IGNORED

"Tour Tempo" by John Novosel

iacas
Note: This thread is 2777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know that we are specifically talking about Tour Tempo here, however I thought you might all want to check this out......IF You have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, that is.....
This is a $2.00 iPhone app that has the tempos of Tiger and other Tour Players programmed into it.
Unfortunately, I don't have either gadget, but would be interested to see If someone out there wanted to spend TWO Bucks, try it, and then maybe review it for the forum.

http://www.mygolfswing.biz/

Steve

R7 460 10.5 Degrees
Sasquatch 15 & 17 Degrees
MP60's 3-PW
T-Zoid Comp EZ Wedges 52 & 56
CG10 60 Degrees Tour Action Reg.588 64 Degrees White Hot #4 E6+ Balls

I think there is a golf equipment commercial (Nike?) that uses this. dink-dink-dink-DUNK!.

And then they play on it a bit. dink-dunk-dink-dunk

I think there is a golf equipment commercial (Nike?) that uses this. dink-dink-dink-DUNK!.

First four notes of Beethoven's Fifth and/or letter V in Morse Code.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

• 1 month later...
Just purchased this book last night and read it in one sitting. Pretty interesting stuff. I went and swung my Sandwedge to the audio CD last night, and found 27/9 to be quite slow. I went to 24/8 and that seemed to be my normal up and down speed (though I don't know if it were in 3:1 tempo or not). I'm going to practice with it again tonight and see if 21/7 is the better tempo for me.

As a lot of other people have said though, it immediately makes you think about lining up the beeps and not worrying about swing mechanics. I'm excited to start hitting some balls with this tempo and see if my contact has improved.

Driver: 907 D2 10.5 - Diamana Blue 65 Shaft
3-Wood: 906 F4 15.5 - Graphite Design YS-6+ Shaft
5-Wood: 906 F4 18.5 - Diamana Blue 75 Shaft
Irons: Rac TP CB Irons; 5.0 Flighted Rifle Shafts, 1 degree flat.
Wedges: Rac TP Black 52:08; 56:12Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 - 35"B...

Just purchased this book last night and read it in one sitting. Pretty interesting stuff. I went and swung my Sandwedge to the audio CD last night, and found 27/9 to be quite slow. I went to 24/8 and that seemed to be my normal up and down speed (though I don't know if it were in 3:1 tempo or not). I'm going to practice with it again tonight and see if 21/7 is the better tempo for me.

If you have decent mechanics, you will see a noticeable improvement in your ball striking right away. It helps you "get out of your own way" mentally and just react. I find that I tend to play a lot faster now and spend a fraction of the time I used to spend over the ball. Both good things......

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

If you have decent mechanics, you will see a noticeable improvement in your ball striking right away. It helps you "get out of your own way" mentally and just react. I find that I tend to play a lot faster now and spend a fraction of the time I used to spend over the ball. Both good things......

Yeah, the reviews from everyone here really convinced me. The swing did really feel natural last night when doing it. Before, I felt as if I were forcing things (hips, shoulders, wrists, etc.) to be in the right place at the right time. Probably sending my tempo into dissaray.

I'm really excited to hit a ball and see if this really is as good as it sounds. :D

Driver: 907 D2 10.5 - Diamana Blue 65 Shaft
3-Wood: 906 F4 15.5 - Graphite Design YS-6+ Shaft
5-Wood: 906 F4 18.5 - Diamana Blue 75 Shaft
Irons: Rac TP CB Irons; 5.0 Flighted Rifle Shafts, 1 degree flat.
Wedges: Rac TP Black 52:08; 56:12Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 - 35"B...

I watched a youtube video promoting this last night. It had a small clip featuring the tempo tone. Since I am pretty good with audio production, I sampled the clip and looped it.

Wow. I never in my life until last night felt torque in my body swinging the club like that. The tempo forces you to swing in a way the doesn't leave any time for swing thoughts or lining up this or that. Another thing I noticed is it significantly quited down my lower body on the backswing. I didn't hit any balls as it was a quarter to midnight, but I can't wait to take this to the range.

I'm ordering today.

What I love about this book is that the subject matter is so different from any other Golf Book that you'll find on the shelf. You look in the index of any other golf book for the word Tempo, and you'll find next to no help whatsoever. This really is a must have book.
Steve Snead

R7 460 10.5 Degrees
Sasquatch 15 & 17 Degrees
MP60's 3-PW
T-Zoid Comp EZ Wedges 52 & 56
CG10 60 Degrees Tour Action Reg.588 64 Degrees White Hot #4 E6+ Balls

very cool book i must say. i admit that after reading it and trying it out on the course i eagled my first par 5, and just plain started playing great. one thing i suspect that they kind of avoid is it's a waltz, i think. they try to doctor up the rhythms to conceal that on the CD, and make it really complicated with all the talk of frames, etc. but its just a triplet in music terms. tell me if i'm wrong? i think that would have made it too easy?

Shortgamewiz
c5_banana.gif

• 2 weeks later...
After reviewing this thread I started consciously going to a 1-2-3-4 count, with 4 being the downswing. Even without the sound tones, I can feel the difference in shot making. I tried it first on the practice range yesterday. I think my old tempo was more like 2/1. Using the 3/1 today I had one of my best nine holes on one particular local course. It seems to work for every kind of shot, from driving to putting and all in between. I have been doing other things to improve, but this felt like a definite and additive contribution on its own. Actually, one of my 'problems' today was that certain clubs were going a lot further than previously and overshooting the greens! Thanks to those who shared their results on the 3/1 concept.

Now I am confused...I finally downloaded the tones from the Tour Tempo web site. My idea of a 3/1 ratio was: three counts from beginning of backswing to top of backswing, and then one count downswing. So I have been counting 1-2-3-4, with 3 being top of backswing and 4 being impact. I listen to the tones and they are

two counts from beginning of backswing to top of backswing, and then one count downswing. In fact, from the Read Me file:
  1. Start your backswing on the first note.
  2. When you hear the second note, start swinging the club back down to impact.
  3. The third note corresponds to impact. Try to time your forward swing so that impact and the third note are simultaneous.
This, to me, is a 2/1 ratio, not a 3/1 ratio. Boy, if I am to use these tones, I will have to do a lot of mental reprogramming. What am I missing here?

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX

Now I am confused...I finally downloaded the tones from the Tour Tempo web site. My idea of a 3/1 ratio was: three counts from beginning of backswing to top of backswing, and then one count downswing. So I have been counting 1-2-3-4, with 3 being top of backswing and 4 being impact. I listen to the tones and they are

The "2" is silent.

• Administrator
This, to me, is a 2/1 ratio, not a 3/1 ratio. Boy, if I am to use these tones, I will have to do a lot of mental reprogramming. What am I missing here?

That only works if they're the same time apart.

Perhaps this will make sense: 1....................................2.........3.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That only works if they're the same time apart.

Spot on, there is twice as long in between tones 1 & 2 as there is between tones 2 & 3

not to scale but if it was based on a whole second it would be as follows: BEEP 2 seconds BEEP 1 second BEEP hope this helps.

Ok, I did not pick up on the longer time between 1 to 2 vs. 2 to 3. I will work with it some more. Thanks.

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX

Haven't read the book, but the principles bring to mind a SmashGolf swing (YouTube) clip which I found somewhere on Sand Trap recently.

SmashGolf tells us that, after in initial smooth start to takeaway, to whip the club backward to the top. Possibly this snappy "cocking" momentum triggers a livelier downswing and release than a leisurely trip to the top. Smash Golf is big on ever-increasing acceleration during swing.

Regardless of actual "time to top," I think what amateurs need to do is coil consistently on full shots. If you don't always come to your top point consistently, it will throw off your tempo. If I don't coil fully, I often have a bad pull left - I rotated back partially, but rotated down and under fully.

I was on the same swing monitor several times a couple of years ago, and I noticed one thing. If I had a total swing speed of 1.8 seconds, I hit the ball about 10 yards farther than with a 1.6 second swing time. I suggest that shows the benefits of a full coil.

So, make sure you coil fully in your 3:1 tempo pursuit.
-------------
Coil fully is going to vary from golfer to golfer. My coil fully with a 3/4 normal swing will be less dramatic than for someone with a more upright swing who reaches a foot above the head.
-------------

Also, does this Tempo plan somehow increase lag? Any thoughts on this?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, ALL the songs, beeps, etc are to a 2:1 ratio in Tour Tempo. It was a real turn off to buy the book, read it, put the mp3 on the player, start listening to them, and within a few seconds realize they were in a 2:1 ratio. It really doesn't take a degree in music to realize that.
Then, since I'm not in music, I wanted to make sure. I opened the mp3s in a sound editor and marked the first, second and third beeps on a 27/9 song. Beep one happened exactly at 4.075 seconds, beeps 2 at 5.000 seconds and beep 3 at 5.462 seconds. Not only the ratio was 2:1 but also the total time elapsed between beep 1 and 3 was 1.40 seconds, and not the 1.20 that was supposed to be for 27/9.
It's good to be brainwashed with all the beautiful theory and everything. But when you realize the sound files that come with the product are off not only in tempo but also in rhythm, it's a real turn off and a slap on the face "you've been fooled!".
It doesn't matter if the method works, it doesn't matter if it improves your game, distance, consistency, whatever. Despite all of that, it still made me very disappointed with the author. I'm pretty sure he knows the beeps are off, I mean, it's is too obvious.

That's my two cents...

Yes, ALL the songs, beeps, etc are to a 2:1 ratio in Tour Tempo. It was a real turn off to buy the book, read it, put the mp3 on the player, start listening to them, and within a few seconds realize they were in a 2:1 ratio. It really doesn't take a degree in music to realize that.

One thing that some people miss is that the beeps are NOT supposed to be on exactly the 3:1 ratios. People keep trying to equate it to music and test the timing, but they forget that the timing is supposed to included the human reaction time. As described fairly well in the book, Novosel's original attempts at doing this resulted in the wrong timing when the player actually swings the club. The time interval between the first and second beeps takes into account the reaction time for the body to start moving after the brain registers the first beep, and similarly for the time to react after hearing the second beep. And then the third beep should coincide with impact (no extra reaction time built in to the timing). As Novocel repeatedly says in the book, don't anticipate the beeps - react to them. If one does that and uses this method properly, the

swing will then be on the 3:1 ratios as identified in his research even though the beep timing isn't exactly 3:1. Read the book .

I hit a few buckets today, I have to say it really helped me. I bought the tones with video and a word document somplace on the web. Loaded up the tones on the ipod shuffle and off to the range this afternoon.

I've been looking for something to still the voices in my head over the ball, this does it, and, as I hoped, the tempo made things work better in general. from pitching to the driver.... really felt good.

Tee time at 8:06 tomorrow .... we'll see how it goes!
Dan in Dallas...

Python XL Driver
Python XL Fairway
Big Bertha 3-SWTour Platinum 7802 Putter

Note: This thread is 2777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!