IGNORED

Rory McIlroy: 'better than Tiger Woods'

RichF
Note: This thread is 5493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You would have to be golf illiterate to not realize what a great talent McIlroy is at this stage of his life. Yes he's is better than Tiger in the sense that he has won on tour at 19. Will he end up better or as good as Tiger,,,I sure hope so. It's good to see a nice kid like him coming up through the ranks without all the Over-Bloated-Tiger-Type-Hype we normally get when
Woods is around.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

72 73 71 70

Consistent showing from the future #1 - McIlroy's winning this during the next 3 years.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I am sorry I find this thread a premature joke. I love watching Rory play and agree he will be a top player. My problem is the promotion of him by guys like Rich just because he is if from Europe. 10 years ago he would have said the same thing about Garcia and look where he is. In the real world its results that count, not pure talent. 14 majors says a lot to me and I dont believe Rory will ever win that many. Anyone who makes a statement about any current pro being better then Woods either doesn't like Woods or is Anti-American. People are speculating on how good he will be, noone in their right mind thinks he is better then Woods. Great golf is more then plain technique, will see in the future what type of heart or will Mr. Rory has.

I am sorry I find this thread a premature joke. I love watching Rory play and agree he will be a top player. My problem is the promotion of him by guys like Rich just because he is if from Europe. 10 years ago he would have said the same thing about Garcia and look where he is. In the real world its results that count, not pure talent. 14 majors says a lot to me and I dont believe Rory will ever win that many. Anyone who makes a statement about any current pro being better then Woods either doesn't like Woods or is Anti-American. People are speculating on how good he will be, noone in their right mind thinks he is better then Woods. Great golf is more then plain technique, will see in the future what type of heart or will Mr. Rory has.

Well, you aren't wrong by stating this because of the European-link, but really, I have no sway either with the PGA or European Tour.

I watch and follow both in equal measure. As for the 'better than Tiger Woods' quote, I think you have to pointing the finger at Mr O'Meara...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

It's possible to see McIroy outpace Tiger for the next five years. Win a major and a few tournaments worldwide, maybe even match Seve's record for a Euro at age 24. Matching Tiger's record for the decade beyond that? Good luck Rory, You'll need it. If he, or anyone else, can at least be Watson to Woods' Nicklaus, that will be a major accomplishment.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

I couldn't agree with you more. Just another European homer or Woods hater. 10 years ago they were all having wet dreams about Sergio and look where he got them. But I don't blame Europeans for having all these delusions of grandeur. Aside from Padraig, Henrik and Geoff, I wouldn't know where else to look.

Well, you aren't wrong by stating this because of the European-link, but really, I have no sway either with the PGA or European Tour.

O'Meara said "at that age"...so don't pawn off your ideas on him. I'm not disagreeing with him at all. but I will guarantee you Rory will NOT win 14 majors. And Woods isn't even done yet, so who knows how many Rory be shooting for in years to come. I like Rory and his game and wish him nothing but luck and as many victories as he can chalk up, but it's hard to fathom there will ever be another Tiger (or Jack for those of you that think Jack is better)

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

I couldn't agree with you more. Just another European homer or Woods hater. 10 years ago they were all having wet dreams about Sergio and look where he got them. But I don't blame Europeans for having all these delusions of grandeur. Aside from Padraig, Henrik and Geoff, I wouldn't know where else to look.

You're not getting it at all, are you? This is nothing to do with whether McIlroy will win more majors or even half-as-many or whether he gets his own PS3/XBOX franchise or whether he become the most recongized player, globally.

Do you think that guys like Ogilvy or Els, who've been quoted as saying similar things about McIlroy have an axe to grind as well? Does the US media who've picked up on McIlroy have an anti-Woods stance too? I'm not turning this into another PGA vs European Tour argument, I'll leave tjhat to you guys - but as I've said before, if you read my post properly, I have no alegiance to either as I watch both in equal measure, and for the record, Woods is the most watched player in my home as well. Leave the Garcia argument out of this: as good a player he is, his temperament isn't even on the level of McIlroy's - and that's what's going to get McIlroy majors. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to pipe up and say so...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

But i don't think that just major success can be counted as indicators of golfing greatness. If we look at Colin Montgomerie for example, he has never won a major (he has come close on several occasions), but you could never consider him to be just an average journeyman pro (8 European Tour Order of Merits). You have to look at prize money won, his impact on the wider game, and performance in Ryder Cup matches.

I think it is important to understand that it is the powers that be who decide which tournaments are majors and which events carry the most world ranking points. From a golfing intellectual's point of view, it should be considered that The Masters is not really a major, as granted it is a very difficult course, but it is a small field, and a large proportion of it is made up of invitees (many of whom are past their best eg, Player and Langer) and past winners who do not feature very prominently in the World Rankings (eg Larry Mize). However, the US Open, the British Open and the US PGA Champion are bonafide majors in my view as the fields are at least twice as large and many players have to qualify, rather than be invited for these events. Considering that Garcia has not won a major, but has won the Players (which is a 'major'), i think that he should be considered as one of the greats. To the question of whether McIlroy is better than Woods, i think that time will tell within the next 5 years. If he can win 2 or 3 majors in this time then in my view he is well on his way to being 'better than Woods'. But as i said before, a golfer's success should be measured in more than just merely major terms. I think McIlroy's attitude is already better than that of Woods, as Tiger is becoming a little too arrogant and expects to win all the time (Jack's target of 18 majors will become harder to reach over time, as TW is already discovering).

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't O'Meara say this about somebody else late last year? Like Anthony Kim or something? Is he just trying to get in the news? Maybe on one person, but to say that about 2? I like Mark but enouhg already....

Thank you! Yes he said that about Anthony Kim. It's standard British press/tabloid garbage. The kid is money but lets let him develop a bit. At least 21 years old or something. He is very exciting though, it was too bad the way he finished his third round at Augusta because he was at -4 and could've been a factor on Sunday.

Driver - TaylorMade R7 425
3-Wood - Callaway Original Steelhead
Irons - Ben Hogan 3-PW Apex FTX, Rifle 6.5
Wedges - Titleist Vokey 52, 56, and 60
Putter - Scotty 2004 Newport Beach 1.5

I thought the same thing about Anthony Kim last year until I noticed that his work ethic is nothing compared to Tiger's. I don't know about Rory though.

----------------------------------------------------------------
What's in My Bag?
Driver - R9 460 10.5* UST Proforce V2
F Wood - SQ2 3W 15* UST Proforce V2
Hybrid - Baffler DWS 20* Fujikura SpeederIrons - Pro CB (4-PW) Project X 6.0Wedges - CG14 52* CG12 56* & CG15 DSG 60* Putter - Studio...

It's fun to think about the young guns out there and how they will stack up to Tiger (or any other of the games best). But as for Tiger - love him or hate him it's hard to think that he will stop before holding the majors record and the total wins record for that matter and THAT is one steep hill to climb. Good luck to all of them and to Tiger too!

I think in three years you would be able to tell better whether or not he has the potential to be better than Tiger. Sergio was supposed to be better than Tiger as well....

To become better than Tiger, the player need extraordinary talent, unlike anything we have seen before. Or an incredible talent, work ethics, dedication and mental strength.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

tha kid can play but we all know that tiger is the best that ever walked the planet

I wouldn't use 'We" in your comment!

Tiger is the most dominant player in the 'Bomb & Gouge Era" and mostly because he is the best putter of this era but greatest ever to walk the planet is very much subject to era's! Who is to say that Old Tom Morris isn't actually the greatest of all time! Everyone wants to believe that they lived in the greatest time/era ever so they wrongfully love branding the best of that time frame as "Greatest Ever"! Jack Nicklaus is the greatest I've ever seen but I only have him and Tiger to compare, perhaps Byron Nelson was greater than either one of them! As far as McIlroy, the kid is fantastic and a joy to watch play golf. Who knows what he will accomplish but I think he will be in the mix for quite some time in the future,,,I like the kid!!!!!!!!!!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

"On paper; at his age" he may be better than Tiger. But he'll never come near tigers accomplishments, fact is Tigers the best putter/pressure putter in the history of golf. Thats an attribute Rory cant buy. Stuff like this is just media trying to hype the next Tiger.. he's got game, but it wont be Rory.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

"On paper; at his age" he may be better than Tiger. But he'll never come near tigers accomplishments, fact is Tigers the best putter/pressure putter in the history of golf. Thats an attribute Rory cant buy. Stuff like this is just media trying to hype the next Tiger.. he's got game, but it wont be Rory.

He's 19. How can you say he'll never be as good a putter as Tiger, so early in his career?

Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

He's 19. How can you say he'll never be as good a putter as Tiger, so early in his career?

Because im smart and i can see the future

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

Because im smart and i can see the future

Ive always thought that Jack Nicklaus is the best clutch putter in the history of golf. (Tiger v Jack argument, lol).

Rory's attitude is already better than Tiger's at the tender age of 19. He's more genial and polite and knows how to conduct himself on the course. He bet he does not spit everywhere like Tiger does. When i play i don't do it so i don't know why Tiger and co do it (Sergio is just as bad).

Note: This thread is 5493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!