. What a 2 out of 10 for Joe is not the same FEELING as 2 out of 10 for Frank.

Where do YOU feel it when the clubshaft starts down from the top, building speed and pressure and creating lag? You feel it in your hands - ideally in the index finger of the lower hand and the last 3 fingers of the top hand. If the shaft is bending then your hands are holding pretty tight and if the shaft is lagging, the wrists are bent and loose.

The trouble is most people squeeze too tight and stress out their lower arms, so "light grip" was a tip that made thou$and$. How about "keep your head down." There's identifying the effect and missing the cause .

This has been quite a threadjack. I only ask that what I have to say makes you think. To improve your ideas on this game, I challenge you to ask "why" to everything you've heard.

• Administrator
This has been quite a threadjack.

Recognizing this, you shouldn't have posted.

Back to topic.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

well from what I can tell with a couple of buckets the interlock it doing well. It seems to remove the over powering of my right hand. Seems that I've lost some of the flip at the bottom becasue my left wrist is staying flat at impact. Now is this a direct result of the grip change? Not sure but I'm going to hit some more and see what happens.

I appreciate all the comments and the help.

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff
Taylormade V Steel 3 and 5 wood

Bridgestone J33 R Hybrid 21* NV Shaft
Mizuno MP Quad Cut 52* and 56* Spinner Shafts

Scotty Cameron Newport Two TeI3

I disagree that "tighter = better."

I believe he used the wrong word when he said tighter. A better description would be firmer with less pressure.

I noticed the same thing with the interlock grip. when I take my left index finger off the club, my other three fingers would seem to try and compensate by gripping tighter. Because I don't feel I have full control of the club with only 3 fingers on it, I subconsiously (sp?) grasp the club to tightly. My left hand feels more in control with all four fingers in contact with the club. Consequently I'm able to use a lighter grip because I feel more in control of the club.

Instight XTD A30S Driver 10.5° ($69 new ebay)
Instight XTD A3OS Fairway Wood 15° ($45 new ebay)
Fybrid 19.5° ($35 new ebay)
Ci7 4-GW ($175 new Rock Bottom Golf via ebay)
53° & 58° 8620 DD wedges ($75 each new PGA Superstore) C2-DF ($35 new Rock Bottom Golf) Riley TT stand bag ($7 n...

I used to have a bad time flipping the club at impact. I switched to the 10 finger a long time ago. I like it because it puts more feel in my right hand, and it helps me drive my hands through the ball instead of flipping through it. The key with it is to keep your hands from getting separated. They have to stay close together. If they get too far apart, bad things start to happen.

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

Wheni started playing i had a baseball grip but after a few lessons i started using an interlocking grip. i used it for a good while but when i started hit the ball bad and the club slipping in my hand i started to expreiment with the overlapping grip. i find that it gives me a more stable hold and better grip on the club. it doesnt hurt my pinky at all like it does with other people. i have tried the interlocking again but didnt seem to work at all so im sticking with the overlapping..
Driver: Taylormade R9
fairway wood: Cleveland Launcher 15 degree
hybrid: titleist 585 17
irons: Taylormade mb tp smoke 3-pw
wedges: Titleist vokey wedgesputter:sc ss newport 2, 34"Bag: ping vantage bag(team bag)

• 4 months later...
I was just wondering if there are any pros and cons for any of the different grips (i.e. distance, control, accuracy). And if anyone uses the double interlock grip?

Bag: Ogio
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 gold stiff
3W: Pro Select 15*
Irons: Pro Select 3-PW
Wedge:Adams Tom Watson set GW, SW, LWPutter: Cleveland VP 1balls: E6+ or Srixonshoes: Adidas powerband"Stop looking at my ears and play!"Home course. Antler Creek; tees; Black 77.5/150, Gold...

There aren't really any notable cons to any correct grip, it's mostly just about what feels most comfortable in your hands.

Personally, I use an interlock, which I started using because I have small hands, and have stuck with it since it feels the most right. I haven't really heard of anyone using double interlock other than Jim Furyk (he also uses a double overlap), but I don't know why you'd want to copy anything off of such an awkward swing.

In my bag:
'07 Burner (10.5*) Driver
Unknown model 3 & 5 Woods (next to get replaced)
Rescue (21*) Hybrid
Di7 4i-GW 56/08 Oil Can Wedge Rossa Blade Putter NXT Tour Balls

The most common ones are interlock and overlap. Try those two and use the one you feel most comfortable with. After playing for some time with either I don't think it makes that much of a difference. I was recommended the interlock because of small hands, has worked for me.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The interlocking grip I believe helps quites your wrists while the overlaping grip I believe allows more wrist and hand action. When I started playing golf years ago, when I was a wi little lad, I started with an interlocking grip. this grip gave me control and kept my wrists quite. I played well with that grip when I was young and through High School. I shattered my right wrist when I was 19 and didn't play golf for years. when I returned to golf my old grip wasn't the same. I realized I was unable to turn the club properly through impact. I switched to an overlaped grip after noticing my issues. The switch has allowed me to play consistant golf.

~It's the Indian not the Arrow ~

In my bag:
Driver: X460
3 Wood: WarbirdIrons: X18 Pros (3-PW)56 degree wedge: Oil can60 degree wedge: FeO2Putter: Desert Club: ISI 8 Iron~Still looking for a Straw hat~

I took a couple of lessons from different instructors and they both told me to use whichever (interlocking/overlapping) is more comfortable. I wish they had said "try both and see which works better for you". Overlapping is more natural and comfortable for me, but out of desperation I tried interlocking and (knock on wood) it is working much better for me so far. I guess the lesson is don't be afraid to try both just because one doesn't feel natural in the beginning.

Been playing just a few months but I play almost every day.

What's in my bag: Distance Master Driver, Maltby Trouble Out woods/hybrids, Maltby KE4 Irons (all assembled by me so I can never blame my equipment).

I have huge index fingers, and tiny pinkies, so the overlap doesn't fit my hands at all. Interlock has worked great so far.
In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

God grips it the plague of my game. I have switched grips 4 times this year. Went from a baseball grip, to overlapping, to interlocking and back to over lapping.

I cant get comfy with any of them, I have this problem with my thumb, it has to be holding the right side of the club, Ive tried to move it so its not on the club but I feel like i have no control... its a pain in my arse.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

I hear ya on the changing. I went overlap to interlock and it worked for a while but feels different to me. I went back to overlap. Now I have a slight fade but I don't mind that as a natural swing. I still use a interlock on my driver can't really say why. Just feels okay.

Bag: Ogio
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 gold stiff
3W: Pro Select 15*
Irons: Pro Select 3-PW
Wedge:Adams Tom Watson set GW, SW, LWPutter: Cleveland VP 1balls: E6+ or Srixonshoes: Adidas powerband"Stop looking at my ears and play!"Home course. Antler Creek; tees; Black 77.5/150, Gold...

I was hesitant the address the 'difference' between the grips because I'm no expert and no fan of spreading bad information, but I guess it's safe to give my personal impression if I stress that it's my personal impression.

So, my personal impression as a beginning golfer is that for me the interlocking grip seems to lock my hands hands and wrists into position making it more difficult for me to do something goofy with my hands/wrists during the swing. This in turn seems to help my entire swing. So basically, with the interlocking it is easier for me to keep from "doin' it wrong" (tm). If I had a proper overlapping grip and kept it throughout the swing it would probably work just fine.

For the record Men's XL golf gloves are snug on my hands so it's not a matter of small hands for me (like I've read in some articles).

Been playing just a few months but I play almost every day.

What's in my bag: Distance Master Driver, Maltby Trouble Out woods/hybrids, Maltby KE4 Irons (all assembled by me so I can never blame my equipment).

Note: This thread is 4014 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!